Did you mean: 

CAP ONE raised the AF on the Venture Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CAP ONE raised the AF on the Venture Card

@Anonymous wrote:
Isn't this now a metal card?

Metal cards cost more to make, generally 30 to 50 dollars more. Given identity theft is perpetually on the rise they probably figure they'll have to reissue a new card every year. Better to just build it into the AF and pocket the difference for those that don't get hacked often.

Unless you're getting the JP Morgan Reserve, that figure isn't even close.

Message 71 of 115
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

I work for a company that prints credit cards. I can say pretty certainly that nobody would make metal cards if they cost $30 each. More like 30 cents maybe.
Message 72 of 115
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@MrDisco99 wrote:
I work for a company that prints credit cards. I can say pretty certainly that nobody would make metal cards if they cost $30 each. More like 30 cents maybe.

MrDisco99, I've always been a great admirer of yours.  Is it possible to send me some "samples" of your company's product....

Message 73 of 115
joltdude
Senior Contributor

The prototype MyFico Card.. Dont leave home without it =)

Message 74 of 115
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sweet! Thanks for explaining that. 

Message 75 of 115
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

I like Venture and QuickSilver and Capital One.

I have no problem with the AF.  I have made a thousands using my cards.

There is more to a good card than cash back percentage and annual fees.

Credit limits, 0% offers, customer service, foreign transaction fees, and more all matter to me.

Cap One treats me extremely well and has since the day I started rebuilding.

Is it the best card for everyone?  No. 

But for a lot of us it is the best card for our current profile.

For many a card like a no AF QuickSilver 1.5% cash back card might be a better option.

But for some, like me, that .5% difference is much more than the AF.

I make more than $100 each month in rewards.

Of course, none of this matters if you are paying interest.  I am not.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 76 of 115
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

Credit limits, 0% offers, customer service, foreign transaction fees, and more all matter to me.

For many a card like a no AF QuickSilver 1.5% cash back card might be a better option.

I'm not sure where you're going with this. If a no AF or > $95 AF card matches a flat 2% or higher rewards rate, it's better than the Venture. 

If you use a Citi Double Cash and spend $50,000 a year, you earn $1,000 in cash back. 

if you use a C.O Venture and spend $50,000 a year, you earn $1,000 towards certain travel categories, minus $95 for the annual fee, so $905.

If I spend $50,000 a year on my USAA Limitless, I earn $1,250 back without limits, no AF or FTF's. 

If I have a Chase Sapphire Preferred, I get UR's, primary rental car insurance,  trip cancellation/interruption insurance, bagagge insurance, and trip delay reimbursement, for the same AF. 

You say there's more to a card than good cash back and annual fees... True, but what else does the Venture offer? Nothing, in fact, way less than other $95/year cards do. 

Message 77 of 115
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1, i concur

Message 78 of 115
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

----------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure where you're going with this. If a no AF or > $95 AF card matches a flat 2% or higher rewards rate, it's better than the Venture.     

If you use a Citi Double Cash and spend $50,000 a year, you earn $1,000 in cash back. 

if you use a C.O Venture and spend $50,000 a year, you earn $1,000 towards certain travel categories, minus $95 for the annual fee, so $905.

If I spend $50,000 a year on my USAA Limitless, I earn $1,250 back without limits, no AF or FTF's. 

If I have a Chase Sapphire Preferred, I get UR's, primary rental car insurance,  trip cancellation/interruption insurance, bagagge insurance, and trip delay reimbursement, for the same AF. 

You say there's more to a card than good cash back and annual fees... True, but what else does the Venture offer? Nothing, in fact, way less than other $95/year cards do. 

--------------------

Well...I believe in loyality.  

Cap One gave me a $3k card when no one else would even talk to me.

Cap One gave me CLIs, better cards, sign up bonuses, and recently a new $30k at 13.99%.

They even paid me $400 to open it even though it was my 5th or 6th account in the last few years and probably 10th lifetime.

I don't believe in opening cards, taking their money, then dumping them.

Cap One also gave me a 72 month car loan at 2.49% with no money down and no hassels.

I have been treated like a king, earn thousands, and have never paid a dime of interest.

I listed the reasons I like Cap One.

Until they don't treat me right, I have no problem having them as my go to card.

Just because you have a great card that you like, it does not mean that Venture sucks for everyone.

To each their own.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 79 of 115
galahad15
Valued Contributor

One unique feature that Cap1 as an issuer offers on their cards that I recently became aware of is that unlike other cc issuers, if you do a 0% BT and also make purchases while under the BT promo, Cap1 will allow you to avoid paying any interest as long as you pay a certain minimum amount that they specify on your statement every month.  For most issuers, you would stilll pay interest even with a 0% BT as long as you were making purchases together with the BT, since there is no grace period for purchases as long as you are under the BT.  Personally, I have the equivalent of an AF-free Venture card, so I easily consider it to be my best 2% cashback card, due to the speed and flexibility of redemptions, with no minumum redemption amounts.

About a year or so ago, I remember that Cap1 was temporarily experimenting with a pilot program of sorts of giving some new approved Venture cardholders a no-AF Venture card...I wonder if they might someday hopefully bring that AF-free program back (or if enough Cap1 cardholders are unhappy with the increased AF), if that may allow the Venture to compete better with the no-AF 2% cashback cards?  Cap1 has also in the past experimented with an AF-free Spark card pilot program as well btw...

ETA:  corrections / edits

Message 80 of 115
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.