Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CFU vs CFF underwriting standards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CFU vs CFF underwriting standards?

Does anyone know if they're the same?

I'm trying to help out a 19 year old thicken their file.  She's currently got a local CU card and a Best Buy Visa, had both about a year.  She checked Discover's prequal and appears good on that front.  When checking Chase prequals, the CFU comes up, but not the CFF where the CFF may be the better choice.  The only Fico score I've got for her is 729 (EX8) from creditscorecard.  Any opinions on a CFF app verses the CFU? 

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: CFU vs CFF underwriting standards?

I'm presuming without checking the datapoints in the approval forums that the UW for both the CFU and CF are more or less the same. Considering her EX score I think she should good to apply for either card for an approval

Message 2 of 15
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

I don't know that we could know w/o being able to peer behind the scenes at Chase's UW, but since they're in the same product family and product tier, I'd expect they would be.  That the referral bonus they advertise w/ my CFU applies if the person you refer is approved for either the CFF or CFU also might indicate that they are.

Message 3 of 15
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I believe underwriting standards are identical but banks like to peddle certain cards. From their point of view CFU is probably a better choice since they are paying a whole lot less compared to CFF (capped 5% plus two uncapped 3% categories).

I'd de advertising CFU myself if I was a lender. 

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Both have same APR range and minimum SL, so I'd think the same UW.

She might want to try checking out if she has any in-branch pre-approved offers. Those may differ from what you see online.

Or maybe apply online thru the pre-qual CFU then PC to CFF if it benefits her later.

Of course she could cold-app for the CFF with no pre-qual and see if that works.. for science!

Message 5 of 15
Credit12Fico
Established Contributor

And from what I understand, you can request the 5% groceries offer in branch through early March even though it's no longer on the Chase website. T

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the feedback.

Anyone know if a PC from CFU to CFF is an option and if so what the "rules" are... such as how long you have to have the account in place etc.

Message 7 of 15
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, it is possible.  If she were to apply for CFU, I'd wait until the SUB activity was completed then PC.  

Message 8 of 15
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

Chase doesn't require a year open before PC'ing?

Message 9 of 15
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Slabenstein wrote:

Chase doesn't require a year open before PC'ing?

Not on some core CCs, such as switching from SLATE to CF or CF to CFU, for instance.  It really depends on the account being eligible.  The AF cards would, of course, have their restrictions due to the CARD ACT, such as going from CSP to CSR, as an example.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.