cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bye Bye Citi price rewind and most of their cards’ travel benefits

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Double Cash - Cell phone insurance?

I logged in tonight and got the pop up on both my Citi cards, DP and AAdvantage. So it appears that I will have to decide whetehr to keep the AA card open, I cannot justify $95 AF with all those lost benefits. Do they even have a plan to make it appealing to stay? Discover is one thing, because there's no AF. But the AA card with one is very different issue. Gutting the AA card this badly should warrant lowering the AF if not dropping it altogether. Guess I'll be getting rid of my travel cards if this continues across other Financial Institutions.

Message 71 of 98
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

I'm surprised it's even legal for a credit card with an AF to reduce benfits for cardmembers who paid the AF, without compensation. People only pay the annual fee (upfront) because of the expectation that they'll be receiving those benefits for that whole year. To strip any of the benefits, they should really offer a refund of the AF (even if it's only a pro-rated refund) to everyone who asks for it.

No doubt, the cardmember agreement surely says something about the benefits being subject to change without notice, but I'm surprised nobody has really complained about this practice. On a no-AF card, it's no big deal. But when you're paying anywhere from $95 to $550 or more for the card's benefits, there should really be some reassurance that you'll actually be getting all of those benefits for that whole year.

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 72 of 98
Anonymous
Not applicable

My AF just hit in April, so I technically get more than 6 months coverage. unfortunately, I wasn't planning to put travel spend on it until October. lol

So I am deciding whether to charge this expense much earlier, like in August just to get the coverage. Problem is that I haven't fully decide on the destinations yet. gee, is it sneaking up on me... 

I have thought about calling them up in Sept. and request to close the account due to this. As kind of a feeler to find out their stance, and what they might be willing to do retention wise. If Citi even does that. I might just downgrade to the no AF Mileup card for now, until the dust settles.

If things get better, i can just app for the AAdvantage again at later date.

Message 73 of 98
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@coreysw12 wrote:

I'm surprised it's even legal for a credit card with an AF to reduce benfits for cardmembers who paid the AF, without compensation. People only pay the annual fee (upfront) because of the expectation that they'll be receiving those benefits for that whole year. To strip any of the benefits, they should really offer a refund of the AF (even if it's only a pro-rated refund) to everyone who asks for it.

No doubt, the cardmember agreement surely says something about the benefits being subject to change without notice, but I'm surprised nobody has really complained about this practice. On a no-AF card, it's no big deal. But when you're paying anywhere from $95 to $550 or more for the card's benefits, there should really be some reassurance that you'll actually be getting all of those benefits for that whole year.

To me, since many of the Citi benefits were available across all their cards, it's not really fair to equate it to having paid the AF.  The benefits that are being lost are not specific to their AF cards.

I think it's fine to be upset about things like the Prestige's various nerfs over the years for the benefits that were tied directly to that card, although I think it's an exercise in futility to be upset over it because as you said the agreement spells all this out. Benefits can and do change with products, regardless of fee or no AF. With people constantly signing up 365 days a year and benefits ending on pre-determined dates, obviously some people get shortchanged, but it's the nature of the beast. There is only so much reassurance in the credit world with benefits and perks; they come and go, it's just how it is.

Since you aren't really losing any benefit that was tied directly to one of their AF cards, I doubt a refund would happen.

Message 74 of 98
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

How does the insurance stopping on Sept 22nd work ?

Will trips paid for before Sept 22nd but for travel after that date still covered ?

I have an award booking I paid the taxes for with my Citi prestige. Already paid but travel is after Sept.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 75 of 98
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can still travel after that September date, but the charges have to post to the account prior to it to be covered. So you should be fine.

Message 76 of 98
PDXoriginal
Regular Contributor

Will somebody with a double cash card try it with Mastercard's cell phone protection site and see if MC recognizes it?

https://us.mycardbenefits.com/FileAClaim/FileAClaim?cd=en&prog=cel

I converted my DC to a Rewards+ and when I tried the +, it allowed me to file a claim. However, it never recognized the DC. Maybe Citi is offering Mastercard benefits on the Rewards+, maybe the DC now.

Message 77 of 98
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@PDXoriginal wrote:

Will somebody with a double cash card try it with Mastercard's cell phone protection site and see if MC recognizes it?

https://us.mycardbenefits.com/FileAClaim/FileAClaim?cd=en&prog=cel

I converted my DC to a Rewards+ and when I tried the +, it allowed me to file a claim. However, it never recognized the DC. Maybe Citi is offering Mastercard benefits on the Rewards+, maybe the DC now.

As I said now 8 posts ago, DC is not eligible.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 78 of 98
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

Now there is mentioned on DOC that rewards will be TY Points instead of cash. Not sure how much. This card cant get worse right?
Message 79 of 98
Anonymous
Not applicable

All you have to do is take 2 flights and you’ve more than recouped the $95 AF.

Message 80 of 98
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.