cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CFF or Venture X for my next card (~2-3 months from now)? Or both on the same day?

tag
jaybird14

CFF or Venture X for my next card (~2-3 months from now)? Or both on the same day?

Hi all,

While 2022 hasn't quite closed out yet, I'm already thinking about my 2023 plans and what cards I want to do next. I'm in the position of having recently been approved for CSP and when my SUB period is up (also within the recommended velocity for Chase cards it seems), I have two options I'm thinking about for the "next" card.

• CFF, either just as the grocery bonus expires or sometime early/mid Q1 towards the tail end of my SUB period
  • Venture X, when my SUB period is up for CSP.

I'm currently sitting at 4/24 after the CSP (3/24 if you exclude an AU in my app period). I can easily meet the CFF SUB requirement with regular spend and somewhat easily meet the Venture X with regular spend (basically putting my rent on the card for a month or two).

Motivations for the cards vary since they are so different, with my motivation for the CFF being to fill out the Chase Trifecta for bonus spend + to have a MC in the wallet, while my motivation for Venture X is mostly for lounge access + for that SUB for some planned travel in the new year. 

I do plan on having the CFF either way, so I guess the question comes down to timing: would it make sense to fill out the Chase Trifecta with CFF first, or should I burn that 5/24 slot for Venture X and hope Chase will accept a recon to bring me under 5/24 when I try for CFF later? Or should I try and apply for both on the same day?

My overall profile (as of late December 2022)

EX 727/EQ 721/TU 731

Amex BCE - 01/2018 - 6k SL - 0% utilization
Amex Hilton - 07/2018 - 1k SL - 0% utilization
Amex Delta Blue - 12/2019 - 8k SL - 20% utilization
BofA Travel Rewards - 01/2018 - 2k SL - 0% utilization
Amazon Store card - 03/2022 - 1.5k SL - 1% utilization
Chase Freedom Unlimited - 09/2022 - 7k SL - 4% utilization
Chase Sapphire Preferred - 12/2022 - 12.8k SL - 0% utilization

I should be able to bring down the utilization on that Amex Delta a fair bit before my next app and keep most of the utilization confined to CSP on account of the SUB.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
StephenH
Regular Contributor

Re: CFF or Venture X for my next card (~2-3 months from now)? Or both on the same day?

CFF seem to have the ability to make an immediate impact in your current situation. I personally would get chase apps out of the way within 5/24 and not to mention the added benefit of having the chase trifecta.

You can get the venture X 6 months after CFF. Go with chase! Also if you're strictly looking for some lounge access there are cards with lower annual fee and the VX bonus will last or could get bigger. I personally don't think it's sustainable at $395 w/ everything they plan on offering going forward

Bankruptcy Chapter 7 DC 03/2021
IIB: Chase CSR 10K, Amex BCP 20K, Disco It 9K, Citi DC 3K

Cap One Plat. 04/2021 3K SL ---> CLI 3.3K ---> PC Venture One ---> PC QS ---> PC Savor One
Cap One QS1 08/2021 3K SL ---> CLI 5.5K ---> PC QS (no AF) ---> PC Venture ---> PC QS
Penfed PCR 12/2022 12.5K SL

Installment Loan 08/2021 ( PIF)
Student Loan 09/2014 10K remaining

As of 04/2024:
FICO 8: 707 EX, 701 EQ, 703 TU
Message 2 of 4
citymunky
Established Contributor

Re: CFF or Venture X for my next card (~2-3 months from now)? Or both on the same day?

Get the Chase Freedom Flex 1st to fill that 5th spot within 24 months and not worry about it anymore. Then, a few months down the line app for Venture X since Cap1 is not as picky with previous accounts opened in the last 2 years.

Rebuilding since 2021

Closed CCs
USAA (Jul 2019| Settled CO), Jasper $1 CL (Jul21-Jul22), Sable $250CL{Secured} (Jan22-Jun23), CreditOne Platinum $750CL (Jul21-Aug23), Prosper $1.9K CL (Jan22-Apr24)

Starting FICO 8 Scores:
Current FICO 8 Scores:

Message 3 of 4
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@citymunky wrote:

Get the Chase Freedom Flex 1st to fill that 5th spot within 24 months and not worry about it anymore. Then, a few months down the line app for Venture X since Cap1 is not as picky with previous accounts opened in the last 2 years.

If you want both, then this.    But, (my current campaign), be clear why you want the Chase Trifecta.   It's not a magic thing!  Do you have a valuable UR redemption strategy.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.