cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLI for Amex Full 3X, or lower???

tag

CLI for Amex Full 3X, or lower???

Hi All,

I got the SPG Amex last month, and will hit 61 days next month. I'm wondering if I should ask for a full 3X the CLI, or lower. They gived me $3500 CLI to start with. Currently I got Cap 1 $750, and Orchard Bank $300. Please any suggestion would be great.

Thanks.

EQ Fico: 731 - Dec 13, 2012
WellsFargo ID Prot Pull 01/29/2013
EX 741 - EQ 711 - TU 708

Goal:
Chase Hyatt, CSP
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
bs6054
Valued Contributor

Re: CLI for Amex Full 3X, or lower???

Usual advice is to just go for the 3x.  If Amex want to give less, they will counter-offer.

Message 2 of 8
Epcot
Valued Contributor

Give the full 3x amount a shot!

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 3 of 8
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

Usual advice is to just go for the 3x.  If Amex want to give less, they will counter-offer.

+1

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 4 of 8
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Always shoot for the 3x and then accept counter, if they offer.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 5 of 8
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Go for full 3xxxx !!!

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 6 of 8
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

I know the usual advice is go for full 3x.  There are people that get straight denied however.  And we can never know whether they might have been successful if they asked for less.

With an initial CL of $3500, and this being your first card with a decent limit, I might suggest an alternate approach.  Why not ask for a CLI to $8500.  It's not the full 3x, but it still puts you in striking distance of getting up to $25K on your next request.  We are talking about trying to triple your limit in the first two months of having the account, and when your other limits are fairly low. 

Of course, I have to admit, most people seem to have success with 3x, or at least get a counteroffer.  So maybe I am being too conservative.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 8
adavis425
Established Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

I know the usual advice is go for full 3x.  There are people that get straight denied however.  And we can never know whether they might have been successful if they asked for less.

With an initial CL of $3500, and this being your first card with a decent limit, I might suggest an alternate approach.  Why not ask for a CLI to $8500.  It's not the full 3x, but it still puts you in striking distance of getting up to $25K on your next request.  We are talking about trying to triple your limit in the first two months of having the account, and when your other limits are fairly low. 

Of course, I have to admit, most people seem to have success with 3x, or at least get a counteroffer.  So maybe I am being too conservative.

+1

I say go for the whole thing and let them counter, if need be. Good luck! Smiley Tongue

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.