cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CELL PHONE PROTECTION - Credit Card Perks - Chase Ink BP (current) vs UBER vs Wells Fargo

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CELL PHONE PROTECTION - Credit Card Perks - Chase Ink BP (current) vs UBER vs Wells Fargo

Ok, so another perk of UBER Visa I was looking at: Cell phone protection.

Currently hold Ink Business Preferred. $95AF, $600 protection x 3 times each year and $100 deductible.

VS - UBER (which also has 4% on dining and $0 AF) $600 protection x 2 times each year with only $25 deductible.

But on the Ink, you get 3pts/$1 spent on Cell bill (or 5pts/$1 on the Ink Cash)

For less points but no fee there is the UBER card...

Oy vey! Thoughts?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CELL PHONE PROTECTION - Credit Card Perks - Chase Ink BP (current) vs UBER vs Wells Fargo

I moved my cell phone bill to my NFCU Flagship for 2% CB, $250 Cell Phone Protection with $50 deductible. The Uber Visa only get 1% CB on cell phone bill, losing $2.40 per month. I haven't drop a cell phone in 20 years, so I will take my chances. Smiley Very Happy 

Message 2 of 9
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: CELL PHONE PROTECTION - Credit Card Perks - Chase Ink BP (current) vs UBER vs Wells Fargo

I presently use CIP for the insurance. Just something to consider for me at least since I don’t value UR at 1 cpp. So 3x more or less would equal 4.5x in my calculations. If you want to forego the insurance on your phones than 5x ink cash would make sense. There is no AF on that so that could be quite valuable. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mongstradamus wrote:

I presently use CIP for the insurance. Just something to consider for me at least since I don’t value UR at 1 cpp. So 3x more or less would equal 4.5x in my calculations. If you want to forego the insurance on your phones than 5x ink cash would make sense. There is no AF on that so that could be quite valuable. 

Yeah, I've thought a lot about getting the Ink Cash for that 5% bonus on ALL INTERNET & CELL PHONE bills, then eventually closing the Ink Preferred.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I moved my cell phone bill to my NFCU Flagship for 2% CB, $250 Cell Phone Protection with $50 deductible. The Uber Visa only get 1% CB on cell phone bill, losing $2.40 per month. I haven't drop a cell phone in 20 years, so I will take my chances. Smiley Very Happy 

I have mine on the Flagship as well. Wish the protection was higher in the age of smartphones. I have never damaged one either but it wouldn't cover much. Some is better than nothing.

Message 5 of 9
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

I’ve never dropped or broken my phone, but there are 10 people on my plan, so I’m not risking it. I also like the $25 deductible with the Uber/WF/USB Plat, but with nearly $500 in cell phone/insurance per month, it’s hard to give up 1500 UR per month (18000/year) for a small chance at saving $75. However, if I had a smaller bill, I’d definitely consider moving that bill over to maybe a WF card.

[2/2019]
Message 6 of 9
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

I have a ZTE phone which I got for free from BoostMobile. The case cost $30

Insurance is not a concern for me.

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Meanmchine wrote:

Least relevant comment in history. Thanks for not filtering that thought.

Message 8 of 9
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Meanmchine wrote:

Least relevant comment in history. Thanks for not filtering that thought.

The bill isn't in my name, so the CC benefit isn't an option for me.

That said, I think a good case will do more to help than the Barclays claims department.

I'm happy to take 60k AA miles for $95, but I'd never put anything of significance on a Barclays product.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.