cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CITI BANK CREDIT CARD ..... Blacklisted?

tag
plasticcards
New Contributor

CITI BANK CREDIT CARD ..... Blacklisted?

So I had a AA credit card maybe 8 years ago. However I was very young and stupid. It got sent to collections etc... It's been over 6 or 7 years from that. I apply for a CITI card will I be blacklisted because of what happened? Or will they approve me now that I have good credit? 

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: CITI BANK CREDIT CARD ..... Blacklisted?

Its going to be a YMMV situation. Some people were able to get off the blacklist after some time has passed, but some continue to be blacklisted even though its been more than 2 decades.

The only way to really know is to try. Sometimes they will not pull an inquiry if you are blacklisted, but sometimes they would still go ahead and pull inquiries even when its a guaranteed denial.

No way to really tell.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 17
SSA_2013
Frequent Contributor

Citi is known to blacklist users. However, you will never know until you apply. Some have gotten back in even with Amex, Chase, etc. So if you don't mind the hard pull go ahead and apply. The best case is you are let back in. Worst case is they pulled your credit and denied (at least you will know if the negative has you blacklisted), the middle ground is you apply...they deny you...but they don't pull a report because the previous negative. Keep us posted!

Message 3 of 17
plasticcards
New Contributor

WOW!!! ! last thing I forgot to mention. I just got an AMEX blue approved couple days ago. If I apply for Citi will Amex be upset? lol I mean I know they dont like when people apply for credt. I do not want to get a Financial Review or anything. What do you guys think ?

Message 4 of 17
boomersooner02000
Valued Member

I just recently we through this exact same thing. For years I had a Sears Citi Mastercard and by my own stupidity it was charged off and sent to collections for around $700 or so. So when I found out I paid the collection agency and did a PFD. I then contacted Citi executive customer service by writing them a letter and included a copy of the letter from the collection agency stating it was paid and the tradeline had been removed. Citi was nice enough to remove their negative  tradeline from my reports as well. This was at least 5 years ago if not 6.

Last week I applied for the Citi Bank AAdvantage Visa and was told to call in. I called they did some verification things and I was told I was denied. I received the denial via email the following day and it stated " Your existing account(s) was not maintained in a satisfactory manner. This includes all of your accounts issued by Citibank, N.A. such as Visa, MasterCard, store cards, or gas cards." They pulled both Experian and my Equifax reports.

So I then called up their executive customer service and spoke to a nice lady by the name of Tammy. Told her what the letter stated and explained that the issue had been a mistake. I asked her if she could have someone review it for reconsideration and she said she would. One day later I received the phone call from her and she said I had been approved and to expet my card within 7 days. I got the card last Saturday.

If you get denied definitely call their executive customer service team and request reconsideration. They've been very helpful for me.

Message 5 of 17
plasticcards
New Contributor

Ya, So I applied and got DENEIED Smiley Sad  I called the executive customer service team. The ysaid I was denied because of too many inquiries. IHowever I explained that, that was due to the purchase of a car couple weeks ago and wanted to shop around for the best rate. She said she would pass my application for reconsideration and she will call me within 24-48 hours. Hopefully with good news!

Message 6 of 17
bribro
Valued Contributor

Good luck OP!

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 7 of 17
Mopar_Jones
Contributor

How much was it? And can you afford to pay it now? I know that if you tell them you will pay the previous debt, they will remove you from the black list and probably give you a card if your credit would qualify otherwise..

Message 8 of 17
ltspongebob
Valued Member

I would guess that it depends. I burned a wells fargo student credit card back in college (1996). Didn't bother apply for another card from them until 2007; got a instant approval for $4000. I kept my checking and savings with them since 1990, so maybe thats what it was...
FICO '08=764
Message 9 of 17
Mopar_Jones
Contributor

Yeah.. 11 years.

Funny thing though. When I declared bk and included my BoA credit cards, they closed out my bank accounts too and send me a cashiers check for the balance in them. 6 years later I had to go in there and beg them to let me open a bank account. I was moving all my brokerage accounts over to Merrill.. and since BoA and Merrill are the same now, I had no choice but to beg. I burned BoA pretty bad though, probably $20k worth of unsecured debt.. my bk is still reporting, and I have a credit card with them already. It's a baby limit of $7,500.. I don't use it.. but it's nice to know that even with BoA, I wasn't totally burned.. haha

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.