Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bye bye PRG

tag
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Re: Bye bye PRG

@longtimelurker wrote:

I've closed Chase, Barclays and Citi cards by email, with no hassle.  In the Citi case, I had actually wanted a negotiation, so I learned that email wasn't the way!

I'm always told it has to be by telephone. Interesting to know this isn't always the case.

@CS800 wrote:

@navigatethis12 wrote:

I have to say, American Express makes it very easy to close accounts. Other issuers will try to keep you by offering something or telling you about special offers that may be coming, but they just cancel it right away as you requested. The telephone call lasted less than one minute.

I was about 2 minutes total time to closure, no hassle, no question asked

Quick and efficient is the way to be.

Message 11 of 16
navyox
Regular Contributor

I like my PRG a lot, but I don't value MR highly enough to justify the fee.   Nor do I spent $30,000 a year on my cards, let alone just one.   I will most likely downgrade to Green or cancel altogether when the time comes.

Starting Score: 676 CK 5/13. Current: 717 EX 6/15 -- Last App: 6/2014
Message 12 of 16
leoment
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

What is the attraction of this card?  The 50% bonus vs 10% for normal?   Doesn't seem to make sense unless you get the fee waived?

So, maxing out the 3% category, $6K spend a year so $180 in rewards.   You get 40% extra of that, =  $72, and the AF is $75  ANd that is best case since they have this combined $1,500 calculation.

(And yes, you get more on the 1% spend, but you can get 1.5% or 2% on all spend with Cap One/Fidelity, so I don't count that!)

What am I missing?  Or is this a different card?

As a Bank of America customer, these cards (the Cash & Travel Rewards) cards are nice, especially if you meet the minimum deposit requirements and don't have to pay an AF for them.

Speaking only about the Travel card, having a 2.2% cashback card on EVERYTHING with no Forex + EMV is pretty nice in my book.  I probably wouldn't feel the same way if I did actually have to pay the $75 though.

800+ across all three (via FAKOs) has been achieved! Current goal - Get down to 6 cards in total - sitting with 8 currently.
Message 13 of 16
leoment
Frequent Contributor

Congrats!  It's a beautiful card (I still have mine stashed away in an old wallet), but ultimately if you aren't putting major spend in the bonus categories it's not worth the $175.

Enjoy the Privileges card - I know BOA tends to have spotty reviews, but I've found every phone call for questions about my account to be pleasant (probably b/c of the dedicated # for these products)

800+ across all three (via FAKOs) has been achieved! Current goal - Get down to 6 cards in total - sitting with 8 currently.
Message 14 of 16
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

I'm closing my PRG in January.

Hoping for the 100K MR Plat. deal shortly there after.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 15 of 16
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

They wouldn't give me the card without an annual fee. (BofA privileges.) I changed my travel rewards back to the cash rewards so I can use it at Target.  I'm not

I need an Amex revolver to get in January to replace my PRG.  I've not yet decided what I will get.  I like the backdating feature and want to take advantage of it.

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.