cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CITI is like an elephant (They never forget)

tag
12njoy
Super Contributor

Re: CITI is like an elephant (They never forget)

@enharu,

Thanks

It's really hard to predict.

Even the bank's analysts will be unable to provide you with a definite answer. Banks keep their blacklisting policies under wrap for many reasons, including abuse. There's little to nothing an analyst can do to override and take you off the blacklist either. 

My guess is that it depends to the type of debt you had (approx $4,200/ over 3 cards), amount of money you burned them for, and the time it has been since it happened. Some people get off the blacklist after 1-5 years (1993 BK), but some others continue to be blacklisted even after 2-3 decades.

Paying back the bad debt usually is a good way to get off the blacklist, but its by no means guaranteed. You also have to evaluate whether it's worth repaying them back (it's not worth it really) just for you to have credit card(s) with them again.  I can't blame them for my mistakes.

(Formerly known as: Credit is my hobby/TCL objective)
___________ 12Njoy
FICO - EX 810; EQ 797; TU 804 I'm climbing back to 800+
Message 41 of 52
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I wasn't talking about the aa they took.
Lexie mentioned that it's possibly illegal for them to accept payment after two decades...
and a bk from the op. Is that true or not? Idk.
And even before Citi took AA against, their customer service sucked. Lol
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 42 of 52
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
I wasn't talking about the aa they took.
Lexie mentioned that it's possibly illegal for them to accept payment after two decades...
and a bk from the op. Is that true or not? Idk.
And even before Citi took AA against, their customer service sucked. Lol

While a creditor cannot attempt to collect after a bankruptcy, they can still accept payment even one hundred years after the fact. Bankruptcy just legally excuses the person from having to pay the debt that is owed, it doesn't make debt go away. I know they can't attempt regular collection efforts, but if you apply and ask if you can pay, that would be allowed. The statute of limitations is similar in that a creditor can still attempt to collect many years after it has passed, but they cannot sue the debtor to obtain the money back.

Message 43 of 52
porfidio1

Normally, I agree with that statement. Chase, Amex and Citi don't forget. But my wifi and I filed a Bk7 in 2/2010. I have been working on my scores and credit very hard, and now hover around the 680-700 mark on CK, Quizzle and TU. I realized that y wife's credit wasn't going up, and hers was a mess. Did 4 apps in 1 day for her, got 3 approvals and 1 pending on Friday. Was approved on a best buy card (citi backed) for 2000. Believe me when I tell you, we burned a LOT of big banks in our financial storm (not intentional, we closed our business) 3 Amex cards, 2 chase, providian, citi, 2bofa cards, etc, plus our home thru chase mortgage was foreclosed on. But there is hope. It's not a $5000 visa, but it's a $2000 t.l. For best buy, and citi did a hard pull on her. She has the hardest job in the world, being a full time mom for 2 little ones with no paycheck.
Message 44 of 52
12njoy
Super Contributor

@porfidio1

Congrats.  I, like you two, am battling my way back.  I jus wish I had started strong right after my BK.  I eventually started in 2012 and have made great strides since then.  Most of my good activity has come since July 2013 with Amex, Chase and now Discover.  So when you say all hope is not lost, I believe you 100%.  It's nice to hear stories such as your's.  It gives hope to all on a similiar path.  Thanks for sharing.

___________ 12Njoy
Message 45 of 52
Andy77
Valued Contributor

I think they forget on an individual basis and here is why I say that.  I had a Credit Card with them in 2006...then another with them in 2011 and a personal loan with Citibank...I filed for bk in 2009 and included the credit card from 2011 and the loan from Citibank.

I then opened a secured card with them in 2009 and it because unsecured...SO...I think its on an individual basis with no method to their madness or logic.

I will say this...if you want an IN with Citibank...go with their secured card and put down as much money as you can because once the account is open you cannot increase the CL...use it wisely and it will graduate...then ask for a PC...THERE is your IN with Citi !!

Message 46 of 52
12njoy
Super Contributor

@andy77,

Thanks for info. Did CITI do a hard pull for your secured card? How long did you have to keep secured card before graduating?
___________ 12Njoy
Message 47 of 52
Andy77
Valued Contributor

Yea they do a HP when you apply..but the underwriting is easy...so you should have no problems.  You have to wait 18 months for it to unsecure...but I think it is worth it when they will not approve you for one of their regular cards...

Message 48 of 52
tryingagain62
Contributor

I don't see the secured card on Citi's site. Is it still available?

Message 49 of 52
12njoy
Super Contributor

Thanks Andy.
I think if I decide to try citi, I'll try the unsecured route since they will do the HP anyway. I don't really bed a secured card for 18 months. Everything, for me anyway, rest when Amex in a week. That will determine whether I go after citi then to the garden or go straight to the garden without trying citi. I appreciate your information. It's helpful
___________ 12Njoy
Message 50 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.