Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLD from Chase, BofA, Citi

tag
Y2kmaxse

CLD from Chase, BofA, Citi

Hello everybody,

in January I was hit with multiple CLD on all my cards from Chase and BofA. my 15,000 limited chase aarp account was closed and 2 other chase cards were decreased significatly. I have a balance on some of these cards and they left me with a credit limit with just 200.00 above my balance. My question is what has changed in 2018 that big banks are now actively doing reviews? (i know they periodically do reviews) I am not the only one effected by these CLD. I work with about 35 people and about 3/4 of them have had their credit limit reduced. This came up as a conversation one morning among 3 people and before you know it almost the whole office was involved. It all started for us in 2018.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CLD from Chase, BofA, Citi

Wow I'm sorry.. were you by chance carrying a revolving balance? IE not paying in full?

Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sorry to hear this, and it's a major bummer. Did you do some spending that spooked them or have a major change to your scores? 

Message 3 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sorry to hear this. Are you carrying large balances? Did something negative appear on your credit report?

Message 4 of 25
broke_in_nyc

That's weird, do you have anything negative that hit your reports?

I have BofA, Chase & Citi and have received CLI's from all of them recently.

Message 5 of 25
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Did the banks give you reasons for the adverse actions?  When you talked to your work colleagues, were you able to identify any common aspects of your credit card situations?

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 6 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

In general, defaults are up and interest rates are rising. High revolving balances will spook them (my balances went up November & December, but I pif).

Years ago Citi jacked my rate to 29.99% because they could - no missed payments on any of my accounts. I paid it off and left the card open - until they closed it. Never will do business with Citi again.

Suggest Credit Unions - max is 17.99 for default. They may adjust that as rates rise. CUs will only penalize if you do something wrong (usually).
Message 7 of 25
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

While CLDs are nothing new, and as mentioned above, recent trends have led lenders to perform more frequent periodic reviews to manage risk, which depending on not only economic factors, but overall profile deterioration can lead them to clamp on the borrowing capacity to stave off rising delinquencies / charge offs.
Message 8 of 25
NRB525
Super Contributor

CLD can happen, but only if you have high balances compared to limits and credit history, or the cardholder is making charges that are not with regular merchants, or otherwise appearing to mess with the terms and conditions of the card. When multiple banks hit you, it’s got to be high balances. I know from personal experience. 

OP can you list out all your cards, the limits before and the limits after CLD. Show when you opened each card for an idea about your credit history. 

Any late payments of any kind ever?  

For the rest of your colleagues, are those CLD recent or in 2009 - 2012 ? That seems like a very high concentration of CLD experience. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 9 of 25
happypill
Valued Contributor

wrote:

Hello everybody,

in January I was hit with multiple CLD on all my cards from Chase and BofA. my 15,000 limited chase aarp account was closed and 2 other chase cards were decreased significatly. I have a balance on some of these cards and they left me with a credit limit with just 200.00 above my balance. My question is what has changed in 2018 that big banks are now actively doing reviews? (i know they periodically do reviews) I am not the only one effected by these CLD. I work with about 35 people and about 3/4 of them have had their credit limit reduced. This came up as a conversation one morning among 3 people and before you know it almost the whole office was involved. It all started for us in 2018.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

If you had CLD across multiple lenders in a short period of time, the most likely conclusion is that you had something negative appear on your reports or your utilization hit some high threshold, or both.

If you haven't, you really need to check your reports for recent derogs.  You didn't mention your utilization in your original message, but that's the other most likely cause.

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.