Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CITI Automatic CLI?

tag
fused
Moderator Emeritus

CITI Automatic CLI?

I'm familiar with how CITI handles CLIs when card holders request one but what about automatic CLIs without requesting one. Has anyone gotten one this way? Please share your experience and include if you can how long you had the card before they gave you an auto CLI, the amount and if you knew your scores at the time you received your CLI.

Message Edited by fused on 11-03-2007 08:35 AM
Message 1 of 44
43 REPLIES 43
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: CITI Automatic CLI?

So are my suspicions correct, CITI doesn't do this???
Message 2 of 44
andyaycw
Frequent Contributor

I have gotten auto CLIs from Citi. I got my first two student cards from Citi in August 2006. After 6 months of low utilization and PIF on time, they increased me from $1200 on one of the cards to $2200. 3 months later they gave me another CLI, up to $3200.

The same went for my other student card that I had with them. After 6 months, they CLI'd me from $1000 to $1800. 5 months later they gave me another $1000 up to a total CLI of $2800.

I used one of the cards much more frequently than the other, which might explain the fact that I had to wait 5 months as opposed to 3 months for the second CLI.

Starting Score: EQ 773, TU 766
Current Score (2/25/2017): EX 813, EQ 823, TU 818
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

I work for Citi.  They do auto CLI's on accts.  But it seems mostly on PIF's with good scores.
Message 4 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

I accepted a preapproved offer from Citibank for a Citi Dividend Platinum Select MC in the last half of June, 2006.  Sometime between August 14, 2007 and August 31, 2007 they automatically increased my credit limit by $1000.  So, it took about 14 months after the account was opened.  My FICOs were EQ 804/TU 806/EX 839 at the time of the increase.  Citibank reviews only my Equifax score (I'm in Florida). 
In yesterday's (11/02) mail, I received a Citi balance transfer offer (0% APR until May 1, 2008 OR 3.99% APR until transferred balances are paid in full) .  The offer states that "your credit line may increase by up to $4200 if you take advantage of this special offer."  I guess if I want to max out my card on a balance transfer, they'll give me an extra $4200. 

Message 5 of 44
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I work for Citi. They do auto CLI's on accts. But it seems mostly on PIF's with good scores.

Can you confirm the fact that Citi likes to see a lot of usage on their cards as it pertains to getting CLI's on accounts? Some CCC's give out increases to some people who rarely use their cards at all or so I'm told.
Message 6 of 44
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Good feedback! I apologize for being a dumb mod but CITI has hardly been a crowd pleaser. I cannot get my way with them, even with a clean credit history and high scores. If they don't match my lowest CL by 02/08, I will slam the door on their face. I have read posts by those with scores well below mine who have HUGE CLs and lower APRs with some baddies on their reports, yet I get no luv with CITI. 
Message 7 of 44
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Kick it to the curb, as ragcajun would say. Hey, it's like a love interest--if they aren't gonna love you, they aren't gonna love you. Life's too short to keep trying to show them the error of their ways.

Anyway, I know you're talking about automatic CLI's for people with (ahem) respectable credit profiles and well-established accounts, but as smallfry mentioned, they seem to want to see lots of activity, approaching the current CL. That's what the rep told me when I tried to get my CL raised enough to buy an entire refrigerator, as opposed to a couple of ice cube trays. My bad for being responsible, and keeping my balance low, and paying more than once a month. He said that if they don't think you need and will use the increased credit, it isn't coming.

They're a different kind of duck in CCC land, it seems.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 44
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Fine then, I will use my CITI card to finance weekly kegger and Jack parties. Chug, chug, chug...Smiley Tongue
Message 9 of 44
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Goodness, those must be some parties, if four of them a month will approach your CL! Smiley Very Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.