Did you mean: 

CC's not having phone apps?

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: CC's not having phone apps?

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
@Anonymous... where did your goal cards a USB Cash+ and UMB Bank cards go? Inquiring minds want to know?

I can’t bring myself to garden for them. It makes more sense to take SUB offers than garden for these cards. The US Bank card with its current categories would earn me $48 more than my BBVA card for the year and the UMB card would earn me 1% more on groceries than my current setup with the SavorOne. A single SUB from a lender that doesn’t want to force me to not get new credit would cover more than a year of maximum rewards from both of them. 

That’s not to say if I do manage to fit the criteria that I won’t apply or that when my profile improves I won’t throw an HP at the apps anyway but as it stands right now, I am not willing to garden for a year. It’s not realistic to believe I would do so when my BK falls next year and I’m going to be at that 760+ mark. 

I get what you're saying - the marginal rewards from adding more and more cards aren't much. That said, you will hit a will with SUBs eventually, especially with all the various anti churn rules out there.  Beyond that, you don't want to appear to be desperately seeking credit. So even if a year is too long to garden, I would give it 6 months regardless of your goal cards, just to let all your new accounts cool down. You don't want shutdowns/CLDs/etc especially as the credit enviornment tightens.

Message 21 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
@Anonymous... where did your goal cards a USB Cash+ and UMB Bank cards go? Inquiring minds want to know?

I can’t bring myself to garden for them. It makes more sense to take SUB offers than garden for these cards. The US Bank card with its current categories would earn me $48 more than my BBVA card for the year and the UMB card would earn me 1% more on groceries than my current setup with the SavorOne. A single SUB from a lender that doesn’t want to force me to not get new credit would cover more than a year of maximum rewards from both of them. 

That’s not to say if I do manage to fit the criteria that I won’t apply or that when my profile improves I won’t throw an HP at the apps anyway but as it stands right now, I am not willing to garden for a year. It’s not realistic to believe I would do so when my BK falls next year and I’m going to be at that 760+ mark. 

I get what you're saying - the marginal rewards from adding more and more cards aren't much. That said, you will hit a will with SUBs eventually, especially with all the various anti churn rules out there.  Beyond that, you don't want to appear to be desperately seeking credit. So even if a year is too long to garden, I would give it 6 months regardless of your goal cards, just to let all your new accounts cool down. You don't want shutdowns/CLDs/etc especially as the credit enviornment tightens.

I don’t really have plans for any other apps until I get my current debt load paid off unless Disco drops the APR on my prequal as my score goes up which I would take as a better sign of a higher SL than the current 24.99% prequal. If that happens I’ll use the Amazon $75 referral link to get an IT Miles and then throw everything on that for the next year to max out the 3%. 

With my BK falling off next year, my profile is going to look more attractive to other lenders and maybe I can get some exposure elsewhere so I don’t have to worry about the fact that Sync makes up a third of my credit.  

Message 22 of 25
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@HeavenOhio wrote:

Right. You need an app to generate notifications. I want to be notified for each and every transaction, and I refuse to apply for any new cards that won't do that for me.

Interesting.   Not a requirement for me at all.   How many transactions do you do?   I would get way too many notifications.   And what use is the info?   If it's a fraudulent transaction, I dispute it soon enough anyway.

I'm probably making between zero and ten transactions in a day. Because the notification is basically instant, it's not a distraction. It'd be goofy if it routinely came later on.

I like the notifications because they make me a participant in the fraud prevention process. Most significantly, notifications should keep me from finding out that my card has been shut down when I'm in the process of trying to use it.

One thing that's especially valuable is that they'll catch those $1 temporary authorizations that might disappear from my online account in a few minutes. Without the notification, I'd have no idea that the transaction occurred.

Less significant but still handy is that I'll know if someone happened to run my card twice.

A bonus benefit is that once I'm home after buying a bunch of stuff, I can review my notifications to see what I spent. That's a little less effort than checking apps and websites.

Message 23 of 25
Aim_High
Super Contributor

I use mobile apps more and more, it seems.

It bugs me when a card doesn't offer that.

Adding the login page to your home screen just isn't the same as app functionality.

Website functionality is important to me too.

I use both the app and website.  But since I travel, the apps are very convenient.

It concerns me when I read reviews about a card that has limited or funky web interface or apps.

I don't use the instant nofications.  I would also find that annoying.

I check my apps often (especially if I am using the cards).

With facial recognition login, opening the apps is quick and easy.

I do a lot through my card/bank apps whether it is monitoring transactions, paying balances, transferring money, linking to credit score updates, etc. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 24 of 25
zerofire
Valued Contributor

I find that loading all the apps for all of my lenders to be a nightmare. My Samsung Galaxy S5 was never built with to deal with such bloated software. It only has 16GB and 8-10GB usable for apps that do not go to microSD card (Most of them). With the Chase app at 500MB(0.5GB) alone that is not that much space.

Lastly if all of the apps did notifications it would overload the phone as there is no way I could keep up in clearing them. I sometimes make a number of transactions in the same hour. I do want to live my life but spending it clearing a stream of notifications and rebooting is not it.

I prefer to load up the website for my card whenever I need to see something about the account. It allows me all of the features available even if I do not need them. Also lets my phone keep only what I absolutely need. I think it depends on a persons management style.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.