Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLI???

tag
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

CLI???

I have seen several people state that they get a new card and immediatly start asking for CLI.  I have even see some who are in credit steps try to get a CLI.

Has anyone had any success with this?   Logicly to me it would make sense to wait a few months inbetween app and request or between cli requests.   If you are turned down you probably need to garden, if approved I would think you need to garden a bit.   I'm not planing on requesting any CLI or a while.    I am curious if you can get them right away and if you do are they smaller than what you are likely to get if you wait?

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

Re: CLI???

@MakingProgresswrote:

I have seen several people state that they get a new card and immediatly start asking for CLI.  I have even see some who are in credit steps try to get a CLI.

Has anyone had any success with this?   Logicly to me it would make sense to wait a few months inbetween app and request or between cli requests.   If you are turned down you probably need to garden, if approved I would think you need to garden a bit.   I'm not planing on requesting any CLI or a while.    I am curious if you can get them right away and if you do are they smaller than what you are likely to get if you wait?

Some of the reasons I have seen: 

A: Usually it's a SP, so no harm done if denied. 

B: An outlier sometimes has success with a CLI outside of normal timeframes - like some people being able to get SP CLI's upon receiving their Discover or Citi cards, while most people get nothing.

C: Sometimes an out of band CLI (like the pre-credit steps CLI that Captial One sometimes gives) can give someone some breathing room on a small limit card. 

D: Some lenders have shown that their inital approval amounts and maximum approval amounts are hugely disproportionate, so the person might want to get the most they're approved for. Synchrony cards are a good example of this, like when someone will get a $600 Lowe's card approval, but can call Credit Solutions and have it turned into $12,000 in minutes.

Message 2 of 3
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: CLI???

@MakingProgresswrote:

It depends on the lender. I seem to recall that with Synchrony it was par for the course to recon the starting limit, and they were very generous about it.

But that was a couple of years ago; the lending climate is different now.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.