CAP ONE raised the AF on the Venture Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CAP ONE raised the AF on the Venture Card

@Dalmus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

I like Venture and QuickSilver and Capital One.

I have no problem with the AF.  I have made a thousands using my cards.

There is more to a good card than cash back percentage and annual fees.

Credit limits, 0% offers, customer service, foreign transaction fees, and more all matter to me.

Cap One treats me extremely well and has since the day I started rebuilding.

Is it the best card for everyone?  No. 

But for a lot of us it is the best card for our current profile.

For many a card like a no AF QuickSilver 1.5% cash back card might be a better option.

But for some, like me, that .5% difference is much more than the AF.

I make more than $100 each month in rewards.

Of course, none of this matters if you are paying interest.  I am not.

I'm not sure where you're going with this. If a no AF or > $95 AF card matches a flat 2% or higher rewards rate, it's better than the Venture. 

If you use a Citi Double Cash and spend $50,000 a year, you earn $1,000 in cash back. 

if you use a C.O Venture and spend $50,000 a year, you earn $1,000 towards certain travel categories, minus $95 for the annual fee, so $905.

If I spend $50,000 a year on my USAA Limitless, I earn $1,250 back without limits, no AF or FTF's. 

If I have a Chase Sapphire Preferred, I get UR's, primary rental car insurance,  trip cancellation/interruption insurance, bagagge insurance, and trip delay reimbursement, for the same AF. 

You say there's more to a card than good cash back and annual fees... True, but what else does the Venture offer? Nothing, in fact, way less than other $95/year cards do. 

Again, all those cards you've referenced are cards that are harder to get, either because of membership requirements or credit requirements that many people on a rebuilding patch simply can't meet.

If you qualify for a no annual fee 2% card with similar benefits, then of course its better than having a Venture.  But for the rest of us, its NOT a bad card.  Providing you have the spend to counteract the AF and actually use the benefits.

The Venture card is not for rebuilders, it is considered a prime credit card with a minimum credit limit of $5,000. 

The AMEX Blue Cash Preferred, Everyday Preferred, the Citi ThankYou Premier, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Citi Double Cash, etc., do not require a membership. It's not difficult to get a membership into Penfed to get their 2% cash back card. The only card I listed that's unreasonable to get is the USAA Limitless for obvious reasons. 

The Capital One Venture, outside of the sign up bonus, is a really bad card for what it offers. 

Message 91 of 115
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Dalmus wrote:

I'm not sure where you're going with this. If a no AF or > $95 AF card matches a flat 2% or higher rewards rate, it's better than the Venture. 

If you use a Citi Double Cash and spend $50,000 a year, you earn $1,000 in cash back. 

if you use a C.O Venture and spend $50,000 a year, you earn $1,000 towards certain travel categories, minus $95 for the annual fee, so $905.

If I spend $50,000 a year on my USAA Limitless, I earn $1,250 back without limits, no AF or FTF's. 

If I have a Chase Sapphire Preferred, I get UR's, primary rental car insurance,  trip cancellation/interruption insurance, bagagge insurance, and trip delay reimbursement, for the same AF. 

You say there's more to a card than good cash back and annual fees... True, but what else does the Venture offer? Nothing, in fact, way less than other $95/year cards do. 

Again, all those cards you've referenced are cards that are harder to get, either because of membership requirements or credit requirements that many people on a rebuilding patch simply can't meet.

If you qualify for a no annual fee 2% card with similar benefits, then of course its better than having a Venture.  But for the rest of us, its NOT a bad card.  Providing you have the spend to counteract the AF and actually use the benefits.

The Venture card is not for rebuilders, it is considered a prime credit card with a minimum credit limit of $5,000. 

The AMEX Blue Cash Preferred, Everyday Preferred, the Citi ThankYou Premier, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Citi Double Cash, etc., do not require a membership. It's not difficult to get a membership into Penfed to get their 2% cash back card. The only card I listed that's unreasonable to get is the USAA Limitless for obvious reasons. 

The Capital One Venture, outside of the sign up bonus, is a really bad card for what it offers. 

Perhaps rebuilder is the wrong classification.  Even though its a "prime" card (I really hate that term), Venture is definitely easier to get than a Citi or a Chase card because of the credit profile restrictions those banks have in place.  Amex IS apparently easier to get these days (I got one, after all!), but the BCP and EDP cards have spending caps and other restrictions that might not make them a competitive card for some people.   For example, I don't spend $500 a month at supermarkets...  Without that 6% to offset everytihing else that's only 1%, there's no advantage for me over the Venture.

I'm not saying the Venture is necessarily better than the ones you listed.  If definitely is not for people who's spending profiles match those Amex cards.  Without the sign-on bonus that covers the annual fee for 5 years, it would be a real hard sell, for sure.

Now Penfed...  You got me on that one. Smiley Happy  If I hadn't opened so many 5 digit credit lines this year, I'd go for for it myself, although I'm not really excited about having to open another checking account to actually get 2%.

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 92 of 115
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dalmus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Dalmus wrote:

Perhaps rebuilder is the wrong classification.  Even though its a "prime" card (I really hate that term), Venture is definitely easier to get than a Citi or a Chase card because of the credit profile restrictions those banks have in place.  Amex IS apparently easier to get these days (I got one, after all!), but the BCP and EDP cards have spending caps and other restrictions that might not make them a competitive card for some people.   For example, I don't spend $500 a month at supermarkets...  Without that 6% to offset everytihing else that's only 1%, there's no advantage for me over the Venture.

I'm not saying the Venture is necessarily better than the ones you listed.  If definitely is not for people who's spending profiles match those Amex cards.  Without the sign-on bonus that covers the annual fee for 5 years, it would be a real hard sell, for sure.

Now Penfed...  You got me on that one. Smiley Happy  If I hadn't opened so many 5 digit credit lines this year, I'd go for for it myself, although I'm not really excited about having to open another checking account to actually get 2%.

If you aren't a card churner, Chase cards are not that hard to get. Throughout 2017, I was approved for four Citi cards with 20+ inquiries on my Equifax report, so Citi cards aren't really that difficult to get, with the only exception being the Prestige, which I've seen people with excellent income and credit history on here turned down or manually reviewed for that card. 

The EDP has a spending cap of $6,000 a year on groceries, but 1.5x MR points is usually a higher value than 2% cash back when redeemed for travel on the Venture. Even then, by the time you hit the cap, you're already way ahead of what you'd get on the Venture anyways. 

Message 93 of 115
Anonymous
Not applicable

"what else does the Venture offer? Nothing, in fact, way less than other $95/year cards do."

CapOne just stepped their game up with Venture, 10x miles at Hotel(.)com

Screenshot_20180131-170049.jpg

Message 94 of 115
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

I wonder if the new hotels.com promotion had anything to do with this. Also wonder if my renewal fee will remain at $59 or revert to the higher fee

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 95 of 115
masscredit
Valued Contributor

My Venture just renewed at $59.00.

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

SDFCU Secured - $5000 / TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 96 of 115
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would imagine so. Hopefully we'll keep seeing more new perks like this in the near future.
Message 97 of 115
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's awesome!
Message 98 of 115
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Keep in mind the no-AF Venture One also works with the Hotels.com promo, and at the same 10x rate.  Smiley Wink

Message 99 of 115
Anonymous
Not applicable

yes, indeed

Message 100 of 115
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.