Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC HOLDERS BEWARE MUST READ!!!

tag
silverzgirl
Regular Contributor

Re: CC HOLDERS BEWARE MUST READ!!!

It is not as much the fraud protection; it is the carte blanche access to your cash. If someone pays bills out of that account and your waiter decides he needs a Rolex and a trip to Paris, the bill payer may be in trouble before the problem can be fixed.

I prefer using the CC, and then paying out of my bank account online when I get home. Same thing, but they cannot get my paycheck.

Starting FICO, June 2010: EX-581, EQ-581, TU-581
Now: EX-742 EQ-710 TU-709

Currently: NFCU Platinum Visa 18K, BECU Visa 15K, Navchek 15K, Vystar+ CU Platinum Visa 10000, AMEX Delta SkyMiles 9K, Military Star 8200, Nordstrom VS 7800, Macys 7600, Lowes 6K, Pier 1 6K, Mohawk Floor 4500, TJX Mastercard 4K, Pottery Barn 4K, Amazon 3600, Talbots 3000, Barclaycard 2400, Ann Taylor 2280, Ballard Design, 1500, Victorias Secret 750, NY&CO 500, J.Crew 300

Message 11 of 47
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@silverzgirl wrote:

It is not as much the fraud protection; it is the carte blanche access to your cash. If someone pays bills out of that account and your waiter decides he needs a Rolex and a trip to Paris, the bill payer may be in trouble before the problem can be fixed.

I prefer using the CC, and then paying out of my bank account online when I get home. Same thing, but they cannot get my paycheck.

+1

Plus, some banks/CUs do not replenish your funds immediately - some can take up to a week.  I'd rather avoid the headaches/inconvenience by using a CC anytime.

Message 12 of 47
Countingpennies
Established Contributor

I realize this is somewhat paranoiac, but I don't let my cards leave my sight. If paying by card in a restaurant, I take it and the bill to the cashier myself. I know card numbers can still be stolen, but I believe in minimizing the possibility.
Message 13 of 47
Home2014
New Contributor

This is an old trick that's been around since I was a waitress in college. I recall a wayward friend coming in to dine at the restaurant where I worked and asking me to record the card information for my customers in return for kickbacks - Umm, no! I was a student and a mother, so I had no plans of going to prison.

It's pretty easy to have a fake/mock-up embossed with stolen card information and when the fake swipe panel doesn't work when trying to make a purchase, the cashier will key in the card info and expiration date. The purchase will then go through. 

Cards that are not embossed are better because an inconspicuous trick is to simply take a pencil and paper and quickly scribble over the card to get the details recorded. This can usually be accomplished in a few seconds and not raise a eyebrow on how much time has elapsed while standing at the micro or looking like you are copying details if someone is watching.  I don't think how much time has elapsed when a server has your card is indicative of much of anything, especially if the restaurant is busy or a your party has handed the server multiple cards on which to split the bill. Stealing info can be done in a matter of seconds. Also, I can't think of any restaurant having a cashier besides IHOP or a diner. 

Off-topic Sidebar: I witnessed an inordinate amount fraud and theft while waitressing. Non-English speaking busboys/girls would get ripped off the most in terms of managers and servers stealing their pay. 

Chase Sapphire Preferred $10,000 | United Mileage Plus Visa $8000 | Bank of America Cash Rewards $5000 | Chase Freedom Visa $4800 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum World MC $3500 | PayPal Extras MC $3250 | Amazon Store $3000 | Quicksilver One MC $2500 | Walmart Discover $2000 | Merrick Bank Visa $1400 | First Premier Bank $300
Last App 01/10/2014... In the Garden until Fall 2014
Message 14 of 47
HiLine
Blogger

The thread would be more appropriately entitled "Debit card holders beware" Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 47
randeman
Frequent Contributor

@silverzgirl wrote:

Fair enough, but wouldn't you rather have a debit card that has fraud protection rather than one that didn't?  If you had to choose?

Experian Score: 689--Amex 27 July 2014; Equifax Score 680--MyFICO--17 September 2014; TransUnion Score 718-Discover 20 August 2014--PUH-RAISE JESUS, I finally broke 700!!! Cards and Credit Lines: Escape by Discover, Chase Freedom Signature Visa, Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Signature Visa, Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa, Barclay's Holland America Visa, Citibank Custom Credit Line, Paypal Custom Connect Credit Line, Bloomingdale's, Macy's Premier Elite, Amazon Store Card, Lord & Taylor, Nordstrom, Discover It, Gold Delta SkyMiles from American Express, PayPal BML.
Message 16 of 47
sakhalin070
Frequent Contributor

+1 on always using a CC over a debit card.  A debit card is like a thief's free ticket into my checking account.  I only use my debit cards for ATM transactions and one of my credit unions requires me to use my debit card at least once a month to keep [excellent] checking interest rate.  So I use that debit card for coffee or a vending machine.  I keep my checking account balances low so even if a thief got my debit card, they won't be able to get very far.  And I'm paranoid, so I check my bank and credit account activity at least once a day. Smiley Happy

AMEX BCE, Discover IT, Citi Forward, BoA Travel Rewards, Barclaycard Cash Forward
Message 17 of 47
Steelersboy
Frequent Contributor

@sakhalin070 wrote:

+1 on always using a CC over a debit card.  A debit card is like a thief's free ticket into my checking account.  I only use my debit cards for ATM transactions and one of my credit unions requires me to use my debit card at least once a month to keep [excellent] checking interest rate.  So I use that debit card for coffee or a vending machine.  I keep my checking account balances low so even if a thief got my debit card, they won't be able to get very far.  And I'm paranoid, so I check my bank and credit account activity at least once a day. Smiley Happy

just when i thought iwas the only one lol

If a man empties his purse into his head, no one can take it from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest. - Benjamin Franklin |Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards|Chase Amazon Visa Rewards|BOA Cash Rewards|Commence MC| Citi Double Cash| Amazon Prime Store Card|Discover It|Chase Freedom|Chase Freedom Unlimited|Amex BCE|Wells Fargo Cash Wise|Barclays Cashforward
$89,500 total card credit FICO Equifax-823, FICO Transunion-774, FICO Experian-769, DTI-20.4%
Message 18 of 47
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

I check my accounts religiously too...sometimes as much as 3 times a day D:
Message 19 of 47
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

This happens too often...sorty to hear about your situation...hope it works out to your favor

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 20 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.