Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAPONE CLs answered!

tag
credithappy
Regular Contributor

Re: CAPONE CLs answered!

I would cancel the card.  Cap One is a shark in regards the customer on CC.  You can call them blue in the face and they will still not give you a CLI.  CANCEL THEM!!!  

I canceled two of MY Cap One cards 2 years ago because of that reason.  Smiley Mad

Amex Green - Amex BCP - Amex Everyday Card - Amex Rose Gold - Elan Visa - Xcel FCU Visa - Walmart MC - Sam's MC - Macy's - Bloomingdales - Nordstrom - Sam's Club CC - Discover IT and US Bank Visa FlexPerks - AMEX HHonors - NAVcheck - NAVcashRewards Sig Visa, NAVgoRewards MC, Chase Amazon VISA, BoA CashRewards VISA - Chase Marriott Reward Premier CC, Jetblue Card MC, PenFed Power CR Visa Signature Card, Chase Freedom, Nordy VISA and BBVA
Message 11 of 16
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@maiden_girl wrote:

Sooo..today I called CAP ONE to request a CLI...

I always try with this card because I don't want to cancel it as it is my oldest account. I like the card and the rewards (MTV Visa) but the CL sucks!! Anyway I tried EVERYTHING...Reiterated that I was a on time paying customer, never paid APR, stays under the limit, never maxed the card out...the agent stays "Let me check your credit to see what I can do!" *waiting waiting waiting* 5 minutes later the agent comes back and says my request was not approved for reason unknown. The agent said he couldn't release why it was not approved and after 5 more minutes of chatting with the agent about my credit worthiness...the rep broke down and said the lack of increases were not due to my credit report or account history b/c it was relatively good but due to the type of card I had. Apparently this whole time...I've had a CREDIT STEP CARD...which is basically a rebuilder card that gradually rewards customers who do well with the card. The MTV Visa card is not upgradeable (I tried that too). Only option is to apply for a different card within their network to escape it. The only thing they really could offer me was a APR reduction...24.9 to 20.9...not a big difference really. Apparently my account is due for an auto increase soon, says the agent. Got the card in 2010 and only had a CLI in 2010...lets see how long much longer I have to wait before I get the CL I want.

You have a better chance of seeing god then getting a Cap1 CLI.............statistics have proven this. Many of man/woman have went to the grave and left the Cap1 CLI promise in the will for their grandkids.

Smiley Very Happy

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 12 of 16
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

I would cancel mine if it wasnt my oldest card. I don't expect to see any limit increase if any soon. I just paid them off and cashed in my rewards. They'll get the message. Lol
As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 13 of 16
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@maiden_girl wrote:
I would cancel mine if it wasnt my oldest card. I don't expect to see any limit increase if any soon. I just paid them off and cashed in my rewards. They'll get the message. Lol

Even if it is your oldest card it will still continue to report for 10 years. So by the time it falls off your other accounts will have aged up a bit. 

Message 14 of 16
compassion101
Established Contributor

I think I got lucky with my initial CLs or maybe capone was much more generous 7-8 years ago.

They offered me platinum visa soon after my BK and gave me $1500 CL. Six months later they offered me platinum MC and $5k CL and 13.9% APR. Those have been my main cards for 7 years along with WAMU card that turned into Chase when they were taken over. I never really needed or wanted anything else till I realized I was missing alot of savings without rewards cards. After starting CR cleanup in March I now have PC'd the chase into a freedom, and have new discover and barclays with 0% into/BT.

I've called CAPOne about CLI but no dice. I'll get rid of them eventually but not yet, particularly the 5k CL one is a nice emergency net if ever needed (my cashflow fluctuates drastically month to month). They both have AFs, the 5k one is actually a $5/month fee instead of annual. When I called to negotiate they told me they could not discontinue the fee but did credit back ten months worth. The other is annual, I might get rid of it in January if they don't wave it, but it fits in nicely for me right now since I have an assiciate in Canada as an AU on it and it carries no foreign transaction fee (and I don't want the associate to have the 5k limit).

Anyway, I have no idea why I lucked out with a better CL than people talk about. I was fresh from bankrupcy. Maybe they viewed things differently 7 years ago.

Message 15 of 16
cmthomas06
Regular Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@maiden_girl wrote:

Sooo..today I called CAP ONE to request a CLI...

I always try with this card because I don't want to cancel it as it is my oldest account. I like the card and the rewards (MTV Visa) but the CL sucks!! Anyway I tried EVERYTHING...Reiterated that I was a on time paying customer, never paid APR, stays under the limit, never maxed the card out...the agent stays "Let me check your credit to see what I can do!" *waiting waiting waiting* 5 minutes later the agent comes back and says my request was not approved for reason unknown. The agent said he couldn't release why it was not approved and after 5 more minutes of chatting with the agent about my credit worthiness...the rep broke down and said the lack of increases were not due to my credit report or account history b/c it was relatively good but due to the type of card I had. Apparently this whole time...I've had a CREDIT STEP CARD...which is basically a rebuilder card that gradually rewards customers who do well with the card. The MTV Visa card is not upgradeable (I tried that too). Only option is to apply for a different card within their network to escape it. The only thing they really could offer me was a APR reduction...24.9 to 20.9...not a big difference really. Apparently my account is due for an auto increase soon, says the agent. Got the card in 2010 and only had a CLI in 2010...lets see how long much longer I have to wait before I get the CL I want.

You have a better chance of seeing god then getting a Cap1 CLI.............statistics have proven this. Many of man/woman have went to the grave and left the Cap1 CLI promise in the will for their grandkids.

hahahahaha best thing I have read on this site so far! 

Ex 752 (Amex) Tu 758 (Walmart) Eq 703
Goal: 750+ on all
Current Cards: Cap1 Cash Back; Chase Freedom; Chase Amazon; Citi Thank You; Citi Forward; Discover iT; Amex Zync; GE WalMart; BoA 3-2-1
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.