cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bye Bye Citi price rewind and most of their cards’ travel benefits

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Citi Double Cash - Cell phone insurance?

@kdm31091 wrote:

@coreysw12 wrote:

I'm surprised it's even legal for a credit card with an AF to reduce benfits for cardmembers who paid the AF, without compensation. People only pay the annual fee (upfront) because of the expectation that they'll be receiving those benefits for that whole year. To strip any of the benefits, they should really offer a refund of the AF (even if it's only a pro-rated refund) to everyone who asks for it.

No doubt, the cardmember agreement surely says something about the benefits being subject to change without notice, but I'm surprised nobody has really complained about this practice. On a no-AF card, it's no big deal. But when you're paying anywhere from $95 to $550 or more for the card's benefits, there should really be some reassurance that you'll actually be getting all of those benefits for that whole year.

To me, since many of the Citi benefits were available across all their cards, it's not really fair to equate it to having paid the AF.  The benefits that are being lost are not specific to their AF cards.

I think it's fine to be upset about things like the Prestige's various nerfs over the years for the benefits that were tied directly to that card, although I think it's an exercise in futility to be upset over it because as you said the agreement spells all this out. Benefits can and do change with products, regardless of fee or no AF. With people constantly signing up 365 days a year and benefits ending on pre-determined dates, obviously some people get shortchanged, but it's the nature of the beast. There is only so much reassurance in the credit world with benefits and perks; they come and go, it's just how it is.

Since you aren't really losing any benefit that was tied directly to one of their AF cards, I doubt a refund would happen.

Well, it is possible for them to do the "right" thing!   Amex did it two times that impacted me.   First, when the changed the BCP from uncapped to capped at $6K spend (which for "enthusiasts" would be a loss of tens of thousands a year!) they made the change effective on the anniversary date of the card, so a different time for everyone.   Sure, this made a number of people much more enthuastic for a few months but Amex knew that it would end soon enough.   And then they did the same for the capping of the OBC, even though that had no AF.

Message 81 of 98
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Citi Double Cash - Cell phone insurance?

@longtimelurker wrote:

Well, it is possible for them to do the "right" thing!   Amex did it two times that impacted me.   First, when the changed the BCP from uncapped to capped at $6K spend (which for "enthusiasts" would be a loss of tens of thousands a year!) they made the change effective on the anniversary date of the card, so a different time for everyone.   Sure, this made a number of people much more enthuastic for a few months but Amex knew that it would end soon enough.   And then they did the same for the capping of the OBC, even though that had no AF.

Citi gave notice in June 2016 about the July 2017 Prestige mega-nerf. 13 months was a lot better than the 2-3 months they gave about this round of nerfs and the one from last summer.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 82 of 98
Peter1142
Established Contributor

Citi Double Cash ending virtually all benefits?

From the website -

"Effective September 22, 2019, Worldwide Car Rental Insurance, Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection, Worldwide Travel Accident Insurance, Citi® Price Rewind, 90 Day Return Protection, Damage & Theft Purchase Protection, and Extended Warranty will be discontinued and will no longer be provided for purchases made on or after that date."

This seems kind of extreme... am I missing something? I was specifically looking at the car rental insurance. Without it, I'm not booking on this card.

Message 83 of 98
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Citi Double Cash ending virtually all benefits?

It is very extreme. Note the rental coverage was already secondary within the US.

I will notify a moderator to merge this with a larger thead on the topic.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 84 of 98
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Citi Double Cash ending virtually all benefits?

For those with Citi AF cards...you can call and request a prorated refund.  I was offered one and I didn't even ask about closing the card...just about the details of the upcoming change.  So if you're wanting a refund just call up and ask and see what you can get. 

Message 85 of 98
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Mastercards are not eligible for the new Mastercard benefits

I don't remember if this was the ultimate thread where discussions were pushed to.

But today I finally got some info on the Mastercard benefits being dropped. While I'm sure most of you already know the extent, i was a bit shocked at the list versus what replaces tehm. lol

This was for my Fred Meyer Rewards MC issued by USB. Effective October 1, 2019, this Credit Card  will no longer include the following benefits.

Concierge Services - no biggie as i never use it, but have heard good this it can be useful for

Extended Waranty - I really liked this for expensive items like appliance, because the stores are never any help nor are the  manufacturers.

Hotel/Motel Burglary - another non used item

Lost/Damaged Luggage - while i never needed it, it was nice to know it was there.

Master Assist Travel Assistant Services - again never used it, yet nice coverage if needed. Specifically Medical*

Rental Coverage 

Price Protection - never used it.

Purchase Insurance.

Worldwide Travel Accident & Baggage Delay 

^What all this is replaced by^

Cellular Wireless Phone Protection - The only hitch with this, is what is covered? My Phone was paid off with another CC, so my monthly phone bill is only for the service. Thus technically the "Phone" would be coverd by that card's coverage. Right? 

Just because you have this or any other card with Cellphone Protection set up to autopay, doesn't mean they'll pay for a new phone if it's damaged/stolen. Unless the Phone was charged to your plan and are making those monthly payemts. That's how it sounds to me.

Message 86 of 98
SFLSpotter9210
Valued Contributor

Citi Rewards+ Discontinued Benefits

Good day MyFico partners,

Just some bad news not sure if anyone has seen this yet or not. But upon signing into my account from my laptop I noticed a message that popped up when I was reviewing my benefits. And I will quote this per the message "Effective September 19,2019, Worldwide Car Rental Insurance, Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection, Worldwide Travel Accident Insurance, Citi Price Rewind, and 90 Day Return Protection will be discontinued and will no longer be provided for purchases made on or after that date. Coverage for purchases made before that date will continue to be available and you may continue to file for benefits in accordance with the current benefit terms.

We are making these changes so that we can continue providing the key benefits that our customers use and value most at no additonal cost. this change requires no action on y our part". Any thoughts by anyone carrying this particular card?

NFCU Flagship 32,500 | Penfed PowerCash 8,750 | PENFED GOLD 12,500 | PenFed PL 20,000 | NFCU AMEX Rewards 37,500 | NFCU GoRewards 7,000 | FNBO VISA SIGNATURE 9,400 | Capital One Quicksilver 6,300 | Lowe’s 34,500 | Wells Fargo Propel 19,700 | Barclay Apple1k | Citi Rewards+ 12,100 | Citi Double Cash 14,800 | Citi Simplicity 7,000 | PNC Core VISA 22,500 | USAA AMEX 10,000 | Discover 17,000 | BB&T Rewards 4,500 | BB&T Bright Card 4,500 | GS Apple 6,000 | Chevron 2,500 | Fico 8 Scores EQ=757 | EX=760 | TU=771scores and CL current as of 08/22/22 AAoA years 6 months | AoOA=18yrs
Message 87 of 98
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Citi Rewards+ Discontinued Benefits

Message 88 of 98
SFLSpotter9210
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the link. Sorry to repost something that's already been mentioned. I'm horrible at not searching the topics. I'm mostly on my phone anyhow. Have a great day.

NFCU Flagship 32,500 | Penfed PowerCash 8,750 | PENFED GOLD 12,500 | PenFed PL 20,000 | NFCU AMEX Rewards 37,500 | NFCU GoRewards 7,000 | FNBO VISA SIGNATURE 9,400 | Capital One Quicksilver 6,300 | Lowe’s 34,500 | Wells Fargo Propel 19,700 | Barclay Apple1k | Citi Rewards+ 12,100 | Citi Double Cash 14,800 | Citi Simplicity 7,000 | PNC Core VISA 22,500 | USAA AMEX 10,000 | Discover 17,000 | BB&T Rewards 4,500 | BB&T Bright Card 4,500 | GS Apple 6,000 | Chevron 2,500 | Fico 8 Scores EQ=757 | EX=760 | TU=771scores and CL current as of 08/22/22 AAoA years 6 months | AoOA=18yrs
Message 89 of 98
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Citibank simplicity will retain extended warranty and damage and theft purchase protection. It will also retain citi easy deals. Looks like most of the other cards are getting gutted.

Some of the premium cards are keeping certain protections. You have to login go to benefits and frequently asked questions and it will give you information specific to your card and what benefits it’s losing and keeping.
Message 90 of 98
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.