Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bye Bye Citi price rewind and most of their cards’ travel benefits

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bye Bye Citi price rewind

Moving from mc to visa seems like an nonsensical explanation to me, Visa has similar benefits, so what would be the point of axing these then move to visa and add em again?
Message 21 of 98
barthooper
Frequent Contributor

@iced wrote:

Honest question here - was this a feature that people actually used with any regularity at all?

In the 5 or so years I've had a Citi card not once have I ever used this feature. My SO's never used price rewind. None of the friends I've asked about it have used it before. I had just assumed it was one of those things like car rental insurance that does get used every once in a while on the rare chance it was needed but never at a frequency to make it actually add much/any value to a card.

A handful of times. It was used way too much by a small subset and auto price matching services. I'm more upset about the extended warranty going away which is the best in the business.

Quicksilver - 16k | Discover It - 34k | Citi DC - $21k | Chase Amazon - 8k | Chase Reserve - 19.5k | Chase Preferred - 5k | EX FICO (Discover CSC) 788
Message 22 of 98
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@barthooper wrote:

@Loquat wrote:

I also read a tweet this morning that Citi's relationship with their current benefits manager is going away which *may* lend reason to some of these changes.  Even so they sure as heck better have something else lined up or watch as those with the higher end cards go marching away. 

Interested in your source for this, was it concrete info or speculation? I read that one possible reason (purely speculative tweet) could be they're moving their portfolio over to Visa and thus have to axe all the Mastercard benefits and start anew.

@barthooper As I mentioned it was just a tweet that I saw this morning amongst all the other hate citi hashtags there were/are floating in light of this new information.  The reasons I've read thus far are nothing but speculation/opinions at the moment. 

Message 23 of 98
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@iced wrote:

Honest question here - was this a feature that people actually used with any regularity at all?

In the 5 or so years I've had a Citi card not once have I ever used this feature. My SO's never used price rewind. None of the friends I've asked about it have used it before. I had just assumed it was one of those things like car rental insurance that does get used every once in a while on the rare chance it was needed but never at a frequency to make it actually add much/any value to a card.

@iced Travel protection is one that folks may not use, but like car insurance, you want it there in case you do need it.  No one wants to their flight to be delayed or cancelled but it's reassuring to know that if you have to stay the night at the hotel or if your luggage is lost that you won't have to eat the cost of it.

Another useful benefit for me was the Price Rewind...I've used it many times and will certainly miss it.  The others benefits going away are not as important to me but I'm sure others place as much value on them as I do the travel protection benefits.  Now it's back to using the wifes CSR for airfare as I don't particularly want to start paying for 3rd party travel insurance and the Amex Platinum just doesn't hold the same value to me that others place on it and it too doesn't offer travel protection. 

Message 24 of 98
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@barthooper wrote:

@iced wrote:

A handful of times. It was used way too much by a small subset and auto price matching services. I'm more upset about the extended warranty going away which is the best in the business.

Since 2016 I had over 100 successful claims, saving a few thousand dollars total.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 25 of 98
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Am I right in thinking that the Costco card won't be hit as hard as DC?

For instance, the Costco Visa will keep the extended warranty feature while the DC loses it?

Message 26 of 98
iced
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@barthooper wrote:

Since 2016 I had over 100 successful claims, saving a few thousand dollars total.

I guess some people do make use of it!

I'm not confident I've even made 100 retail purchases since 2016, and many of those wouldn't be eligible for a price rewind to begin with.

Message 27 of 98
Jccflat
Established Contributor

Re: Citi Removing MOST Benefits From All Cards On September 22 [Trip Cancellation & Delay, Ticke

Is this something all cc will follow ?
It’s bad
Message 28 of 98
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@iced wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@barthooper wrote:

I guess some people do make use of it!

I'm not confident I've even made 100 retail purchases since 2016, and many of those wouldn't be eligible for a price rewind to begin with.

Part of that is because price rewind didn't always allow batch searches.

For instance, when I bought four tires for my car (tires were once eligible), it required four separate claims.

Message 29 of 98
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

I guess I won’t miss it seeing as I never even used it....or knew it was a feature of my card lol

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 30 of 98
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.