cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLOSING ACCOUNT JUST OPEN

tag
lamk69

CLOSING ACCOUNT JUST OPEN

I just open a BestBuy account and have not using it yet. Will closing the acct will hurt my credit score. I didn't realized my score drop from 652 to 614 after apply for BB acct.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
100down0monthly
New Contributor

Re: CLOSING ACCOUNT JUST OPEN

Your score will bounce back.  May as well leave the TL open now that you have it.

Message 2 of 8
john398
Senior Contributor

With a 614 I would keep it open and maybe use it every4 to 6 months, at best buy you can buy a candy bar, closing it would not be a good idea in my opion because with such a low score you may have a hard time getting a card without having one on your account in good standing

Message 3 of 8
Countingpennies
Established Contributor

If there is an AF (fee) with this card, it has probably already been assessed. Might as well keep it until just before the fee hits next year.
Message 4 of 8
HeilFico
Regular Contributor

That's a pretty sharp decrease for one app. Did you apply for anything else? It will bounce back as others have suggested. Now that you have the tradeline, use it! Smiley Happy

What did they approve you for? (if you don't mind me asking) Sometimes if its a lower limit, it can also affect your score a bit. 

Message 5 of 8
lamk69

they approved for $2000

Message 6 of 8
mauwow0682
Frequent Contributor

Keep it open! You most likely got a plan A store card. Most folks die to have that one because the limit grows pretty high if used
!

Starting Score: 620 FAKO
Current Score: FICO TU 715 (wal-mart) FICO EQ 692
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 8
enharu
Super Contributor

@john398 wrote:

With a 614 I would keep it open and maybe use it every4 to 6 months, at best buy you can buy a candy bar, closing it would not be a good idea in my opion because with such a low score you may have a hard time getting a card without having one on your account in good standing

+1

Just keep it open for now.

What's done is already done.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.