Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bye Bye Citi price rewind and most of their cards’ travel benefits

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi gone crazy, remove massive number of benefit from almost all cards

Kinda reminds me of what Discover did a few years back. Sadly I think it is a harbinger of things to come.

Message 11 of 98
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

I have detested this bank for a long time. Glad I never bit on any offer they pounded my mailbox with for over a year and half.

Message 12 of 98
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess this lends a bit of extra credibility to the rumor that Mastercard is doing away with extended warranty and price protection benefits on the 1st for all of their cards.

I called it when Disco dropped them last year when I said it would spiral out to the rest. I’m not at all surprised but it sure makes me glad that Citi denied me the DC in February because I would have another card I won’t ever use.
Message 13 of 98
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Holy crap...

Price Rewind was one of my favorite features on my DC card.

I still carry it as a fallback to my Amex cards, but for the most part don't really swipe it all that often anymore anyway.  I guess it'll just stay on as my Amex backup and that's it.

Message 14 of 98
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Bye Bye Citi price rewind

Citi's shareholders have got to be shaking their heads.  I checked the benefits page with my Citi login and just about every benefit is going away....on every card.  From roadside to travel protection, price rewind and everything else in between.  

Amex and Chase have got to be lovin' this.  My question to Citi would be how in the hell do you justify the annual fee on the Prestige ($495) and AAdvantage Exectuive ($450) cards when you've not only taken away the benefits that somewhat justify their annual fee but even eliminated some of the most basic benefits that can be hard with a no annual fee CapOne card?

I also read a tweet this morning that Citi's relationship with their current benefits manager is going away which *may* lend reason to some of these changes.  Even so they sure as heck better have something else lined up or watch as those with the higher end cards go marching away. 

I do have the Prestige card card and will be keeping it as it works out for my specific needs...at least for now.  It pairs well with my Citi Premier, and Rewards+ as I can take all of those points from the Prestige and Rewards and book air travel with the 25% bonus via the Premier card.  HOWEVER should they drop the 25% travel portal bonus on airfare with the Premier then I'm packing up and moving on.  

I hate playing the airline award space game so I decided some time ago that the Citi TY Portal works out better for me since I book like a cash buyer.  

It'll definitely be interesting to see how this all shakes out for them thats for sure...

Message 15 of 98
barthooper
Frequent Contributor

I expected rewind to fall but not extended warranty, at least not at the same time. Too bad. I put a lot of consumer/homeowner items on my DC for the extended warranty. 2% is nice, but with others offering it and Citi offering nothing extra I may move onto greener pastures.

Did a CSR/CSP double dip roughly a year ago. Keeping the CSR and was going to PC the CSP to a CF but I may make it into a CFU and use that as my daily instead of Citi. Need to think on it.

Edit: Chase's 1 year extended warranty makes this feel like the right move.

Quicksilver - 16k | Discover It - 34k | Citi DC - $21k | Chase Amazon - 8k | Chase Reserve - 19.5k | Chase Preferred - 5k | EX FICO (Discover CSC) 788
Message 16 of 98
Penjamin_Fedington
Valued Member

Citi Removing MOST Benefits From All Cards On September 22 [Trip Cancellation & Delay, Ticket & Retu

Message 17 of 98
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Loquat wrote:

Citi's shareholders have got to be shaking their heads.  I checked the benefits page with my Citi login and just about every benefit is going away....on every card.  From roadside to travel protection, price rewind and everything else in between.  

Amex and Chase have got to be lovin' this.  My question to Citi would be how in the hell do you justify the annual fee on the Prestige ($495) and AAdvantage Exectuive ($450) cards when you've not only taken away the benefits that somewhat justify their annual fee but even eliminated some of the most basic benefits that can be hard with a no annual fee CapOne card?

I also read a tweet this morning that Citi's relationship with their current benefits manager is going away which *may* lend reason to some of these changes.  Even so they sure as heck better have something else lined up or watch as those with the higher end cards go marching away. 

I do have the Prestige card card and will be keeping it as it works out for my specific needs...at least for now.  It pairs well with my Citi Premier, and Rewards+ as I can take all of those points from the Prestige and Rewards and book air travel with the 25% bonus via the Premier card.  HOWEVER should they drop the 25% travel portal bonus on airfare with the Premier then I'm packing up and moving on.  

I hate playing the airline award space game so I decided some time ago that the Citi TY Portal works out better for me since I book like a cash buyer.  

It'll definitely be interesting to see how this all shakes out for them thats for sure...

Citi Exec is a great deal w/ 4 AUs on it.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 18 of 98
barthooper
Frequent Contributor

@Loquat wrote:

Interested in your source for this, was it concrete info or speculation? I read that one possible reason (purely speculative tweet) could be they're moving their portfolio over to Visa and thus have to axe all the Mastercard benefits and start anew.

Quicksilver - 16k | Discover It - 34k | Citi DC - $21k | Chase Amazon - 8k | Chase Reserve - 19.5k | Chase Preferred - 5k | EX FICO (Discover CSC) 788
Message 19 of 98
iced
Valued Contributor

Honest question here - was this a feature that people actually used with any regularity at all?

In the 5 or so years I've had a Citi card not once have I ever used this feature. My SO's never used price rewind. None of the friends I've asked about it have used it before. I had just assumed it was one of those things like car rental insurance that does get used every once in a while on the rare chance it was needed but never at a frequency to make it actually add much/any value to a card.

Message 20 of 98
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.