cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC Benefits

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

CC Benefits

So I was minding my own business inventorying all my various cc benefits the other day, post gutting, when I discovered a very peculiar thing.

It seems that the only card I still have with price protection still is navy's platinum.

Most still have 90 days of purchase protection with Chase having 120.

Most still have 1 year extended warranty maximum on a 3 year manufacturer warranty. Luckily, I still have the Simplicity that gives me 24 months, but that's a unicorn.

Other than that, the benefits I see are pretty much useless or standard. I mean big deal you're going to give me roadside assistance I pay for, or zero liability that all cards have, or secondary CDW, etc...

For a collection of our current FICO scoring wisdom, updated as we learn, read the following. Watch the revision dates on the bottom of the first 8 posts as they are regularly updated: Link to Scoring Primer.

RIP:

Scores updated May 2020, unless otherwise noted. 5 revolvers reporting a balance, where it's normally 1, but took an HP on EX.

(Forgive typos, mobile.)(Everything said is Just IMHO.)

In order to better answer your questions and record your DPs, please provide your profile stats: Any baddies? Severity and recency? (clean/dirty), Number of accounts, both open and closed on CRs (thick/thin), AoOA? (aged/nonaged), AOYRA-Age of Youngest Revolving Account (new accounts/no new accounts)? Open/closed loan on CR?
For example, mine is clean/thick/aged/new account, with open loan on record.
If you don't know where you fall, just detail any baddies, your number of open and closed accounts, AoOA, AOYRA and whether you have a loan on record.

For utilization questions, list individual and aggregate utilizations, revolving and installment, please.
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Established Member

Re: CC Benefits

I was just reading this Points Guy article last night on this very topic. I thought it was reasonably interesting. 

6/26/20
EX 773
EQ 777
TU 780
Message 2 of 18
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

For what it's worth, the Sapphire Reserve offers roadside assistance for which they pay (within limits). It's a hit or miss benefit. If I need roadside assistance, I want the tow truck that's going to take the least time, not necessarily the one that contracts with Chase.

Message 3 of 18
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@VintageMel wrote:

I was just reading this Points Guy article last night on this very topic. I thought it was reasonably interesting. 

Fascinating article

Message 4 of 18
Highlighted
Super Contributor

@Throckmorton wrote:

For what it's worth, the Sapphire Reserve offers roadside assistance for which they pay (within limits). It's a hit or miss benefit. If I need roadside assistance, I want the tow truck that's going to take the least time, not necessarily the one that contracts with Chase.

Twice I used roadside assistance with Amex Platinum (no longer included as of a few months go). Fortunately I was home and neither call was urgent.

The fist time I got a flatbed truck in about 90 minites. The second time a tow truck arrived after like 4 hours. Slow, considering both were in Los Angeles county.

The first driver mentioned that AAA calls generally got higher priority.

Spend: BofA PR + WWFCR, BBP, Schwab Platinum, Freedom x 2, Costco, Discover
Perks: IHG49, Hyatt75, Delta Platinum, "Old" SPG95
SD/AAoA Ballast: Arrival, CFU, DC
Upgrade/downgrade games: BCP, EDP
Mostly earning MRs and cash back as I use up hotel and airline points spread across several programs.
Message 5 of 18
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Keep in mind it's not just the benefit terms that matter, but also the claims process. An extended warranty on a $200 purchase isn't that great if it takes several calls to complete a claim.

Amex has a reputation for easy claims. Citi claims can sometime be smooth (they've changed benefit managers a lot) but the last time I had to dispute a charge with Citi (he merchant refused to grant a refund even though it acknowledged I returned goods within the return window) it was a real PITA. I won the dispute but it took a lot of documentation. So I generally favor Amex.

Mostly earning MRs and cash back as I use up hotel and airline points spread across several programs.
Message 6 of 18
Highlighted
New Contributor

I know that the price protection benefit was abused. (Actually, all benefits are probably abused at some point!) I remember reading about people using Discover or another card with the benefit and ordering a few days before Black Friday, but after the sales were published. That way they could get their merchandise early, and stock wasn't an issue. Then when the Black Friday sales hit, they would get the difference refunded.

Message 7 of 18
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

@VintageMel wrote:

I noticed this article is incorrect as far as Chase is concerned.

For a collection of our current FICO scoring wisdom, updated as we learn, read the following. Watch the revision dates on the bottom of the first 8 posts as they are regularly updated: Link to Scoring Primer.

RIP:

Scores updated May 2020, unless otherwise noted. 5 revolvers reporting a balance, where it's normally 1, but took an HP on EX.

(Forgive typos, mobile.)(Everything said is Just IMHO.)

In order to better answer your questions and record your DPs, please provide your profile stats: Any baddies? Severity and recency? (clean/dirty), Number of accounts, both open and closed on CRs (thick/thin), AoOA? (aged/nonaged), AOYRA-Age of Youngest Revolving Account (new accounts/no new accounts)? Open/closed loan on CR?
For example, mine is clean/thick/aged/new account, with open loan on record.
If you don't know where you fall, just detail any baddies, your number of open and closed accounts, AoOA, AOYRA and whether you have a loan on record.

For utilization questions, list individual and aggregate utilizations, revolving and installment, please.
Message 8 of 18
Highlighted
Super Contributor

@MrT_521 wrote:

I know that the price protection benefit was abused. (Actually, all benefits are probably abused at some point!) I remember reading about people using Discover or another card with the benefit and ordering a few days before Black Friday, but after the sales were published. That way they could get their merchandise early, and stock wasn't an issue. Then when the Black Friday sales hit, they would get the difference refunded.

I used it a lot with Citi, saving several thousand dollars. Black Friday actually wasn't that big an event for me as far as savings, though that may just be because I wasn't buying the things that would go on sale then. A lot of Black Friday deals aren't actually that great.

Citi had an automated search tool that would track price changes at several merchants and short-lived price fluctuations were actually pretty common year-round. I didn't need Black Friday.

Message 9 of 18
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@MrT_521 wrote:

This is the common (and predictable) sequence of events:  credit card offers a benefit, people abuse the benefit, credit card either imposes stricter controls on the benefit or cancels it entirely.  Never count on these benefits lasting more than a few years at most.

PenFed Power Cash • Promise • NFCU Flagship • More Rewards • cashRewards
Chase Sapphire Reserve • Freedom • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.