Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLI vs. lower APR?

tag
poet
Regular Contributor

CLI vs. lower APR?

In my never-ending quest to get my CapOne account the way I'd like it, I periodically ask for a lower APR. This time, I got an e-mail asking em to call. I got a friendly agent who didn't want to do that, but who said that I was eligible for a $300 CLI (on a $500 account). I told her I didn't want a CLI right now, and that I'd really rather lower my APR, or else go to my bank or some other provider. My top and middle scores recently crossed the 680 line. Also, I'm in the middle of trying to finance a mortgage, so DO NOT WANT any account changes right now. Anyone have advice as to whether a lower APR is better than a CLI in terms of DTI ratios? Thanks!

Starting Score: 550
Current Score: 673 EQ, 681 TU, 650 EX
Goal Score: 720

Update April 1: TU 615/EQ624
Update June 28: TU 641/EQ 626
Update Sept 21: TU 681, EQ 673, EX 650 (FAKO)
I FINALLY got that car at the rate I wanted! Thanks, FICO Forums!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CLI vs. lower APR?

poet wrote:
In my never-ending quest to get my CapOne account the way I'd like it, I periodically ask for a lower APR. This time, I got an e-mail asking em to call. I got a friendly agent who didn't want to do that, but who said that I was eligible for a $300 CLI (on a $500 account). I told her I didn't want a CLI right now, and that I'd really rather lower my APR, or else go to my bank or some other provider. My top and middle scores recently crossed the 680 line. Also, I'm in the middle of trying to finance a mortgage, so DO NOT WANT any account changes right now. Anyone have advice as to whether a lower APR is better than a CLI in terms of DTI ratios? Thanks!

I would take the CLI for now an try to get a lower APR some other time.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The 2 choices they gave me was easier. I was offered either a $39 credit for the annual fee or a $500 CLI. I took the CLI since they have never given me one since 2003.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

poet wrote:
 Anyone have advice as to whether a lower APR is better than a CLI in terms of DTI ratios? Thanks!

Neither CL nor APR have anything to do with DTI.

Message 4 of 8
marty56
Super Contributor

From a FICO point of view, CLI is always better the lower your APR.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 5 of 8
fused
Moderator Emeritus

- Do a CLI to increase you available credit and lower your revolving util to improve scores

- Lower your APR if you intend to revolve some balances
Message 6 of 8
poet
Regular Contributor

CapOne junk fees in small claims court?

I got a house, and I got a nice $2K credit line at Lowes to go with it. This did put a dent in my scores, but they are still OK and one still over 700. Meanwhile, Capital One has been sticking it to me. I am trying to get back the "insurance" fees they added despite my refusal from Day One, and the resulting fees for the snowball effect this caused on my account, and am thinking about filing small claims suit. Anyone have experience/luck with this? They are getting worse by the month. I'm a PIFer, yet they've managed to get me overlimit as a result of these fees... and I'm sick of being messed with. Sadly, their APR is lower than most others. I want to go to another card and don't know who can beat their APR. Advice welcome.

Starting Score: 550
Current Score: 673 EQ, 681 TU, 650 EX
Goal Score: 720

Update April 1: TU 615/EQ624
Update June 28: TU 641/EQ 626
Update Sept 21: TU 681, EQ 673, EX 650 (FAKO)
I FINALLY got that car at the rate I wanted! Thanks, FICO Forums!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 8
score_building
Senior Contributor

Solarjuju wrote:
The 2 choices they gave me was easier. I was offered either a $39 credit for the annual fee or a $500 CLI. I took the CLI since they have never given me one since 2003.

why should you have to choose?  If i were you i would have let them waive the annual fee on that call and then called back another time to requst a cli (you should've still been eligible for the cli regardless of the annual fee waiver). call back and ask them to waive the annual fee as a customer courtesy.  i'm debating whether it is worth my time to reapp and combine because i have a 500 cl since 2001 and their currently my only subprime/low limit cl on my cr.
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.