Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bye Bye Comenity

tag
EmmaGolden
Frequent Contributor

Bye Bye Comenity

After reading a thread here last night, about a card being closed for no obvious reason, I checked my own. Orbitz showed credit line but nothing available. I called & was told it was under review, so today I decided to do some research, The BBB sites are loaded with complaints, numerous consumer sites also. So, many complaints about account being closed & the card holder finding out by trying to make a purchase.

Made my decision, called Comenity to close both accounts, spoke with a very nice lady. Who informed me that my Orbitz had been closed & the reason being they reviewed my CR & found items that do not meet their standards. I wasn’t surprised or upset & asked her to close my Redicard. She came back to say it was still open & was I aware of the benefits of the card. I told her yes I still wanted to close it. She asked if she could note a reason, my response was yes. I am closing it because the lender does not meet my standard of quality, I do not want to be one of the many that go to make a purchase & find out the card has been closed. I understand fully that if you the lender decides to close my account it is within your rights, But to do so without any notification or being given the opportunity to explain something as minor as excess inquires per your standards is just wrong. The card is about 6 weeks old & I have 3 additional inquires since your approving the card. My utility is 1%, FICO is 730, and I am not racking up debt in a careless manner. So, I would rather not have to worry if I go to use my card it gets denied. Please close the Redicard also, which was done & she assured me I would receive written notification.

Not sure if I did right, but I don’t need the headache of worrying if a card is going to be denied. I know I am new to credit but the abundance of complaints in reference to cards being closed was from people that had established history.

My ultimate plan was & still is to build history & keep 3 or 4 cards. So, I will continue to use my Cap1 cards; grow them. Not sure about Synchrony but so far they have treated me well & will decide when the time comes. I had planned to close my Walmart store card as soon as I got the new MC in the mail but may keep it open just in case. The only store cards I have are Walmart & Amazon. I will plan to keep the Amazon store card because the rewards are better than the Chase card.

So off the garden I go for real this time, another lesson learned. Thank you Fico family, you all rock!!!

Dang this felt good but going to miss the pretty purple card. LOL just for the color in my wallet

Message 1 of 46
45 REPLIES 45
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: Bye Bye Comenity

Smiley LOLSmiley LOL Bravo!!!! Comenity is out of control! I would have done the exact same thing! C ya!!!
Message 2 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well done. It is better to close the accts on your own (customer requested closure) then having them do it for you. Something is definitely up with Comenity. I have been scanning the news for any indication but something tells me it "ain't good."

Message 3 of 46
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

Comenity is not making very many friends recently, but good job!! Cutting all ties before they did!
Message 4 of 46
ddemari
Super Contributor

Congrats on your decesion! That orbitz visa is hard to get though haha.
Message 5 of 46
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Good for you being proactive; however, as I keep trying to remind people, closures aren't unique to comenity. They are tightening up at the moment, but do a search and you'll find stories about Amex, chase, citi, Barclay's, etc shutting down accounts. It seems comenity is changing their standards. Not saying I agree with how they went about it, but don't fool yourself into thinking this couldn't happen with other lenders. Credit cards are unsecured debt so lenders tend to take it away more quickly when they see inquiries, escalating debt, etc. OP, you had 3 additional inquiries within 6 weeks, that could be seen as "too many" per the new standard and there's no need to tell comenity "they don't meet your standard now" - they were just managing their risk how they apparently see fit. Most people have a couple inquiries a year if that for credit cards.

My point is everyone should only rely on credit to a point because ultimately, it's not ones own money and these things happen. Plenty of similar complaints with other issuers.
Message 6 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@EmmaGolden wrote:

After reading a thread here last night, about a card being closed for no obvious reason, I checked my own. Orbitz showed credit line but nothing available. I called & was told it was under review, so today I decided to do some research, The BBB sites are loaded with complaints, numerous consumer sites also. So, many complaints about account being closed & the card holder finding out by trying to make a purchase.

Made my decision, called Comenity to close both accounts, spoke with a very nice lady named Lenora. Who informed me that my Orbitz had been closed & the reason being they reviewed my CR & found items that do not meet their standards. I wasn’t surprised or upset & asked her to close my Redicard. She came back to say it was still open & was I aware of the benefits of the card. I told her yes I still wanted to close it. She asked if she could note a reason, my response was yes. I am closing it because the lender does not meet my standard of quality, I do not want to be one of the many that go to make a purchase & find out the card has been closed. I understand fully that if you the lender decides to close my account it is within your rights, But to do so without any notification or being given the opportunity to explain something as minor as excess inquires per your standards is just wrong. The card is about 6 weeks old & I have 3 additional inquires since your approving the card. My utility is 1%, FICO is 730, and I am not racking up debt in a careless manner. So, I would rather not have to worry if I go to use my card it gets denied. Please close the Redicard also, which was done & she assured me I would receive written notification.

Not sure if I did right, but I don’t need the headache of worrying if a card is going to be denied. I know I am new to credit but the abundance of complaints in reference to cards being closed was from people that had established history.

My ultimate plan was & still is to build history & keep 3 or 4 cards. So, I will continue to use my Cap1 cards; grow them. Not sure about Synchrony but so far they have treated me well & will decide when the time comes. I had planned to close my Walmart store card as soon as I got the new MC in the mail but may keep it open just in case. The only store cards I have are Walmart & Amazon. I will plan to keep the Amazon store card because the rewards are better than the Chase card.

So off the garden I go for real this time, another lesson learned. Thank you Fico family, you all rock!!!

Dang this felt good but going to miss the pretty purple card. LOL just for the color in my wallet

LOVE IT!!! WELL SAID!!!!!

Message 7 of 46
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

Good for you dropping them!

NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 8 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

You talked to a human? I just used the robot lady when I dumped mine.

Message 9 of 46
UncleB
Credit Mentor

EmmaGolden, I would have done the exact same thing in your situation.  With them closing one card, I would have been nervous every time I went to use the remaining card - and I don't put up with cards that make me nervous!

I'm so glad I don't have any cards with Comenity!

Just Say No to Comenity!

ezgif.com-resize.gif

Message 10 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.