Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAP One bucketed forever?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CAP One bucketed forever?

FWIW, Cap One's card portfolio really isn't very impressive.  Outside of their starter cards, there isn't much to them.  I guess arguments can be made here and there for cards like the Savor, but for most of their products there's easily a competitor product out there that's "better" under most circumstances. 

I have never had any desire at all to app for a second Cap One card and I'm one of those guys that only has a "starter bucket" card that I got when I was rebuilding and had a 619 score.  I could probably get approved with a $20k+ limit from them today depending on which card I applied for, but none of them have any appeal whatsoever to me.

Message 11 of 40
Joecooltech
Regular Contributor

I have a platinum card that got converted to a qs card I have pushed 15k through the card in a year with a 1k limit. I still can't get them to give me a cli
Message 12 of 40
Joecooltech
Regular Contributor

Re: CAP One bucketed forever.

I have a platinum card that got converted to a qs card I have pushed 15k through the card in a year with a 1k limit. I still can't get them to give me a cli
Message 13 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is one way that I know of to get around the starter bucket and to my knowledge I may be the only forum member that has done this.  Basically what you need to do is call up the EO and tell them that for whatever reason you can't initiate a CLI through either their online method or phone system.  Simply tell them that you keep getting an error message.  The EO at that point can make the decision to do a "manual review" for the CLI... which basically takes the computer and bucket you're in out of the equation.  With a human being looking at those numbers above, I have little doubt that a CLI would be granted if you were using > 100% of your limit on average over the course of a year.

This was the only way that I was able to get a CLI while in a starter bucket with Cap One.

Message 14 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got my first Capital One card (after burning them 7 years ago) which was a Platinum for $500 SL. It's been over a year and a half and it's now a Quicksilver with a $2250 limit (the most recent CLI they gave me was an auto for $1k increase). So they have been giving me credit increases even though I started off with not so hot credit.

Message 15 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I once had a card from cap1,
but they put me in a bucket.
So when it was time,
for a new credit line.
I just said....

It's a limerick so use your imagination.

Cap1 helped me restart. However, they bucketed me with a $250, $500 & $750 credit limit and never an increase after. Many years later I realized that Cap1 would not budge so I closed my account and moved on. No, I was not interested in taking a three credit bureau hit for a new card which would potentially solve my bucketed dilema (at that point I figured it out, I had already acquired great cards from other financial providers and just moved on)!

Message 16 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

When Cap1 offers you a 100 cli you kno that you have been bucketed SORRY Smiley Indifferent

Message 17 of 40
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

This comes up a lot and I usually just read the comments. The Cap1 bucket cards or as I say the starter cards are no different than many other CC's that banks give a person to jump start their credit journey. As it did in my situation. There are a whole lot more folks on this forum without a BK than with one. You can add many secured that dont unsecure CC's. Low limit cards that will never grow to be the best in your wallet. They are there for folks to start to start/build/rebuild their credit and then move up the ladder to the next higest step possible. Some people will go up the ladder steps quickly to the top. And then some that try to go up the backside of the ladder where the steps are far apart and makes it harder to climb.

Cap1's starter cards are not going to be your lifelong best in your wallet card. They are meant to lead to better things after you completed the steps program. They will never be your top cards after moving up the FICO ladder. They will never give out those high CLI's. It is what it is. A starter card. Dont expect a lot out of them. Dont expect huge CLI's. They want you to apply for the top tier cards eventually. Who has a unsecured no fee Credit One card with a CL of 10g's? I had to pay my dues with both starters and it led to bigger and better things. And then they were put to rest. They did what they are named for. Starter cards.

Lastly. If anyone thinks the Plat/QS/QS1 will grow like NFCU, Chase, BoA, Chase, and so on. Its not going to happen. You'll be stuck on the first step on the back side of the ladder. Use them for what they were intended for and move on. Best of luck to all on your rebuilds.

Message 18 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I figured that out already lol!

@Anonymous wrote:

When Cap1 offers you a 100 cli you kno that you have been bucketed SORRY Smiley Indifferent

Message 19 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed.

I even had a credit one card during my rebuild. closed that one last year. 

Six months ago, I didn't figure I would have two AMEX cards, a Navy Fed card, and an auto loan with Navy with such a great rate.

Will make a decision in the next few weeks on keeping open or closed.

Data Points:

Both CAP1 cards are zero balance, as are most of my cards. Aggregate UTI <3%.

Looking forward to breaking into the 700's soon.

@FireMedic1 wrote:

This comes up a lot and I usually just read the comments. The Cap1 bucket cards or as I say the starter cards are no different than many other CC's that banks give a person to jump start their credit journey. As it did in my situation. There are a whole lot more folks on this forum without a BK than with one. You can add many secured that dont unsecure CC's. Low limit cards that will never grow to be the best in your wallet. They are there for folks to start to start/build/rebuild their credit and then move up the ladder to the next higest step possible. Some people will go up the ladder steps quickly to the top. And then some that try to go up the backside of the ladder where the steps are far apart and makes it harder to climb.

Cap1's starter cards are not going to be your lifelong best in your wallet card. They are meant to lead to better things after you completed the steps program. They will never be your top cards after moving up the FICO ladder. They will never give out those high CLI's. It is what it is. A starter card. Dont expect a lot out of them. Dont expect huge CLI's. They want you to apply for the top tier cards eventually. Who has a unsecured no fee Credit One card with a CL of 10g's? I had to pay my dues with both starters and it led to bigger and better things. And then they were put to rest. They did what they are named for. Starter cards.

Lastly. If anyone thinks the Plat/QS/QS1 will grow like NFCU, Chase, BoA, Chase, and so on. Its not going to happen. You'll be stuck on the first step on the back side of the ladder. Use them for what they were intended for and move on. Best of luck to all on your rebuilds.

Message 20 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.