cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bye Bye BB&T! Hello Truist. New Card Offerings What does everyone think?

tag
slither43
Regular Contributor

Re: Bye Bye BB&T! Hello Truist. New Card Offerings What does everyone think?

@JNA1 wrote:

@Jazzcat wrote:

FYI......Just was able to activate BB&T Bright card on new truist web site.

Out of curiosity, what shows when you go down the •••more button at the bottom of the page on the mobile app and then select card controls. 

This is what mine shows, even though I still actually have the red BB&T card. 4F025E07-BDF4-4B38-9484-EA135F78D146.png

I have all 3 of the cards that were offered by BB&T. When I do as you said it now shows all the new Truist cards in their place. Interesting. So I wonder if they'll be issuing replacement rebranded cards??

Message 21 of 43
JNA1
Valued Contributor

@TMJ1974 wrote:

First, I want to thank the community here.  I've read through many articles over the past few years, but not commented much.  I've been fortunate to follow the guidance posted here to go from not having/using any credit cards to a Capital One Platinum card, to having a nice wallet full of premium travel cards and a few specific cash back options.

Now, onto these cards.  I'm pretty sure the non-travel BB&T cards had a foreign transaction fee.  I noticed none of these new ones list a FX fee.

Finally, I was waiting for the transition to decide on switching my banking.  The Truist Dimensions checking works for me, so I signed up.  I figure, while I was there, I'd go ahead and apply for the Enjoy Beyond.  I got the "we'll email you in 2 days."  With the bank holiday yesterday, I got the email today that I was approved!  $6500 limit.  I'll report more when I get the card.

Congrats! You're probably the first here to have the newest card. Post a thread in the Approvals section. I'm sure some other people would be interested to know more about that card. 

Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 22 of 43
FormerCollegeDJ
Frequent Contributor

@Rudy1 wrote:

Yesterday BB&T's website went down as they began the process of transferring accounts to the new Truist system. It is now Sunday and the website is back up. As with this merger Truist has replaced all cards BB&T offered. You can scroll down to you card if you want to see what's changed.

The BB&T Spectrum Travel Rewards has had some valuable changes one change is the name of the card has changed to the Truist Enjoy Travel Visa credit card. This card keeps the 2x and 1x rewards. Earn 2x miles per $1 spent on airfare, car rentals, and hotels. Earn 1x miles per $1 spent on all other eligible purchases just like the Spectrum Travel. It keeps the TSA pre check renewal up to $85 every four years. This card also still includes the 20,000 miles bonus but instead of having to spend $2000 you only have to spend $1500. The major change about this card is that it now has no annual fee. It's no no annual fee for the first year then $89. No it's no annual fee ever and it includes TSA that's pretty nice deal.

credit-cards-enjoy-travel@2x.pngThe Truist Enjoy Travel ( Formerly BB&T Spectrum Travel) 

Assuming the blue bolded above is not an error on the part of Truist, the TSA Pre-Check renewal on a no annual fee card is an extremely attractive feature.  I just checked the Truist website myself and the rewards language for the Truist Enjoy Travel Visa card says what is stated above.

Seeing that Truist largely kept the BB&T credit card lineup with some modifications, it will be interesting to see what Truist does with the SunTrust credit card lineup.  Do they do the same thing with the SunTrust cards as they did with the BB&T cards, or will the modified BB&T cards be the full Truist credit card lineup?  SunTrust's website is still active, while it appears the BB&T website has been replaced by the Truist website.  (When you do a search on Google for BB&T, the first web listing provided is a link to Truist.  Other BB&T links are shown but when you click on them you are redirected to the Truist website.)

EDIT: When looking more closely at SunTrust's current credit card offerings, it appears the new Truist Enjoy Cash card will be a replacement for the SunTrust Cash Rewards card and the new Truist Enjoy Beyond card will be a replacement for the SunTrust Travel Rewards card.

Comparison, Truist Enjoy Cash vs SunTrust Cash Rewards:

*Gas rewards - Truist: 3%, SunTrust: 2%

*Groceries - Truist: 2%, SunTrust: 2%

*Utilities - Truist: 2%, SunTrust: 1%

*Other purchases - Truist: 1%, SunTrust: 1%

*Introductory offer - Truist: 0% APR purchases 12 months, SunTrust: 0% APR purchases & balance transfers 15 months + 5% cash back on gas and groceries for first $6000 in spend in first 12 months

NOTE: With the Truist Enjoy Cash benefits, this assumes you choose the variable rewards option rather than the flat 1.5% rewards on all purchases option.

Comparison, Truist Enjoy Beyond vs SunTrust Travel Rewards:

*Travel - Truist: 3 points/$1 (airfare, hotels, car rentals only), SunTrust: 3% cash back

*Dining - Truist: 2 points/$1, SunTrust: 2% cash back

*Other purchases - Truist: 1 point/$1, SunTrust: 1% cash back

*Introductory offer - Truist: 30,000 bonus points if spend $1500 in first 90 days, SunTrust: $250 statement credit if spend $3000 on first 90 days + 0% APR balance transfers for first 15 months

*Annual fee - Truist: $195, SunTrust: $0 first year, $89 thereafter

Playing the credit card rewards game since early May 2020.

Current credit cards:
American Express: Hilton Honors
Bank of America: Customized Cash Rewards Visa
Capital One: SavorOne MC
Chase: Amazon Visa, Freedom Unlimited Visa, Freedom Flex MC
Citi: Sears/ThankYou Rewards MC, My Best Buy Visa, Custom Cash MC
Comenity: AAA Travel Advantage Visa
Discover: Cash It
Elan: S&T Bank Max Cash Preferred Visa
FNBO: Amtrak Guest Rewards Platinum MC
PSECU: Founder's Visa
U.S. Bank: Cash+ Visa
Wells Fargo: Autograph Visa
Store cards: Kohl's

Next target credit cards: Wells Fargo Bilt Mastercard (probably), Truist Enjoy Travel Visa (maybe)
Message 23 of 43
JNA1
Valued Contributor

@FormerCollegeDJ wrote:

@Rudy1 wrote:

Yesterday BB&T's website went down as they began the process of transferring accounts to the new Truist system. It is now Sunday and the website is back up. As with this merger Truist has replaced all cards BB&T offered. You can scroll down to you card if you want to see what's changed.

The BB&T Spectrum Travel Rewards has had some valuable changes one change is the name of the card has changed to the Truist Enjoy Travel Visa credit card. This card keeps the 2x and 1x rewards. Earn 2x miles per $1 spent on airfare, car rentals, and hotels. Earn 1x miles per $1 spent on all other eligible purchases just like the Spectrum Travel. It keeps the TSA pre check renewal up to $85 every four years. This card also still includes the 20,000 miles bonus but instead of having to spend $2000 you only have to spend $1500. The major change about this card is that it now has no annual fee. It's no no annual fee for the first year then $89. No it's no annual fee ever and it includes TSA that's pretty nice deal.

credit-cards-enjoy-travel@2x.pngThe Truist Enjoy Travel ( Formerly BB&T Spectrum Travel) 

Assuming the blue bolded above is not an error on the part of Truist, the TSA Pre-Check renewal on a no annual fee card is an extremely attractive feature.  I just checked the Truist website myself and the rewards language for the Truist Enjoy Travel Visa card says what is stated above.

Seeing that Truist largely kept the BB&T credit card lineup with some modifications, it will be interesting to see what Truist does with the SunTrust credit card lineup.  Do they do the same thing with the SunTrust cards as they did with the BB&T cards, or will the modified BB&T cards be the full Truist credit card lineup?  SunTrust's website is still active, while it appears the BB&T website has been replaced by the Truist website.  (When you do a search on Google for BB&T, the first web listing provided is a link to Truist.  Other BB&T links are shown but when you click on them you are redirected to the Truist website.)

EDIT: When looking more closely at SunTrust's current credit card offerings, it appears the new Truist Enjoy Cash card will be a replacement for the SunTrust Cash Rewards card and the new Truist Enjoy Beyond card will be a replacement for the SunTrust Travel Rewards card.

Comparison, Truist Enjoy Cash vs SunTrust Cash Rewards:

*Gas rewards - Truist: 3%, SunTrust: 2%

*Groceries - Truist: 2%, SunTrust: 2%

*Utilities - Truist: 2%, SunTrust: 1%

*Other purchases - Truist: 1%, SunTrust: 1%

*Introductory offer - Truist: 0% APR purchases 12 months, SunTrust: 0% APR purchases & balance transfers 15 months + 5% cash back on gas and groceries for first $6000 in spend in first 12 months

NOTE: With the Truist Enjoy Cash benefits, this assumes you choose the variable rewards option rather than the flat 1.5% rewards on all purchases option.

Comparison, Truist Enjoy Beyond vs SunTrust Travel Rewards:

*Travel - Truist: 3 points/$1 (airfare, hotels, car rentals only), SunTrust: 3% cash back

*Dining - Truist: 2 points/$1, SunTrust: 2% cash back

*Other purchases - Truist: 1 point/$1, SunTrust: 1% cash back

*Introductory offer - Truist: 30,000 bonus points if spend $1500 in first 90 days, SunTrust: $250 statement credit if spend $3000 on first 90 days + 0% APR balance transfers for first 15 months

*Annual fee - Truist: $195, SunTrust: $0 first year, $89 thereafter

They are also offering a version of the Enjoy Cash that is a flat 1.5% cash back card. It looks to be a replacement for the BB&T Vantage Signature card and will probably bridge the gap left by the Suntrust cards that will likely go away after 2022. 

Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 24 of 43
MisterWives
Regular Contributor

The BB&T Spectrum Cash Rewards has been replaced by the Enjoy Cash credit card it has the same benefits 3% cash back on gas 2% cash back on groceries and utilities (up to the combined $1,000 monthly spend cap) 1% cash back on all other eligible purchases but something that changed is their appears to be two versions of this card. One that has the Spectrum Cash Benefits which is option 1 and option 2 earns 1.5% on all eligible purchases. Both option 1 and 2 of this card keep the 0% for 12 months that the Spectrum Cash had. Both options have no annual fee.

Do people remember choosing their options? I don't remember selecting which one, but logging into the Truist website now for my card it's there I just don't know which benefit it has

Wants: PenFed Pathfinder Rewards(4x pts travel), PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature (5pts Gas, 3pts Restaurants and Grocery), U.S. Bank Cash+ (5% Categories), Chase Freedom Flex (5% Rotating Categories, 5% Travel, 3% Restaurants)
Message 25 of 43
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Nice! Looks like a good line-up. The Enjoy Cash especially sounds like a winner. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 13k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 26 of 43
FormerCollegeDJ
Frequent Contributor

@MisterWives wrote:

The BB&T Spectrum Cash Rewards has been replaced by the Enjoy Cash credit card it has the same benefits 3% cash back on gas 2% cash back on groceries and utilities (up to the combined $1,000 monthly spend cap) 1% cash back on all other eligible purchases but something that changed is their appears to be two versions of this card. One that has the Spectrum Cash Benefits which is option 1 and option 2 earns 1.5% on all eligible purchases. Both option 1 and 2 of this card keep the 0% for 12 months that the Spectrum Cash had. Both options have no annual fee.

Do people remember choosing their options? I don't remember selecting which one, but logging into the Truist website now for my card it's there I just don't know which benefit it has

My guess is previous BB&T Spectrum Cash Rewards cardholders probably default to option 1 above (the one with the variable rewards rates) because that is similar to what the BB&T Spectrum Cash Rewards card had.

Having said that, you can always call Truist to find out more information.  I would guess that during the BB&T to Truist transition period, previous BB&T card holders could switch their benefits option if they chose to do so.

Playing the credit card rewards game since early May 2020.

Current credit cards:
American Express: Hilton Honors
Bank of America: Customized Cash Rewards Visa
Capital One: SavorOne MC
Chase: Amazon Visa, Freedom Unlimited Visa, Freedom Flex MC
Citi: Sears/ThankYou Rewards MC, My Best Buy Visa, Custom Cash MC
Comenity: AAA Travel Advantage Visa
Discover: Cash It
Elan: S&T Bank Max Cash Preferred Visa
FNBO: Amtrak Guest Rewards Platinum MC
PSECU: Founder's Visa
U.S. Bank: Cash+ Visa
Wells Fargo: Autograph Visa
Store cards: Kohl's

Next target credit cards: Wells Fargo Bilt Mastercard (probably), Truist Enjoy Travel Visa (maybe)
Message 27 of 43
UH_HUH
Valued Contributor

BB&T/TRUIST NEW CARDS

Hiya Guys,

So about two weeks ago I got an email

from BB&T saying they would be mailing out new cards,

some time in the near future, for all cards that have been

used in the last year.Well I was issued 13 cards from what is now

Truist and have only paid

on one travel card with an AF. I cancelled 2 other travel cards.

Well Since I have never used the other 10 cards I figured I had better

find a way to get my new Truist Cards somehow.

I decided to call them up and say I wanted all new ones

and said they were damaged.

I was on hold for 15  mins then got this wonderful

rep who actually said "you want to replace how many cards?"

After she put me on hold and had a talk with her supervisor,

she came back and one after one I rattled off the last 4 digits

of the card and the credit limit. We did this 11 times and she could not have been

any nicer. I was kinda wondering what this call would be like but it was easy.

If you want the new spiffy silver Truist cards I can 

honestly sat they were wonderful.

Hope everyone is well :-)

Cheers

20211013_172344.jpg

Message 28 of 43
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: BB&T/TRUIST NEW CARDS

@UH_HUH- please reference the active discussion upthread.

Message 29 of 43
UH_HUH
Valued Contributor

Re: BB&T/TRUIST NEW CARDS

@FinStar wrote:

@UH_HUH- please reference the active discussion upthread.

@FinStar Thank you for putting my post in the proper place. I did not see this thread when I posted 😅

Cheers

Message 30 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.