Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bye-bye, First Premier

tag
bobebob
Frequent Contributor

Re: Bye-bye, First Premier

It's too bad that they won't let you convert the account to one with no AF so you could keep the account for AAoA purposes.  But I agree that there's no way I'd pay an AF just to keep a card in my safe.

bobebob || Nov: My FICO SW EQ(Upgraded Version) = 822 ||Sept: Walmart TU Fico=838Goal = FICO's>800 || In my wallet: CostcoAmEx(20k), DCU Visa Platinum (10k), BoA Visa Signature (17.1k), Walmart Discover (7.5k), AmEx Corporate (5k). All PIF every month.
Message 11 of 20
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

These cards have their purposes. They're like crutches when you've banged up your leg.

When you need crutches, they're there. Once you no longer need the crutches, pass 'em on to someone else.

Congrats on moving along!

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 12 of 20
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

These cards have their purposes. They're like crutches when you've banged up your leg.

When you need crutches, they're there. Once you no longer need the crutches, pass 'em on to someone else.

I agree with this comparison. The card served its purpose. But it feels sooooo good to be out of the "intensive care" phase of credit recovery. As witnessed by my scores, I still have a way to go (old baddies need to finish dropping off), but the improvement is palpable nontheless.

I think that it may be difficult for those who have not crashed and burned with their credit to realize how much of an emotional component there can be to a rebuild. Getting rid of FP was a huge emotional milestone for me. When I first got the card, my credit was in such bad shape that I was willing to take anything that was offered. Now, I'm moving towards the point where I'm deciding what cards I want to add to my portfolio and basing my credit plans on what it will take to make that happen. Indeed, this year I've been able to add a couple of cards that I really wanted and intend to keep long term, and it felt wonderful. It really is a very different mindset; I'm feeling upbeat and optimistic rather than simply resigned.

Getting rid of FP marked the end of a difficult chapter and I think that's why I got so heated when the CSR kept trying to talk me out of closing it. I still wish that I had done a better job of keeping my composure, but what can I say -- I'm human.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 13 of 20
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

@tinuviel wrote:

I agree with this comparison. The card served its purpose. But it feels sooooo good to be out of the "intensive care" phase of credit recovery. As witnessed by my scores, I still have a way to go (old baddies need to finish dropping off), but the improvement is palpable nontheless.

I think that it may be difficult for those who have not crashed and burned with their credit to realize how much of an emotional component there can be to a rebuild. Getting rid of FP was a huge emotional milestone for me. When I first got the card, my credit was in such bad shape that I was willing to take anything that was offered. Now, I'm moving towards the point where I'm deciding what cards I want to add to my portfolio and basing my credit plans on what it will take to make that happen. Indeed, this year I've been able to add a couple of cards that I really wanted and intend to keep long term, and it felt wonderful. It really is a very different mindset; I'm feeling upbeat and optimistic rather than simply resigned.

Getting rid of FP marked the end of a difficult chapter and I think that's why I got so heated when the CSR kept trying to talk me out of closing it. I still wish that I had done a better job of keeping my composure, but what can I say -- I'm human.

Congratulations, Tinuvel on closing the FP account. Im sorry that you had to go through that god awful CSR retention upheaval mumbo jumbo. I must disagree with hauling about FP cards.

while i am glad they helped you raise your score, which is great, i think the best tools (crutches) for improving are secured cards, that offer the best fees and rates. Personally, i don't think i would care to retain my composure with FP. i have a very negative opinion of them and credit one. i might be polite, but i would be really close to not being polite. because NO ONE, regardless of credit history, should ever feel they have to deal with FP or Credit One. Secured Cards are a kind, polite, respectful way to pull yourself out of the hole.

but if one is convinced that FP and Credit One is the way to go, well, I wish them well. its what they want to do and it is their choice. i believe in free will, and i hope the best for all that decide that this is the right decision for them.

Tinuvel, perhaps in a couple of years from now, you will be among the forum gods, with 800 ficos accross the board. perhaps then your credit profile will be so stellar, you will laugh at the idea of having a card that isn't elite purchase apr, and a CL less than 10k. Smiley Happy

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 14 of 20
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@scottwagnon wrote:

@tinuviel wrote:

Congratulations, Tinuvel on closing the FP account. Im sorry that you had to go through that god awful CSR retention upheaval mumbo jumbo. I must disagree with hauling about FP cards.

while i am glad they helped you raise your score, which is great, i think the best tools (crutches) for improving are secured cards, that offer the best fees and rates. Personally, i don't think i would care to retain my composure with FP. i have a very negative opinion of them and credit one. i might be polite, but i would be really close to not being polite. because NO ONE, regardless of credit history, should ever feel they have to deal with FP or Credit One. Secured Cards are a kind, polite, respectful way to pull yourself out of the hole.

but if one is convinced that FP and Credit One is the way to go, well, I wish them well. its what they want to do and it is their choice. i believe in free will, and i hope the best for all that decide that this is the right decision for them.

Tinuvel, perhaps in a couple of years from now, you will be among the forum gods, with 800 ficos accross the board. perhaps then your credit profile will be so stellar, you will laugh at the idea of having a card that isn't elite purchase apr, and a CL less than 10k. Smiley Happy

Maybe so. After all, if you're going to aim, you might as well aim high, right? Smiley Wink

Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 15 of 20
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Well my date to give FP the boot is February 2012. I'm not paying a monthly fee to carry a $300 credit card. The AF doesn't bother me as my other cards have AF's, but I already know it's going to get heated when I talk to them. And I can care less about the CSR's feelings either. They want to push an inferior product on me that THEY THEMSELVES wouldn't keep, they deserve an earful.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 16 of 20
missji
Regular Contributor

Hmmm, these posts are inspiring me to close my FP. It lives in a cave anyway and is never used. I got it last year in August but since have moved up to a Discover More card and Barclay Visa. Also got a BofA secured card. Bye-bye FP!
Gardening as of June 2020. No activity until January 2023 unless it's an auto CLI.
Starting Scores (6/30/2020): EQ 640 | EX 660 | TU 658
Current Scores (05/22/2021): EQ 678 | EX 714 | TU 689
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 17 of 20
Booner72
Senior Contributor

@missji wrote:
Hmmm, these posts are inspiring me to close my FP. It lives in a cave anyway and is never used. I got it last year in August but since have moved up to a Discover More card and Barclay Visa. Also got a BofA secured card. Bye-bye FP!

YAY!  Good. Get rid of it.  Hopefully FP gets wind that people are banding together to get rid of their crap card and maybe they will stop charging MONTHLY FEES, PAY ONLINE FEES, PAY BY PHONE FEES, and YEARLY FEE.  They might also stop adding the monthly fee the day the statement cuts so people can actually report a zero balance w/o having to mail in a check in advance.

I know that FP knows about this web forum - at least the "manager" i talked to when I called to close.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 18 of 20
missji
Regular Contributor

Cancelled the card today.  They tried to pull their little retention tricks out of the bag but to no avail.  I'm no longer an FP cardholder!

Gardening as of June 2020. No activity until January 2023 unless it's an auto CLI.
Starting Scores (6/30/2020): EQ 640 | EX 660 | TU 658
Current Scores (05/22/2021): EQ 678 | EX 714 | TU 689
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 19 of 20
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@missji wrote:

Cancelled the card today.  They tried to pull their little retention tricks out of the bag but to no avail.  I'm no longer an FP cardholder!

Huzzah!!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.