Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying prepaid Visa cards with Wal-Mart CC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Buying prepaid Visa cards with Wal-Mart CC

I didn't know it could even be done, but one of my acquaintances was able to buy prepaid Visa cards from Wal-Mart, and paid for them with a Wal-mart store card. How/why is that even possible?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: Buying prepaid Visa cards with Wal-Mart CC

Nice way of giving a present for someone hard to buy for. It's not a good long term practice but once in awhile shouldn't raise red flags.
Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 15
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I didn't know it could even be done, but one of my acquaintances was able to buy prepaid Visa cards from Wal-Mart, and paid for them with a Wal-mart store card. How/why is that even possible?

It's just a purchase of an item!    Some stores will restrict what method that they allow, I think at one stage you could use Walmart gift cards but that has probably stopped.

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Spoke with the person more in-depth about this. Apparently they had been denied on certain prepaid cards. Seems the only ones that work are the ones with the Wal-Mart spark logo on them. They have done this 6 times over the course of two months to get over $2k in prepaid cards. No AA from Synchrony as of yet. I guess that's a great alternative for people that didn't qualify for the Wal-Mart Mastercard.

I will definitely be curious to see if they eventually get shot down.

Message 4 of 15
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Spoke with the person more in-depth about this. Apparently they had been denied on certain prepaid cards. Seems the only ones that work are the ones with the Wal-Mart spark logo on them. They have done this 6 times over the course of two months to get over $2k in prepaid cards. No AA from Synchrony as of yet. I guess that's a great alternative for people that didn't qualify for the Wal-Mart Mastercard.

But they have to pay purchase fees for each card, so not sure the advantage

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Right. Aren't those fees pretty high?

Message 6 of 15
ttleigh
Regular Contributor

I wonder if it's just what cashier you get. One time I was using my Walmart card and I had a bunch of stuff including a gift card and the cashier threw a fit saying that I couldn't pay with my Walmart card and there's a lot of fraud, etc, it was kind of embarrassing. So I ended up just getting cash back from the Walmart card and putting that in the bday card. It didn't make sense to me that they would expect people to pay cash for the gift cards but she also made it sound like they wouldn't take any credit card to pay for the gift card.
She might have been wrong but I was embarrassed and just scurried out of there
Message 7 of 15
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@ttleigh wrote:
I wonder if it's just what cashier you get. One time I was using my Walmart card and I had a bunch of stuff including a gift card and the cashier threw a fit saying that I couldn't pay with my Walmart card and there's a lot of fraud, etc, it was kind of embarrassing. So I ended up just getting cash back from the Walmart card and putting that in the bday card. It didn't make sense to me that they would expect people to pay cash for the gift cards but she also made it sound like they wouldn't take any credit card to pay for the gift card.
She might have been wrong but I was embarrassed and just scurried out of there

Buying V/MC/Amex with a stolen credit card is a big concern for some retailers, which is why many have moved to a cash only policy.  (In addition, clever scammers have doctored gift cards, allowing them to drain the funds once someone loads them).

In some places, registers are programmed to prevent the purchase with ccs, some have a chain wide policy, others may differ by store.   In the last two cases, you will run into cashiers who will allow or deny contrary to the existing policy.

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Right. Aren't those fees pretty high?

The ones I have seen at the checkout lines are like $4.95 for up to $400.

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmmmm... I didn't know you could do this. Then again, I hate the idea of paying a fee so I would rather get a store gift card. 

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.