Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC Benefits

Highlighted
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: CC Benefits

I remember back in the day that amex would pay for the roadside. Or at least, they never charged me. Never used the service again for a good 10 or so years. I was a bit shocked later when I read the t&c for everyone and they would merely facilitate the call. Why do I need them for that? It became a worthless service. Maybe it would come in handy in a foreign country where I don't know the companies or if I'll get ripped off, but I don't typically rent a vehicle when traveling to another country.

Message 11 of 18
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

AAA is the best $100/year (or whatever it is) that I spend. Especially when you drive a near 14 year old car.

Their battery replacement service is fantastic as well. I paid a premium for it, but it was nice to jump my car to make it to Sunday Funday football with my friends and have them come change my battery at the bar Smiley Happy

Ch 7 Discharge May 2015
Discover/Target/NFCU CLOC/NFCU More Rewards Amex/NFCU Platinum/PenFed Power Cash Rewards/PenFed Pathfinder Visa/Citi Costco Visa/CapitalOne SavorOne - $127,400 total revolving
May 2020 - EQ/EX/TU Fico8: 689/688/679 INQ: 4/2/2 Util: 13.7% total, 4 accts reporting $0, 5 accts each under 30%
Message 12 of 18
Highlighted
Mega Contributor

I have called for roadside assistance about 2 times in 20 years.

It was on a new Chevy Tahoe, spit the fan belt off.

Called Chevrolet. they sent someone out for free.

I did get a flat tire on a truck once, happened to be a Tire store within 800 feet.

Hit a pothole on the freeway, blew a tire in Mercedes, freeway service patrol came and changed for free.

I guess I have just been ultra lucky.

"It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?"
Message 13 of 18
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Price Rewind was my favorite Citi benefit.  I'd buy retail stuff with my Citi DC specifically to take advantage of that, and it paid off several times.  Now the DC pretty much just serves as backup for utility payments and shops that don't take Amex.

Message 14 of 18
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

@MrT_521 wrote:

I know that the price protection benefit was abused. (Actually, all benefits are probably abused at some point!) I remember reading about people using Discover or another card with the benefit and ordering a few days before Black Friday, but after the sales were published. That way they could get their merchandise early, and stock wasn't an issue. Then when the Black Friday sales hit, they would get the difference refunded.

This is the common (and predictable) sequence of events:  credit card offers a benefit, people abuse the benefit, credit card either imposes stricter controls on the benefit or cancels it entirely.  Never count on these benefits lasting more than a few years at most.

This is true but the premium cards had the suite of benefits and that's been there for nearly as long as I can remember. But then, discover started shutting the stuff down and everybody followed suit.

I recently was reading an article (might've been the one upthread) and they were saying it was just costing them too much. I guess they're giving us more rewards, so they're taking more benefits, and like you said, people abusing things too.

For a collection of our current FICO scoring wisdom, updated as we learn, read the following. Watch the revision dates on the bottom of the first 8 posts as they are regularly updated: Link to Scoring Primer.

RIP:

Scores updated May 2020, unless otherwise noted. 5 revolvers reporting a balance, where it's normally 1, but took an HP on EX.

(Forgive typos, mobile.)(Everything said is Just IMHO.)

In order to better answer your questions and record your DPs, please provide your profile stats: Any baddies? Severity and recency? (clean/dirty), Number of accounts, both open and closed on CRs (thick/thin), AoOA? (aged/nonaged), AOYRA-Age of Youngest Revolving Account (new accounts/no new accounts)? Open/closed loan on CR?
For example, mine is clean/thick/aged/new account, with open loan on record.
If you don't know where you fall, just detail any baddies, your number of open and closed accounts, AoOA, AOYRA and whether you have a loan on record.

For utilization questions, list individual and aggregate utilizations, revolving and installment, please.
Message 15 of 18
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

I remember back in the day that amex would pay for the roadside. Or at least, they never charged me. Never used the service again for a good 10 or so years. I was a bit shocked later when I read the t&c for everyone and they would merely facilitate the call. Why do I need them for that? It became a worthless service. Maybe it would come in handy in a foreign country where I don't know the companies or if I'll get ripped off, but I don't typically rent a vehicle when traveling to another country.

That's what I'm talking about, a lot of these services they just facilitate the communication for you, how is that a benefit when I can call them myself?

For a collection of our current FICO scoring wisdom, updated as we learn, read the following. Watch the revision dates on the bottom of the first 8 posts as they are regularly updated: Link to Scoring Primer.

RIP:

Scores updated May 2020, unless otherwise noted. 5 revolvers reporting a balance, where it's normally 1, but took an HP on EX.

In order to better answer your questions and record your DPs, please provide your profile stats: Any baddies? Severity and recency? (clean/dirty), Number of accounts, both open and closed on CRs (thick/thin), AoOA? (aged/nonaged), AOYRA-Age of Youngest Revolving Account (new accounts/no new accounts)? Open/closed loan on CR?
If you don't know where you fall, just detail any baddies, your number of open and closed accounts, AoOA, AOYRA and whether you have a loan on record.

For utilization questions, list individual and aggregate utilizations, revolving and installment, please.
Message 16 of 18
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

@SteelerNYC wrote:

AAA is the best $100/year (or whatever it is) that I spend. Especially when you drive a near 14 year old car.

Their battery replacement service is fantastic as well. I paid a premium for it, but it was nice to jump my car to make it to Sunday Funday football with my friends and have them come change my battery at the bar Smiley Happy

Don't quote me on this, but I remember reading an article about AAA. They also sell car insurance. The more tickets you have, the higher your premiums. It's my understanding anytime a speed increase is considered even when warranted, they send someone to the hearing to oppose that, because they prefer the lower limits and therefore the assumption is more tickets and higher premiums.

There are actually several nationwide services similar to theirs, some with additional benefits and varying prices. So if this concerns you, you may want to check out the alternatives.

RIP:

Message 17 of 18
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

I have called for roadside assistance about 2 times in 20 years.

It was on a new Chevy Tahoe, spit the fan belt off.

Called Chevrolet. they sent someone out for free.

I did get a flat tire on a truck once, happened to be a Tire store within 800 feet.

Hit a pothole on the freeway, blew a tire in Mercedes, freeway service patrol came and changed for free.

I guess I have just been ultra lucky.

Who did it for free, what issuer did that come through?

RIP:

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.