Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC AF vs. Checking Acct fees

tag
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

CC AF vs. Checking Acct fees

I am so cheap that I won't pay a bank a monthly fee for a checking account, but I will pay Amex for the Delta Sky Miles card? 

It is the only card I have with a fee, but if a bank told me that I had to pay a monthly fee I would split.  Wells did that and I left.  I have a Chase card, but not a Chase checking. 

I might pay a fee for another card with great benefits.  Might.  Does this mean that I am simply cheap and that I have an Amex fetish?

I literally have enough money in both my checking accounts that even if there was a fee I wouldn't need to pay it.  However, I know if they told me they were going to start charging a fee I would simply go elsewhere.  Am I messed up for thinking this way?  Does anyone else have the same mentality?  (Or am I just mental?)

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Kwyjibo
Established Member

Re: CC AF vs. Checking Acct fees

@bernhardtra wrote:

I am so cheap that I won't pay a bank a monthly fee for a checking account, but I will pay Amex for the Delta Sky Miles card? 

It is the only card I have with a fee, but if a bank told me that I had to pay a monthly fee I would split.  Wells did that and I left.  I have a Chase card, but not a Chase checking. 

I might pay a fee for another card with great benefits.  Might.  Does this mean that I am simply cheap and that I have an Amex fetish?

I literally have enough money in both my checking accounts that even if there was a fee I wouldn't need to pay it.  However, I know if they told me they were going to start charging a fee I would simply go elsewhere.  Am I messed up for thinking this way?  Does anyone else have the same mentality?  (Or am I just mental?)

Nooooo, you aren't messed up for thinking this way, and you aren't the only one of this mentality. I had a checking acct with Wells Fargo and they pulled the same stunt with me (monthly charge just to have the account). I politely told them to stick it, and opened a checking acct with a local bank who doesn't do crap like that.

However, if a card is going to give me great benefits, I, like you, would be willing to pay the fee. Give and take.

Gardening until at least 12.16.13
Message 2 of 11
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@bernhardtra wrote:

Fees for using my money is crazy, so no you are not mental. 

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 3 of 11
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

I do think it's a bit odd that you don't want te account even though you wouldn't be charged the fee.

Message 4 of 11
DaniBananiie
Established Contributor

I'm so cheap I booted Chase for my CU. lol
 photo IT_REDDAISY_zps2c12a8e3.gif
Message 5 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@bernhardtra wrote:

I think it is just what you are used to.  So many people in the past had free checking (well, free from monthly fees), this is now rarer at big banks (although most will be free with minimum balances etc).   So, being hit with a fee makes people look elsewhere.

The big banks claim that checking accounts are quite expensive, a few hundred dollars a year on average, more than they make on the average balance in today's interest environment.  But impossible to verify!

And since there are still good alternatives, it makes sense not to pay a fee.   But the same analysis applies to CCs as well, there are fairly good free cards, and cards with AF.   If the added benefits are good enough, then people pay the AF.   With checking accounts, excluding high end private banking etc, the extra fees over a free account generally provide nothing or very little.

Message 6 of 11
Open123
Super Contributor

@bernhardtra wrote:

These days, I see no reason pay *any* fees for deposit accounts.  

For me, I never walk into a bank, use a teller, or any of the "personal" services.  I do all my banking via ATM, remotely, or just online.  

Message 7 of 11
somnipotent
Frequent Contributor

Move your money to a CU or find a bank that doesn't charge MRCs if you meet the minimum balance.

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx Costco ($8.2K) | AmEx Delta Gold ($19.3K) | AmEx BCE ($5K) | Chase United Explorer ($10K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($7.5K) | Chase Freedom ($8.2K) | Discover it ($3K) | Capital One Quicksilver ($2.5K) | PayPal Extras ($2.5K) | Lowes ($3.3K) | Walmart ($4.3K) | Amazon ($2.5K) | Restoration Hardware ($8.8K) | Crate & Barrel ($8.3K)
--
Homeowner since 05/29/13
Message 8 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

It's not cheap, why pay to use my own money that they are making money off of? I have 3 CU accounts and last month opened an account as CPC. They are never getting a dime from me. I remember when checking accounts were really free at banks.
Message 9 of 11
CEOriginal
Contributor

I currently bank with PNC, and used to look at other banks so weird for charging maintenance fees................ Then PNC recently announced that they will start doing the same.

You can bypass the fees by having a monthly Direct Deposit totaling at least $800, which I easily pass, but still.. It definitely put a sour taste in my mouth. I ALMOST want to leave, but they've been pretty good to me... I guess....

Scores as of 7/28/13: EX.683   TU.688   EQ.???
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.