cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CITI and USAA burn - How long is their memory?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CITI and USAA burn - How long is their memory?

Anyone know if CITI and USAA ever let you off of the bad list?

Burned both back in 05-06 - major business issues, "lost my shirt," etc.  Wish I had just paid bare minimums... would be better off... but alas, I was scared, backed into a corner, and panicked. 

USAA I know has a LONG LONG memory... but not sure HOW LONG.  Any ideas re CITI?

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: CITI and USAA burn - How long is their memory?

Long memory for both, unfortunately.  No set timeframe if you're on the naughty list.  Was the burn IIB or CO?  And, was it a fairly large sum?

Message 2 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:

Long memory for both, unfortunately.  No set timeframe if you're on the naughty list.  Was the burn IIB or CO?  And, was it a fairly large sum?

Shame on me. Completely forgot to mention that.

NOT IIB - Just a CO.

(EDITED after posting - found an old credit report from 2007)

USAA ~6k

CITI ~12k 

Message 3 of 27
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

Shame on me. Completely forgot to mention that.

NOT IIB - Just a CO.

Both ~6k (each)

No worries, you're fine.  The additional info tends to help the community with data points.

The only thing with both Citi and USAA, if you decide to apply, there will be a HP (even if still blacklisted).

Message 4 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only thing with both Citi and USAA, if you decide to apply, there will be a HP (even if still blacklisted).

Well, at least in their denial letter, they should tell be it was because of previous bad history... so then I'd know.  

USAA, at least, I can "feel out" first by trying to reactivate my membership...... so there's that. I don't really *NEED* USAA, though.  CITI, on the other hand, has the AA card I want.................... or, more specifically, the AA card I WANT BACK! (it's what I lost when i burned them).

Message 5 of 27
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

If you still owe them money, but the collection is just past the SOL, Id be hard pressed to say that you'll be BL for awhile. The only way to find out is to apply.

USAA try to re-activate your membership first, and go from there. You might be BL from their website all together. You'll know because a big red banner with flash on the screen saying that you've cause them a loss , etc...

Citi...same. Apply and see what happens...

Message 6 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can’t speak for USAA but I burned Citi in 2008 for around $16k. I eventually paid it off through wage garnishment but Citi didn’t know that as it was owned by a collection agency by then. My credit was trashed all around so I had to just wait out the 6-7 yrs for clean reports, which I never would have gotten if I hadn’t found MyFICO (thank you!!!!!).

Anyway, I started just throwing apps at the wall in late 2015. Got a few store cards and a CapOne and just let those grow. Citi was my biggest burn and also the one I wanted back in with the most, just to prove a point. My first few apps were denials but the reason was never related to prior history. Then, one night in December of 2016 I went on a crazy app spree that all started because I got an instant approval on the Citi Costco Visa for $4,600!! I was floored. I figured they’d hate me for all eternity. I nearly cried when I got that approval because it had been such a long journey.

I now have a 2nd Citi card and I’ve gotten back in with every other lender I burned. So, their memory isn’t forever, it just takes time & patience. I’d start with an application just to see what happens. That way you’ll know where you stand with them. Good Luck!!
Message 7 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I can’t speak for USAA but I burned Citi in 2008 for around $16k. I eventually paid it off through wage garnishment but Citi didn’t know that as it was owned by a collection agency by then. My credit was trashed all around so I had to just wait out the 6-7 yrs for clean reports, which I never would have gotten if I hadn’t found MyFICO (thank you!!!!!).

Anyway, I started just throwing apps at the wall in late 2015. Got a few store cards and a CapOne and just let those grow. Citi was my biggest burn and also the one I wanted back in with the most, just to prove a point. My first few apps were denials but the reason was never related to prior history. Then, one night in December of 2016 I went on a crazy app spree that all started because I got an instant approval on the Citi Costco Visa for $4,600!! I was floored. I figured they’d hate me for all eternity. I nearly cried when I got that approval because it had been such a long journey.

I now have a 2nd Citi card and I’ve gotten back in with every other lender I burned. So, their memory isn’t forever, it just takes time & patience. I’d start with an application just to see what happens. That way you’ll know where you stand with them. Good Luck!!

Thank you. You’ve given me hope!

Message 8 of 27
800FICOGoal
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
 So, their memory isn’t forever, it just takes time & patience.

I would argue that they never forget. However, they may forgive. 

Rebuild Cards

Goal Cards

Loans
Message 9 of 27
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

We included Citi in my BK 2005. It took 13 years to get back in and they only approved me for the simplicity card , any other cards  I applied for I get denied for previous history with them. DH could only get the Home depot card all others declined for above reasons.

Citi is a weird one.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.