Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CITI Closed my Secured Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CITI Closed my Secured Card

So, I'm a little perplexed and pissed. I have an Auto Pay on all cards in case I forget to pay it off one month somehow. On May 15th, I paid the balance on CITI Secured Diamond card. This brought my balance to $0. 
Then, they tried my auto payment, which kicked back for insufficient funds, because I had not transferred more over from savings yet, but with a Zero balance, it didn't cross my mind. 
I paid the balance on full yesterday as well, $100.51.
I went to use it today, and Declined.

I logged in and it's Closed. I called and they said it was closed because of the returned payment. 
mice had this account for 14 months and pay it off monthly. 
Asked for supervisor, with no luck.

Does anyone have an email address at Citi that I can contact that may help? I've improved my credit score over 120 points in the past year, and now this! Ugh!!

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
RSX
Valued Contributor

Re: CITI Closed my Secured Card

that sucks., but the rules on Secured cards seem super strict 

the fact that they processed an Auto Pay on a zero balance is very frustrating

now - you say you have gone up 120 points. - do you still need this card anyway?  are your scores enough to go get a Discover or Cap1 unsecured card?

let us know your total inq and any recent accounts - and your 3 scores

you may have 'lost' something you dont need anymore

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah in hindsight you couidve canceled autopay since you paid off the balance but I understand that it’s frustrating they are making a big deal over a returned payment that wasn’t even necessary. 

Depending on your newly improved scores you could check prequels for Amex or Discover. Capital one another option. Deiending on your current cards now, of course. 

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys. It's just frustrating as hell...

I didn't think the Auto-pay would run on a Zero balance...lesson learned!

I still have a ways to go, as scores were very low following a divorce and then job loss. Highest is Equifax at 627.

I think it's more of a frustration of going over a year and consistently paying it off, and to be only months away from their crazy 18 month graduation, then have the rug pulled out from under me. 

Hopefully someone that has a CITI Secured reads this post, and it protects them from a similar mistake...

Message 4 of 16
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Hi @Anonymous  sorry to hear about your Citi Card closure. It is always good to check manually few times a month on accounts and see where they stand.

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’d definitely try the unsecured capital one. You’d have to go through their credit steps program and then they’ll increase your credit limit. They’re a good lender for rebuilders. 

Discover has a secured card that can graduate in 6-8 months. Typically I’ve seen limits go from $200 to $2000 when the card becomes unsecured. 

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also just got another PFD done yesterday that I'm going to wait and see what my scores do after coming off before I App for anything. I've recently joined a credit union in central Florida as well that I may look into on Secured if needed as I've heard good things about their limits over time. 

Message 7 of 16
dacv01
Regular Contributor

Glad I came across this post, having the citi secured myself. I do not have autopay on any of my bills. ( I know many think this is foolish) but with good reasoning- when I was going through my ID theft I didnt want any penny being deducted without taking note. I have gotten in the habit of checking all my accounts probably 5-10 times a day ( bank, investments, all cards ) I know to some this may seem excessive, but I am always on top of any due dates, transactions and am able to PIF well before date. 

> 5 Inquiries, AAoC 4 years, AoOA 7 years, 11 months as of September 2021
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yikes! This is absolutely insane IMO. 

Your balance was $0, but AutoPay tries to process and causes a returned payment. Yes, you 'could' have turned it off... but come on! I feel like Citi should give you some leeway, especially since you've had the card for so long and have been using it well. 

I wonder if there's a backdoor # for something like this? I want you to have your card back. You're working so hard to improve your credit profile. 

I wish you nothing but the absolute best of luck. HeartHeart

Message 9 of 16
BmoreBull
Established Contributor

Sorry to hear about that. I had the same thing happen with my Cap One secured. I paid it before the due date, the app and website said 0 balance due. I charged $5 for something before the due date and they tried to take that $5 on autopay. Now they have me listed as having a returned payment. 

Starting Fico Scores:November 2019

Current Fico Scores: January 6, 2021
Goal Scores: 700 across all three
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.