Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bye Bye BBVA Compass Clear Points

tag
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Bye Bye BBVA Compass Clear Points

So I get a call yesterday, while on the Subway in Shanghai, from Compass Bank asking me about the satisfaction with them.  I simply told them I had much better cards, their interest rate was too high, and the balance transfer amounts were also too high.  They said let me check on some of this.

They checked the balance transfer rate and told me I could do so with a 4% fee at 5.99%.

They checked the APR and told me that for $79 I could get my APR lowered for 6 or 8 cycles.

I replied that I often get offers with 2-3% balance transfers at 0% and that to pay for a APR reduction was certainly something I would never do since I don't carry a balance.

I have way too much credit anyway and simply told them to close the card.  (I know, you should keep the cards open, but I do plan on buying a new car either in November or January and I don't want any issues it might cause.)

They told me I could change my mind in the next 30 days if I wish.

Do you think they might change THEIR minds in the next 30 days and offer me something I could use?

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Saleen099
Senior Contributor

Re: Bye Bye BBVA Compass Clear Points

You want the truth or do you want me to just make up some?  LOL 

BBVA  Will not change their mind and offer you something different  or something you can work with. 

Message 2 of 15
ddemari
Super Contributor

Interesting, i have never heard of a mainstream bank offering to lower apr for a fee.
Message 3 of 15
Saleen099
Senior Contributor

@ddemari wrote:
Interesting, i have never heard of a mainstream bank offering to lower apr for a fee.

Welcome to BBVA. LOL 

Message 4 of 15
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@ddemari wrote:

Maybe they are trying to compete with Credit One now?

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 5 of 15
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

@TiggerDat wrote:

So I get a call yesterday, while on the Subway in Shanghai, from Compass Bank asking me about the satisfaction with them.  I simply told them I had much better cards, their interest rate was too high, and the balance transfer amounts were also too high.  They said let me check on some of this.

They checked the balance transfer rate and told me I could do so with a 4% fee at 5.99%.

They checked the APR and told me that for $79 I could get my APR lowered for 6 or 8 cycles.

I replied that I often get offers with 2-3% balance transfers at 0% and that to pay for a APR reduction was certainly something I would never do since I don't carry a balance.

I have way too much credit anyway and simply told them to close the card.  (I know, you should keep the cards open, but I do plan on buying a new car either in November or January and I don't want any issues it might cause.)

They told me I could change my mind in the next 30 days if I wish.

Do you think they might change THEIR minds in the next 30 days and offer me something I could use?

Keeping an account in good standing open would not have had any negative impact on obtaining a car loan in the future. 

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a BT with them and those are their terms. 4% fee and a small interest rate. 

Message 7 of 15
Existentialist
Frequent Contributor

@Saleen099 wrote:

You want the truth or do you want me to just make up some?  LOL 

BBVA  Will not change their mind and offer you something different  or something you can work with. 

I'm sure that was OPs point. Was merely opining facetiously (otherwise known as sarcasm).

*Nice one btw*

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ddemari wrote:

FNBO has a card tied to prime rate for an AF.

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

As hard as major credit cards are to obtain,  I don't think I would close a card because they want to charge a 5% interest rate if one chooses to do a balance transfer.

I would keep the card to lower utilization and increase the amount of balances I can carry when needed without lowering my scores. I would use the card for other purchases.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.