Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLI Capital One?

tag
JMerrill110067

CLI Capital One?

Hi! 

I'm a bit concerned about my Capital One card's low limit, as it's my favorite rewards program to use and I don't want it to affect my utilization ratio. I finally built my credit back up to somewhere decent and I've been really good to them. I asked about a year ago, but I'm a HORRIBLE negotiator and they are so stingy! Anyway have any good strategies for discussing this with them? I don't plan to close the card since I want to keep the account going. I really like this card. Ideas?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: CLI Capital One?

Welcome to the forum. There are a few threads regarding how to request a CLI with Cap 1, the methods that have been successful are leaving a message on their Facebook and emailing the CEO/EO (email address can be found by googling Capital One, CEO.

Here's a thread that might interest you but there are quite a few others that might give you additional insights. Good luck.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Capital-One-Executive-Office/td-p/1598966
Message 2 of 8
JMerrill110067

Very helpful, thanks!

Message 3 of 8
Darrell82
Established Contributor

@JMerrill110067 wrote:

Hi! 

I'm a bit concerned about my Capital One card's low limit, as it's my favorite rewards program to use and I don't want it to affect my utilization ratio. I finally built my credit back up to somewhere decent and I've been really good to them. I asked about a year ago, but I'm a HORRIBLE negotiator and they are so stingy! Anyway have any good strategies for discussing this with them? I don't plan to close the card since I want to keep the account going. I really like this card. Ideas?

Yeah def use the EO email and let them know nicely that you are very greatful that they have extended credit to you but since you have received the card you have grew your credit profile much better then when they initially opened your account that you would like to better utilize there rewards program but it is hard to use it like you want because of such a low limit. 

They will call you within a day or 2 to ask you a few questions about income and how much you would like to have as a credit limit. ( Go high cause they will counter you with a lower limit ) . I had a $500 credit limit and i was on my 5th statement and i asked for 4,000 and they gave me $2500. I didnt figure to get the 4k but figured they would meet me in the middle on it. Also the never did a hard pull and they will tell you that it will always be a soft pull when the check to extend you more credit.

Good Luck and hope this helped.

Message 4 of 8
JMerrill110067

Thanks very much for your reply! Nice negotiating skillz with the $4k!

There is an update to my situation, I actually tried again over the phone first just in case that would go better this time. It did go a bit better, the rep transferred me back to the automated system and I was able to request a CLI there. I was able to instantly raise it to $1000. Still, such a tiny increase! Especially compared with my other cards. Anyway, now that I have done that I think I'll wait a while before going crazy requesting CLI's everywhere because they may not take that seriously. Unless you think I should insist to the EO now! 

p.s., to get to that automatic CLI option, I went to "main menu", "more options" and "credit limit increase". I'm told there's also an online option. 

Message 5 of 8
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

Since you were successful with an increase going the route you did, I don't think the EO would give you another increase as they typically like to have 6 months between requests.  Next time, forget about doing it by phone or online and just email the EO.  Aim high as they will ask you if you would accept a lower amount if they can't approve the initial amount asked for.  I'm not a good negotiator, but it seems easier going through the EO.  

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 6 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I sent you private message with EO email.

I would skip the automated thing if you hadn't done it already because it only gives $500... EO might call and say you already got a CLI but I would say you would like it manual reviewed to go to $5k to go along with your other portfolio... they will counter...

you have quicksilver already?

Message 7 of 8
Darrell82
Established Contributor

@JMerrill110067 wrote:

Thanks very much for your reply! Nice negotiating skillz with the $4k!

There is an update to my situation, I actually tried again over the phone first just in case that would go better this time. It did go a bit better, the rep transferred me back to the automated system and I was able to request a CLI there. I was able to instantly raise it to $1000. Still, such a tiny increase! Especially compared with my other cards. Anyway, now that I have done that I think I'll wait a while before going crazy requesting CLI's everywhere because they may not take that seriously. Unless you think I should insist to the EO now! 

p.s., to get to that automatic CLI option, I went to "main menu", "more options" and "credit limit increase". I'm told there's also an online option. 

Yeah I agree with the others as well. Def use the EO email you will have much much more success. I never had any luck with the over the phone or with the autoincrease. always got denied cause was not long enough with the card, Did the EO email and got increase within a few days. Def shoot higher for what you think you would get approved for cause they will ask you if you would be ok taking less then you ask for. I said yes i am good with that. Good luck and let us know how it goes if you do it. You have nothing to loose by doing it though. Its def a soft pull and he will tell you that right off the bat,

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.