Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC to paid off Store Card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CC to paid off Store Card?

Had anyone ever paid off their store card with credit card before? I am thinking to do this, I have KAY jeweler store card that i owe 2000 out of $4000 credit limit.  Once my chase freedom get here I want to use my chase card 12,500$ credit limit to paid off the 2000$ KAY card.

KAY card have really high interest APR and Chase have 0%...plus it will reduce my utilization ratio.  is this good ideas? have anyone tried this?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: CC to paid off Store Card?

I'm assuming you mean pay by means of a BT? Yes that's definitely a good idea. Saves money on interest and you won't be at 50% UTIL on the individual card. You would only be using 16% of the freedom's CL which will help raise scores too.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 16
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Just keep in mind there's usually a 3% BT fee, so consider whether those $60 you have to pay are worth it.

Penfed Gold Visa Card

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks and that's exactly what i was thiking and wanted to do.

on a side note what is BT? Im assuming its mean Balance Transfer?  I never done any BT before and how would that work?  I wasnt thinking about BT, I was thinking about using my Chase Freedom to paid off the KAY card instead of BT.  However If i cant do that my other option would be BT. Like I have mention above can you please tell me how BT work? I never done it, can you give me instruction and direction please.

Thanks in Advance.

Message 4 of 16
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Yea I think BT (Balance Transfer, yes) would be your only option as I don't believe there's a way to pay directly with your card. It gives the same end result, anyway. But as far as the steps, well you would login to your chase account and go to balance transfers and then put in the Kay's Account number and the amount you want to pay them and chase does the rest. Also bear in mind that BTs can take up to 3 weeks to fully process, so be sure to still make at least the minimum payment to Kay's in the meantime.

Penfed Gold Visa Card

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 5 of 16
bk510
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Had anyone ever paid off their store card with credit card before? I am thinking to do this, I have KAY jeweler store card that i owe 2000 out of $4000 credit limit.  Once my chase freedom get here I want to use my chase card 12,500$ credit limit to paid off the 2000$ KAY card.

KAY card have really high interest APR and Chase have 0%...plus it will reduce my utilization ratio.  is this good ideas? have anyone tried this?

I just BTed Wally and Amazon Store card to my QS....no issues.

photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo Venture One_zpsigvttrlz.jpg photo Sony Visa_zpsxoradr1b.jpg photo USC Reward_zpslcvjfxmq.jpg photo Penfed Promise_zpsdg1y2dw2.png photo NasaFcu_zpswac3zwcu.jpg photo America_zpsuwx8rzdm.jpg photo LA-Kings-card_zpslbkyeqsz.png photo Barclay_zpslqv3i4tl.jpg photo BBVA_zpsqrhh7omh.jpg
 photo nfcu debit card_zpsprkh98jw.png photo nfcu visa siggy_zps0gjgyxje.png/ photo nfcu goReward card_zpsixhh1qcp.jpg photo sdfcu platinum card_zpspilihdiv.png  photo penfed reward cash_zpsyckxjc7y.png photo alliant visa_zpsaf4udfx0.jpg photo Citi Secured_zpsypzxi0jm.png photo fnbo platinum_zpsxfub6esb.png photo marvel-credit-card_zpsfkvc3ux5.png photo golden 1 CU_zpslhgxynjv.pngBurned AECitiChase
Message 6 of 16
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

You cannot just use a credit card to pay off a store card.

What you need to do is balance transfer. What balance transfer does is have another lender assumes the debt you owed to original lender.

In your case you give Chase the account number of that Kay card and Chase will pay off the Kay card. Then instead of you owe Kay you now owe Chase. If you never done it before just call the number at the back of your Chase card and let the representative take care of it. Big warning with balance transfer, you will pay interests on new purchases because by doing balance transfer you essentially waive grace period. Though I believe with Chase there is a feature called Blueprint that allows you remain interest free on those purchases.

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply guys...I just got off the phone with KAY and i was told I can paid off the balance with any bank or credit card.  Just simply call the 1-800 number or/and go to local KAY store and paid it off with your credit card.  This way I have dont have to do the BT and pay for the fee 3%.  Thanks for the tips about the BT, learn something new today.

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Because its a store card not a store credit card so I were able to paid it off with my credit card.  Thats what KAY Rep told me.  Ill find out exact answer once i visit my local KAY Jeweler store.

Message 9 of 16
bk510
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Because its a store card not a store credit card so I were able to paid it off with my credit card.  Thats what KAY Rep told me.  Ill find out exact answer once i visit my local KAY Jeweler store.

That's interesting.....good luck anyways.

photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo Venture One_zpsigvttrlz.jpg photo Sony Visa_zpsxoradr1b.jpg photo USC Reward_zpslcvjfxmq.jpg photo Penfed Promise_zpsdg1y2dw2.png photo NasaFcu_zpswac3zwcu.jpg photo America_zpsuwx8rzdm.jpg photo LA-Kings-card_zpslbkyeqsz.png photo Barclay_zpslqv3i4tl.jpg photo BBVA_zpsqrhh7omh.jpg
 photo nfcu debit card_zpsprkh98jw.png photo nfcu visa siggy_zps0gjgyxje.png/ photo nfcu goReward card_zpsixhh1qcp.jpg photo sdfcu platinum card_zpspilihdiv.png  photo penfed reward cash_zpsyckxjc7y.png photo alliant visa_zpsaf4udfx0.jpg photo Citi Secured_zpsypzxi0jm.png photo fnbo platinum_zpsxfub6esb.png photo marvel-credit-card_zpsfkvc3ux5.png photo golden 1 CU_zpslhgxynjv.pngBurned AECitiChase
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.