cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CITI pulled my CR without informing me?

tag
CBTS
Frequent Contributor

Re: CITI pulled my CR without informing me?

Just an update. I received the unsecured card today in the mail, and it has the same limit that my secured card had, the whole 500 DOLLARS!!! Anyway, I'm going to PC today and also try to do something about the CL, only if they do it using the two HPs that I'm already hit with. I was thinking about PCing it to either the CITI Dividend for $50 cashback or Diamond for 0% interest for 18mos, but PCing voids the intro offers, right? If that is the case, I think I should go with CITI TYP. I do in fact need a card on which I can carry balances in case of emergencies, but I'm never planning on carrying balances on interest! What would you guys say, which card makes sense for me to get?

P.S. Again I can't thank you guys enough for all the information and advice. I don't know what I'd have done if it wasn't for this here, most of my peers are literally clueless about credit, so there wasn't a single person that I could've talked to about this game called credit!

Message 31 of 41
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

I loved the look of the "Classic MC" and would still have it if it wasn't for the AF and no rewards.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 32 of 41
CBTS
Frequent Contributor

One more question. Should I ask for a CLI first or for the PC?

Message 33 of 41
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Ternify, you seem hellbent on staying with Chiti.
Imo, I'd wait til the card reports as unsecured to the CRAs and app for a diff everyday card. Citi will want to HP you AGAIN for a cli and a PC is unlikely to come with any promi stuff i.e. 0% apr or cash bonuses.
Please do not waste your time with them. I apologize for being such a Citi hater, but they really do a disservice to their cardmembers by being hp happy, reward stingy, and completely disorganized as a business.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 34 of 41
CBTS
Frequent Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
Imo, I'd wait til the card reports as unsecured to the CRAs and app for a diff everyday card. Citi will want to HP you AGAIN for a cli and a PC is unlikely to come with any promi stuff i.e. 0% apr or cash bonuses.
Please do not waste your time with them. I apologize for being such a Citi hater, but they really do a disservice to their cardmembers by being hp happy, reward stingy, and completely disorganized as a business.

I'm actually not! They really don't have any attractive cards. I'm just trying to make the best out of the situation that I'm already in. And yes, I spoke with a CSR and she said it will be a HP for a CLI. Also, I can only PC to CITI AAdvantage Bronze card or CITI AAdvantage Silver card, and either one is not even listed on their website. So I'm assuming their reward structure sucks. So all in all, I agree with you wholehartedly on every single point you made by the end of your post. Also, I called TU, and they said the only way to dispute an INQ is to contact the creditor directly via mail, TU won't be able to do it. So I don't know what is going on...

Message 35 of 41
enharu
Super Contributor

I don't think its that bad as young said. The only thing I don't like about citi is their subpar customer service, but everything else is somewhat in line with most other prime banks. Citi does have some good cards as well, including the prestige which can be a better card than the Amex platinum and chase offers, depending on your spending habits. Citi can be very generous with CLs as well. So I don't think its a wise idea to be burning down bridges over some small issues.

Each lender has their own quirks. BofA is even more HP-friendly than citi is. A HP is required for CLI, and its also required when you move CLs across cards. Barclays is too sensitive. And it's easier to get approved for a chase freedom or other prime cards than to get Wells Fargo unsecure their secured cards....etc. the list goes on.

I wouldn't recommend you to do a PC either if that requires a HP. Just apply for another citi card. There's a 5X gas, groceries and drug stores.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 36 of 41
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@enharu wrote:
I don't think its that bad as young said. The only thing I don't like about citi is their subpar customer service, but everything else is somewhat in line with most other prime banks. Citi does have some good cards as well, including the prestige which can be a better card than the Amex platinum and chase offers, depending on your spending habits. Citi can be very generous with CLs as well. So I don't think its a wise idea to be burning down bridges over some small issues.

Each lender has their own quirks. BofA is even more HP-friendly than citi is. A HP is required for CLI, and its also required when you move CLs across cards. Barclays is too sensitive. And it's easier to get approved for a chase freedom or other prime cards than to get Wells Fargo unsecure their secured cards....etc. the list goes on.

I wouldn't recommend you to do a PC either if that requires a HP. Just apply for another citi card. There's a 5X gas, groceries and drug stores.

+1

I concur with enharu.  Everyone's experience will vary with Citi.  I've been with Citi for 20+ years and never had any major issues with them.  Just a few weeks ago I got approved for their Citi TY Preferred CC and that includes 3 other existing products with them.

Message 37 of 41
CBTS
Frequent Contributor

@enharu wrote:

PC in my case doesn't require a HP thankfully, or so the representative said. There's no point in keeping this 'generic' credit card, since it has an AF and no rewards, so I have to get rid of it. My final question is, if I PC it to the Bronze or Silver AAdvantage right now, will CITI ever offer me to upgrade the Bronze card to any Platinum card (Dividend/AAdvantage) or any of the TY cards?

Message 38 of 41
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:

While their rewards aren't the best in the world, they do offer very good cards. Last year they had a 5% on everything for the first six months card and they now have 5% on drugstores, groceries, and gasoline  and no interest for the first year. Of course after the first year these cards aren't worth much, but the promotions are good. They also recently changed the ThankYou Premier to offer 3% on dining purchases, which many cards do not have. The hard inquiries are hit and miss as some people get increaes with soft and some with hard. US Bank, Chase, PNC, Bank of America/FIA, and others also will pull a hard inquiry for a credit limit increase, so they are hardly alone in that regard. I do not know any bank that will attach a promotion to a card that was product changed from another card. If I remember correctly, you spent quite a long time trying to aquire a Citi credit card, so you must have liked them at some point.

Some people also say their customer service is also horrible, but I have never had any issues. I experienced very helpful representatives before I become Citigold and still receive wonderful service now. The only complaint about them is that for so many things on their site you have to enter the debit card number for security reasons. Other than that, they are right up there with Chase, FIA, and PNC in my opinion.

Message 39 of 41
CBTS
Frequent Contributor

So, has anyone ever been offered to upgrade their card by CITI from Bronze level to a higher level card e.g. Dividend Platinum? I just wanna know if I basically wasted the INQs or not...

Message 40 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.