Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bye Bye Citi price rewind and most of their cards’ travel benefits

tag
PDXoriginal
Regular Contributor

Re: Bye Bye Citi price rewind

Just changed my DC to a Rewards+, I've had my citi card for 10 years now and I just don't use it much anymore. Might as well keep the benefits just in case I need to made a like purchase and have that extra coverage. However, if they kill the benefits in the future, I will be done with them.

Besides my DC is the world elite version, I'm not going to earn them higher swipe fees and get less benefits.

Message 31 of 98
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Removing MOST Benefits From All Cards On September 22 [Trip Cancellation & Delay, Ticke

"The shroud of the dark side has fallen. Begun, the rewards war has."

I got the following popup notice after logging into Citi to check my Costco Anywhere Visa card benefits:

Important changes are coming to some of your Card Benefits.

The following is a summary of changes that are being made to your card benefits.

Effective September 22, 2019, Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection and Citi® Price Rewind will be discontinued and will no longer be provided for purchases made on or after that date. Coverage for purchases made before that date will continue to be available, and you may continue to file for benefits in accordance with the current benefit terms.

We are making these changes so that we can continue providing the key benefits that our customers use and value most at no additional cost. This change requires no action on your part. See FAQs under Card Benefits for answers to Frequently Asked Questions regarding these changes.

As a cardmember, you will continue to receive a range of other card benefits including FICO® Credit Score, Citi® Identity Theft Solutions, and Citi Entertainment.

Message 32 of 98
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@PDXoriginal wrote:

Just changed my DC to a Rewards+, I've had my citi card for 10 years now and I just don't use it much anymore. Might as well keep the benefits just in case I need to made a like purchase and have that extra coverage. However, if they kill the benefits in the future, I will be done with them.

Besides my DC is the world elite version, I'm not going to earn them higher swipe fees and get less benefits.

Instinctively I want to switch to a lesser-nerfed card, but I don't know if it would accomplish anything for me.

DC had some small value because it gave 2% instead of 1% outside of Costco when I wanted price protection. 2% in itself was useless next to CFU/BBP. Yet I don't think any of my PC options for DC would give me more than Costco's 1%.

I'm eligible for another Citi AA bonus. Maybe I'll eventually close DC and pick up one of those.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 33 of 98
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've never once used Price Rewind.  I've never made any purchases on the card that to me seemed like it was worth trying to use it.  What types of things have all of you used Price Rewind for?  I guess I just don't buy a lot of "merchandise" or something.

Message 34 of 98
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've never once used Price Rewind.  I've never made any purchases on the card that to me seemed like it was worth trying to use it.  What types of things have all of you used Price Rewind for?  I guess I just don't buy a lot of "merchandise" or something.

Building materials for a renovation, electronics, clothing, a surprising number of shoes, camping supplies, garden tools, appliances, books and DVDs...

Message 35 of 98
Anonymous
Not applicable

@redpat I updated your thread title to include more of the benefits being removed.

Unfortunately, it’s just not price rewind that’s being removed but almost all of the benefits from their cards, including the prestige.  Gone come 9/22 according to the linked article by DoC and showing when you log in to your Citi account;

• Worldwide Car Rental Insurance
  • Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection
  • Worldwide Travel Accident Insurance
  • Trip Delay Protection
  • Baggage Delay Protection
  • Lost Baggage Protection
  • Medical Evacuation
  • Citi® Price Rewind
  • 90 Day Return Protection
  • Missed Event Ticket Protection
  • Roadside Assistance Dispatch Service
  • Travel & Emergency Assistance

Very bad move on Citi’s part.  Going to be hard for them to compete especially in the high end travel card market.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/citi-removing-most-benefits-from-all-cards-on-september-22-trip-cance...

Message 36 of 98
Drwaz99
Established Contributor

Major reduction of Citi AAdvantage Cards Benefits eff 9/22/19

It goes along with the Citi Price Rewind removal. You may see it when you log into your account, but I had to go to card benefits to see the popup. Basically, it's now a travel card...with no travel benefits. 

"Effective September 22, 2019, Worldwide Car Rental Insurance, Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection, Worldwide Travel Accident Insurance, Trip Delay Protection, Baggage Delay Protection, Lost Baggage Protection, Citi
® Price Rewind, and 90 Day Return Protection will be discontinued and will no longer be provided for purchases made on or after that date. Coverage for purchases made before that date will continue to be available, and you may continue to file for benefits in accordance with the current benefit terms. Roadside Assistance Dispatch Service and Travel & Emergency Assistance will be discontinued and will not be available on or after September 22, 2019."

Message 37 of 98
NRB525
Super Contributor

So will they be rebranded as Citi DisAAdvantage cards?

I already downgraded to MileUp, intending to get AA miles to a level I can redeem them for an Alaska flight. Then I’m probably out of Citi completely.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 38 of 98
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Very bad move on Citi’s part.  Going to be hard for them to compete especially in the high end travel card market.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/citi-removing-most-benefits-from-all-cards-on-september-22-trip-cancellation-trip-delay-return-protection-car-rental-ticket-protection-etc/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+DoctorOfCredit+%28Doctor+Of+Credit%29

For all the jabs I've made at Barclays for their Titanium/Black/Gold cards, those cards may end up being comparative bargains.

Two years ago, Prestige was arguably the best $450 card. About one year ago, it still had the 3-hour delay coverage. It's hard to make sense of where they're going with this.

I expect Costco required them to keep the extended warranty on that card. It's often used as a selling point on in-store advertising.

Message 39 of 98
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've never used Prive Rewind, heck by the time the price loweres I'll have forgotten that I even bought it. I'm too busy to actively watch if the price lowers on the items I've bought. However, that in itself isn't an issue. It's the overall loss of all the other benefits reported.

Some of us like knowing your trip is coverd when traveling, hence trip delay/cancellation/interuption. Baggage protection, raodside assistance etc. Instead of having to buy all that seperately.

TBH, I'll bet most of the masess will be totally cluless to what all this means, and likley won't miss it. Only the select people in the know, and those who actively use these services will understand the loss.

At least they're keeping the Extended Warranty, that can come in handy for large purchases like appliances that don't last very long anymore. 

Price Protection also remains, that can come in useful as well. 

Personally this has no affect on me as I only use my Citi DP as a BT card. However, if those travel benefits are removed from AAdvantage, then it essentially becomes a ueless travel card for me. And effectively makes the $95 AF too expensive for what it offers.

I'd better served in using the CSP instead. 

Message 40 of 98
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.