Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CIti Restricted Account

tag
Scuba
Frequent Contributor

CIti Restricted Account

A couple of years ago, I was told by Citi I had a "restricted" account and they denied my application a couple of times for that reason. 

Try figuring out what that means is tough . . . even their CSRs don't know what it means.

Has anyone been told this and over time managed to get a Citi card? 

I don't want to burn another inquiry if I am still on their blacklist.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: CIti Restricted Account

@Scuba wrote:

A couple of years ago, I was told by Citi I had a "restricted" account and they denied my application a couple of times for that reason. 

Try figuring out what that means is tough . . . even their CSRs don't know what it means.

Has anyone been told this and over time managed to get a Citi card? 

I don't want to burn another inquiry if I am still on their blacklist.

Did you ever burn Citi on a CO or BK??

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 12
Scuba
Frequent Contributor

CO but it was pd the following month. In fact I tried paying earlier but they told me to wait a month they were changing computer systems. So I don't owe any money.
Message 3 of 12
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Scuba wrote:
CO but it was pd the following month. In fact I tried paying earlier but they told me to wait a month they were changing computer systems. So I don't owe any money.

Could be possible your on their blacklist, i'd try one of their backdoor numbers and see if they can verify what this is, hopefully since its PIF they can remove you from it.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 12
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Had a joint account with the DW that I had a CO on.  That account was paid in full after CO a couple of years ago.  DW got a CITI Diamond Preferred card a couple months ago from them and I am getting Pre-selected offers constantly from them.  So a paid CO does not get you blacklisted.  Or at least not in our case.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 5 of 12
Scuba
Frequent Contributor

Re: Citi Restricted Account

Yea, but look at your FICO scores, you are in the 800's - my scores are still 40 to 60 points behind you at a minimum. :Smiley Sad

I began to lose some of the baddies this past month and not one point of an increase on either TU or EQ.  I think by Q4 of this year, I would hope taking off a few more lates will bump my score to the 750 range but don't know for sure.

Thanks for the encouragement.

I really want a AA card but will wait till next year at least.  But it doesn't stop me from looking at their web page every week.

Message 6 of 12
Scuba
Frequent Contributor

It has been awhile and I was wondering again if anyone who was "Restricted" at Citi came off that list and granted a card?

Thanks

Message 7 of 12
mokong
Regular Contributor

im a AU of my Bro"s Sears account from citi since 2001 and it was CO and its reporting on my Equi only it says Co in 2010. and i was approved for TY Pref last 2011 with 5.9K cl now its  13.5K. so Citi dont blacklist.

Message 8 of 12
cottontop
Contributor

Yep, only reason on my denial for Citi AAdvantage Mastercard was "restricted account".   Wound up getting the card via retention line, changing my AT&T Universal over.  However, it was bugging me about the "restricted account" denial.  As you stated, CSR knew nothing.  Tried Retention, Knew nothing.  Finally got transferred to somewhere and was told that it was related to an old closed account and "it must have a CO balance".  I told them absolutely not! So, he put me on hold to check with their COLLECTIONS DEPT!  Came back on line and said I was right, no CO and no bad history.  

I again asked why the restricted account status?  He stated that the account was "closed by grantor" and therefore their systems pick up on it and kick me out, regardless of the accounts positive history.   It was closed due to inactivity.  I was advised that I would probably be auto-denied on any application, but to call in, relate the info he gave me, and it could be manually worked around.  Great.

Chase Unlimited 53k, us bank reserve 14k, nfcu flagship 32k, nfcu 15k cloc, discover 23.9k, citi 29k, 27.5k, GM 7.5k, Venmo 20k, penfed 15k, apple 8.5k,
Biz. Ink 10k, 35k, 20k, 5k. Us bank 9k, GM 29k
Message 9 of 12
Scuba
Frequent Contributor

cottontop, you should work for Citi.

That was clear and to the point. Thanks - I think I will still be in the garden a bit longer but am aligning myself for when I want to apply.

I have too many lates still showing up and I am sure they would use that against me but thanks again.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.