Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAP1 Experience

tag
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

Re: CAP1 Experience

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

What other credit cards do you have that treat you better?

Cap One gives people a chance without extortion.

I have never paid a dime in interest or fees to Cap One and have collected THOUSANDS in reward cash back.

You should NEVER max out a card.  Pay Weekly.  Pay Daily if you have to.  Keep your balance low and your use high.

I went from $0 to $50,000 credit with Cap One in 2 years.

Perhaps you had a random bad experience.

Good Luck.

^word. incredible company, cannot imagine a better place to get a fresh start. as stated before, if one uses chat and does their verify that is pushed to the screen they will do whatever you want.
Message 11 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I just got my Cap1 Plat card a month ago with a $500 limit.  I used all $500 of it last month.  I paid it in full before the due date.  I login to my account to pake sure the balance is zero and it says account restricted.  I didnt use my card after I made the payment.  I called them and they want me to send proof of identity or go into the brance and the barely english speaking rep told me that it could have been because of the payment I made.  **bleep**?  Why because I paid it in full?  I also had a Cap1 secured card for 6 months and expected them to convert it to a regualr card and they said they dont do that so I cancelled it and got this one.  Capital One SUCKS.  They have horrible customer service and there is no one to speak to about a credit limit increase or a credit analyst.  I plan on going to the branch tomorrow and closing my checking account and credit card.  Who the hell wants to deal with their BS?

OP, it looks like you don't yet have a full picture of what happened in the first place, as to what triggered the account restriction.

It might be that they are trying to just verify your identity since your card is only one month old.

You've mentioned you've maxed out the card in the first month, are you sure you did not go over the current credit limit even by a few cents? 

It is unfortunate that their starter cards don't have the same customer service experience as their prime cards but it is what it is. Take the advice of the other members here and call the executive office to figure out what the current situation is. 

I started with capital one the same way as you, with a secured card and worked my way up to the prime cards which have amazing customer service, to the point where CSRs will fight for you with airline companies and other vendors. Hang in there, your patience will pay off soon!

Message 12 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hasn't there been some chatter on the forum about making one large payment to a low limit credit card triggering some ID/fraud concerns? I thought I just read that in a different thread about Chase (I believe).

Maybe that had something to do with it? OP did you make several smaller payments? One large one?

I had credit one require me to verify my bank account because I made 3 payments in one month, but I've never made a $500+ payment on a card.

The newness of the account and the high spend might have something to do with it.

Did Cap1 send you any emails about purchases you've made? I've had that happen before to confirm that I tipped x amount etc.

OP, I'd try to find out the rationale for the restriction by calling EO....I have pretty much nothing but good things to say about Cap1 and my experiences with them pre and post rebuild.

Message 13 of 26
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

That happened to me,I just called spoke to a rep he said email me a picture of a bill or void check or something with your name and address to me, with the same email you have on file. I did so and before the call even ended it was not restricted anymore.
Message 14 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Psych warfare you are correct. When I got my qs1 back in November. I made 12 or more payments in a month I got flagged. Had to send in bill drivers license and voided check. They stated that the 12 payments is what flagged me as each one was over 400 dollars. Now they don't hold my payments if they are a lot in a month. Just this month I've made 3 1000 dollar. Payments no issues what so ever.
Message 15 of 26
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Psych warfare you are correct. When I got my qs1 back in November. I made 12 or more payments in a month I got flagged. Had to send in bill drivers license and voided check. They stated that the 12 payments is what flagged me as each one was over 400 dollars. Now they don't hold my payments if they are a lot in a month. Just this month I've made 3 1000 dollar. Payments no issues what so ever.

^ this.

The more you pay and the more normal it is the less they worry.

I make payments all the time.  Like 20 or 30 in month between 5 Cap One accounts.

My payments clear Cap One within 12 hours, often before I even see them on my checking acct online.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 16 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

capital one is in many peoples experience great for building and rebuilding credit and have great customer service, i would definetly give them a second chance 

try to relax and think rationally dont make any decicions while you are emotional. hope all goes well good luck

Message 17 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

A little advice...

Spend some time reading the rebuild board to figure out the best way to build a healthy and strong credit profile. In the meantime, don't get angry each time a creditor does something you don't like. Trust me, this won't be the first or last time a creditor gets on your nerves. It does you no good. Best of luck OP!

Message 18 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got my card in February and spent 2900 of the 3k credit line. Paid it off in one large payment 5 days before the closing date. Again this Month I almost hit the 3k credit line and Will pay before the closing date. They did send me a fraud message saying I need to check my online documents but my account was never restricted and I never had to respond to anything. I do try every 2 weeks to upgrade my card to normal QS but no luck yet. I find the CSR very nice even for my subprime card.

Message 19 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't be anywhere near where I am today if it wasn't for Capital One. I say give them another shot and just provide the information requested. 

I'll never have a bad thing to say about them.

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.