Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CHASE SLATE OR FREEDOM?

tag
mgeorges
Valued Member

CHASE SLATE OR FREEDOM?

I WAS WONDERING WHAT KIND OF SCORE DO YOU NEED TO GET APPROVED FOR THE CHASE SLATE OR FREEDOM?

THANKS

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
n777ua
Established Contributor

Re: CHASE SLATE OR FREEDOM?

Got my slate at 705.

About $215,000 total credit among 11 cards
Message 2 of 20
doublespaces
Frequent Contributor

I have a slate... Can't remember my score when I got it, perhaps high 600's or barely 700?

Starting: EQ: 490 TU: ??? EX: ???
Current: EQ: 717 TU: 757 EX: 736 (lender)
Goal: 800+
=============
Amex: Zync, Gold Delta
Discover More
Chase Slate
Discover More
Message 3 of 20
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Chase pulled TU for me in NY which I believe was at least 730 at the time.  I was denied but got it on a recon (Freedom). 

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 20
MrShush
Valued Contributor

I got both last month with a TU around 765. Freedom is a Signature.
Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got Freedom with a 746. I don't have Slate. Chase always pulls either EQ or EX for me. I wish they would pull TU. I have only 1 inquiry on TU. Others have been approved with lower scores. 

There is  lack of a rewards program with Slate. Typically, reward cards, such as Freedom, are a little more difficult to get. The reward cards also can typically have higher interest rates. Reward cards work best if you plan to pay  in full every month to avoid the interest. In general, Chase can be a little more stringent when handing out cards. My daughter cannot get a Chase card yet because she does not have enough credit history. 

If you should get denied, always call for a recon. There are many success stories with Chase recons. I am one of them for my INK and Sapphire.

I personally prefer the Freedom over Slate because of the rewards. It is one of the better reward cards out there. Others may prefer Slate if they are going to carry a balance. 

Chase kills me because they have such great card offerings. LOL

Did you check out whogavemecredit.com? You can see who was approved for each card based on scores, income, etc.

Message 6 of 20
SevenNEW
Established Contributor

Got my Freedom a month ago with scores in the mid 700s, no inq's, and a 3 year AAoA.

SevenNEW, Garden Nerd - In the Garden until 2015!
4.2K 10K 24.6K
Message 7 of 20
mgeorges
Valued Member

Thank you for all your responses...

I have $4700 in debt which will be paid off at the end of this month and I have 3 inquirys on my profile 2 of which I was approved and got a credit card out of them...

How long do you guys think i should wait to apply?

Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

3 is not a lot of INQ in my opinion.

I don't  know what your credit limits are. Divide $4700 by your TOTAL credit limits on all cards. This will give you your utility percentage. If your UTIL is high, you may want to wait until you pay it down.

Do you know your average age of accounts? 

I know Chase wants to see a minimum 1 year history, preferably 2.

Message 9 of 20
clocktick
Valued Contributor

If you're about to pay off $4700 in debt within a month then I would definitely wait until then.  You may want to keep a small, under 9%, balance reporting (but pay no interest!) before you apply too.  I think it was Chase, but recently I read a post on here someone being denied for having no credit card balances!

Edited to add:  What advantages does the Slate card have?  I was always under the impression it was sort of a rebuilder card?  I haven't read about it in a while though.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.