Did you mean: 

CAP ONE raised the AF on the Venture Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CAP ONE raised the AF on the Venture Card

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

To summarize, Capital One's rewards cards are garbage. 

A 1.5% cash back card is outdated when 2% should be the minimum value. 

They don't have any transfer partners (and no points cards). 

The Venture One earns 1.25% back 

The Venture has a $95 annual fee for limited 2% back. 

Their best card is probably the Savor, which isn't saying  much. 

More or less agree, although I would give QS some credit for 1.5% on transactions avoiding a FTF.   But there are other cards that do that and better now.

I only give Capital One credit for having a rewards program that posts the rewards as soon as the transaction posts. 

Message 61 of 115
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

That's the thing that makes all this so frustrating.  They really do have the best rewards management program on the market.  Rewards post as soon as purchases and can be redeemed anytime in any amount.  I wish everyone did that.

Message 62 of 115
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@MrDisco99 wrote:

That's the thing that makes all this so frustrating.  They really do have the best rewards management program on the market.  Rewards post as soon as purchases and can be redeemed anytime in any amount.  I wish everyone did that.

+1 so much

Message 63 of 115
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrDisco99 wrote:

I wouldn't go as far as saying the best, but their management is very good. 

USAA, NavyFed, and my local credit union also post rewards as soon as the transactions posts... But Capital One is the most accessible to join of the four for the general public. On the other hand, each transaction posts such little rewards (usually less than $5, at least for me anyways) that waiting a month and watching them to build up isn't a big deal.  

Message 64 of 115
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I'm happy to wait to redeem my rewards, if I'm getting a good effective interest rate (in the form of more cash back from a slower-to-redeem cash back card, or a great travel redemption).

If it takes ages to reach $25 on a card (and someone has the card for rewards, and not some other reason) is it really worth it? If someone is unhappy about having to wait 30 days to redeem, how much is he or she really likely to earn/save with the cash over that period?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 65 of 115
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@wasCB14 wrote:

I'm happy to wait to redeem my rewards, if I'm getting a good effective interest rate (in the form of more cash back from a slower-to-redeem cash back card, or a great travel redemption).

If it takes ages to reach $25 on a card (and someone has the card for rewards, and not some other reason) is it really worth it? If someone is unhappy about having to wait 30 days to redeem, how much is he or she really likely to earn/save with the cash over that period?

If someone is worried about the fractional interest rate on $25 of rewards, they'd be better off just cutting out a single Starbucks purchase in a year.

        
Message 66 of 115
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I'm pretty much flipping a coin trying to decide what I'll do with my Venture card. That and one of my Quicksilver cards are almost two years old.  The APR for both of them is 13.99%. My other QS is 6 years old. That's a 20.99% card. Credit lines for the cards are -

Venture - $15K

QS (13.99%) - $23K

QS (20.99%) - $12K

My first thought is to move the Venture's CL into the 13.99% QS. That will give me $38K. But... some people here have experienced CLDs on their high limit cards. I believe those are more likely for CLs over $25K. I generally don't carry balances but there are times when I take advantage of one of Cap 1's 0% BT offers for 12 or 18 months. I found that I'm more likely to see those on the 13.99% cards over the 20.99% QS. I don't use the Venture enough and don't think the rewards are good enough to pay $95 per year. I was approved for the card at the end of January so I should decide soon or I'll end up paying that fee for another year. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 67 of 115
Anonymous
Not applicable

"The $95 year Everyday Preferred gives you 4.5x on groceries (up to $6,000 per year, then 1.5x), 3x on gas, and 1.5x on everything else. If you're redeeming a Delta ticket for 1.5 cents each, you're beating the Venture. 

In this case you're getting the equivlent of 6.75%, 4.5%, and 2.25%, which all beat the Venture. Although I will add that there are times when Delta points are only worth 1 cent per point."

So are these % only if you redeem your points through a Delta Ticket?  

On Amex's site it's showing 3x, 2x, 1x points..

I'm prequallified, and i'm trying to understand this better.

Message 68 of 115
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So are these % only if you redeem your points through a Delta Ticket?  

On Amex's site it's showing 3x, 2x, 1x points..

I'm prequallified, and i'm trying to understand this better.

They're points if you reach the 30 uses a month. All of those point values are multiplied by 50% at that point. 

Message 69 of 115
Anonymous
Not applicable

Isn't this now a metal card?

Metal cards cost more to make, generally 30 to 50 dollars more. Given identity theft is perpetually on the rise they probably figure they'll have to reissue a new card every year. Better to just build it into the AF and pocket the difference for those that don't get hacked often.
Message 70 of 115
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.