cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC's: Do people step on a dollar just to pick up a quarter?

tag
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

Re: CC's: Do people step on a dollar just to pick up a quarter?

@degs138 wrote:
Since all I eat is fresh food I shop 2-3x per week at the grocery store. I don't like to freeze anything, I also like prime beef. It's expensive but it's what I like. I'll take 6% off using my local lunds and fish market that had daily flown in fish. If you like eating food out of a can or box, all the power to you, go Sam's

The irony of all this is that people laud taking advantage of the 5% restaurant category on Freedom or something, but they are spending FAR more for the same product in a restaurant, but no one goes around judging anyone for that. Want to buy quality produce and meats where you have an excellent selection of high-quality choices, oh, you're stepping on dollars to pick up quarters. These forums just crack me up sometimes.

Anyone educated enough to be thinking about their FICO scores and capable of finding these forums is also clearly capable of finding good information on purchase options for food and supplies if they wish to. I've been judged on these forums for my grocery/supplies spend, which averages around $1k+ per month. I'm fully capable of making informed decisions, and that is what it costs me to purchase the products I CHOOSE to purchase for my family. Could I save some money buying other ways or other products? Yes, absolutely. However, in life it often isn't as simple as making a choice based on one criterion. I have to balance my choices based on finances and TIME, and sometimes time (and therefore convenience) is the winner when all the criteria are considered and weighed. If I can save a bit with rewards while doing what I would be doing anyways, why in the world would I not do that?!

Message 41 of 81
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Anytime threads like this are created, people tend to get kind of heated and take it personally, I guess because they feel their spending choices are being attacked. But I don't think that was OP's intention; just creating a discussion. Of course, everyone here is an adult, and needs to take the information they have and make the best choices for their situation, which only they can determine. But I don't think there's any harm in a discussion. People need to try not to take these things too personally and just try to relax a little. Smiley Happy

Message 42 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since its a CC forum the main theme is how to use them better but yes saving money before the swipe is something easy to get fuzzy on. Ibotta is a good double dipping app to use in conjunction with paper and digital coupons. Great for booze lol
Message 43 of 81
Credit_hawk
Established Contributor

@degs138 wrote:
Since all I eat is fresh food I shop 2-3x per week at the grocery store. I don't like to freeze anything, I also like prime beef. It's expensive but it's what I like. I'll take 6% off using my local lunds and fish market that had daily flown in fish. If you like eating food out of a can or box, all the power to you, go Sam's

Never heard of Lunds. What's that? Do you live in the northeast? I don't think we have a Lunds here. But we have plenty of markets downtown by the docks. That's about as fresh as it gets I'd assume. 

FICO- Experian: 797, TransUnion: 781, Equifax: 804 (Updated Monthly)
Message 44 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do my regular shopping at our grocery store, and I don't shop at warehouse clubs at all. For people looking for good pricing, try a Walmart Neighborhood Market.

Their prices beat warehouse clubs from what my neighbors are telling me. I've had more than one neighbor cancel a warehouse club membership because they saved more at the Neighborhood Market -  and it was small and uncrowded. Smiley Happy

I really never go in a regular Walmart store (or warehouse clubs) because they can be reminiscent of the zoo at times. Try a Walmart Neighborhood Market if you have not been to one. The Neighborhood Market concept is totally different and they're different than regular Walmart. Small, personal, clean, many of them in suburbs but also in urban areas, and never crowded.

No weird people inside, either - well-dressed people, homemakers, and never crowded is what I noticed.

There are about 700 of these around the country, in 31 states.

I do my regular shopping at a grocery store, but stop in the Walmart Neighborhood Market if I happen to be driving by and need a few things, or just cash. Smiley Happy

cs_neighborhoodmarket01.jpg

90.jpeg

walmart1.jpg

d4s_walmart071011a_182482a_8col.jpg

CapGatewayWalMart.jpg

mcshane.jpg

Message 45 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

Neighborhood markets are great.

Tip: you use Walmart ship-to-store for any other item it can be shipped to a neighborhood market as well. I'm (un)fortunate to live in strong Walmart shadow. If the neighborhood market is much closer to your house you can have a television ship to your grocery store instead of the zoos as you wish.
Message 46 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Neighborhood markets are great.

Tip: you use Walmart ship-to-store for any other item it can be shipped to a neighborhood market as well.  If the neighborhood market is much closer to your house you can have a television ship to your grocery store.

I did not know that, fordguy, that is good to know!

Message 47 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah it was crazy I bought my daughter a bicycle and it came up with an address that I knew was not Walmart and then it dawned on me it was the neighborhood market in my mom's town.
Message 48 of 81
Credit_hawk
Established Contributor

Walmart markets don't exist in the northeast. 

FICO- Experian: 797, TransUnion: 781, Equifax: 804 (Updated Monthly)
Message 49 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with RedPat. I despise going to big box stores like Home Depot etc because of the real lack of service! 

Message 50 of 81
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.