cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLI on Chase card after transferring credit limit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CLI on Chase card after transferring credit limit?

Looking to see if anyone has experience getting an auto-CLI on a Chase card after transferring a credit limit from another card. 

I've had my Chase Freedom Unlimited Card since 2016 and have gotten 3 auto-CLIs on it, most about 1 year apart (brought the card limit from $2.5k to $8.5k). In May, 2020 I transferred $5.5k of my credit limit from my Chase United Explorer card because I was getting ready to close it. My CL is now at $14k on my CFU but I am still interested in growing it, especially with the new cash back rewards on it now. Brings me to the question of, does Chase consider a limit transfer between cards as a CLI on the CFU and therefore will either not auto-CLI anymore or wait quite a while? The card has a good limit now so I'm not stressing about it (and I'm not going to take a hard pull for a CLI anytime soon), I'm just sort of curious about data points with auto CLIs on chase cards after a transfer of credit limits. 

Any thoughts? 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: CLI on Chase card after transferring credit limit?

@Anonymous wrote:

Looking to see if anyone has experience getting an auto-CLI on a Chase card after transferring a credit limit from another card. 

I've had my Chase Freedom Unlimited Card since 2016 and have gotten 3 auto-CLIs on it, most about 1 year apart (brought the card limit from $2.5k to $8.5k). In May, 2020 I transferred $5.5k of my credit limit from my Chase United Explorer card because I was getting ready to close it. My CL is now at $14k on my CFU but I am still interested in growing it, especially with the new cash back rewards on it now. Brings me to the question of, does Chase consider a limit transfer between cards as a CLI on the CFU and therefore will either not auto-CLI anymore or wait quite a while? The card has a good limit now so I'm not stressing about it (and I'm not going to take a hard pull for a CLI anytime soon), I'm just sort of curious about data points with auto CLIs on chase cards after a transfer of credit limits. 

Any thoughts? 

I have had chase cards since 2014 and have never gotten an auto CLI so personally I wouldn't expect them to give you another one considering the current economic situation. 

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

As I said, I'm not looking for an increase anytime soon, I'm just curious about historical points about CLIs after transfers, it may be that I will never get another increase on that card and that would be fine with me, I'm just asking about other experiences. 

Message 3 of 8
blindambition
Senior Contributor

I have received a total of 3 auto increases on my 4 cards over the years. While others have seen none, or many. Profile specific and YMMV.

It's possible if spend and card usage supports it. 
Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 8
FlaDude
Established Contributor

@blindambition wrote:

I have received a total of 3 auto increases on my 4 cards over the years. While others have seen none, or many. Profile specific and YMMV.

It's possible if spend and card usage supports it. 
Smiley Happy

Yeah, I've had 2 auto CLIs on three cards, both after paying down balances. One was an Amazon card that was maxed out for years, paid it off with a consolidation loan and then, CLI! Another on CSP, put a lot of travel expenses, carried for a month or two before paying down, another CLI. OTOH, I've had my Slate card for 25 years, it started with the lowest CL of any of my Chase cards. It too was maxed out for years, but nothing on that one when I paid it off.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 5 of 8
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

profiles are so individual specific I am not sure there are many valid dps.  auto cli's are like card pre-approvals to me, if I were in a position to want a card or get more limit I would just do it.  an hp answers the question.  I dont want some algorithm deciding my fate or at least not right off the bat. if one has spend to support an increase and a good profile that makes sense then one will often get it.  I have a number of chase cards and have received many auto-clis - inks, csr, fu.  had cards for over 4 decades so I think they are history and income centric but that is just me.   I say pull the trigger if you want more anything

Message 6 of 8
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

I have had at least one Chase card since 2012, and currently have three.  I have never gotten a CLI on any of those cards, and that's with scores in the 800s for the last 5-6 years.  All three cards have credit limits over $20,000, so I really don't need or expect a CLI.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 7 of 8
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

I talked with the Chase CSR about auto-CLI post credit move and was told that it does reduce the probability of receiving an auto-CLI if you move the credit limits around.

Manipulating the CLI is somewhat tricky as Chase moves the benefits around. I'm sure there are people who moved their credit line from a CFU to a CSP only to find out now the CFU has 3x dining.

I have 24.6k on my CSP but only 13.4k on my CFU. Its tempting to want to rebalance especially when the CFU gets bills, drugstore, dining and travel purchase while the CSP gets doordash and car rentals. But what if CSP has more perks in the future?

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.