cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(CONFIRMED) WF to discontinue all cards except Active Cash, Platinum, and Hotels.com

tag
FormerCollegeDJ
Frequent Contributor

(CONFIRMED) WF to discontinue all cards except Active Cash, Platinum, and Hotels.com

According a Doctor of Credit rumor posted earlier today, Wells Fargo will be discontinuing most of its current credit card line, excluding the long intro period 0% APR Platinum Visa and the recently announced and soon to be introduced Active Cash Visa.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/rumor-wells-fargo-to-discontinue-current-credit-cards/

The rumor was posted by the Reddit poster LA-and-SF, who previously posted the later confirmed Wells Fargo rumors about the Propel Amex being closed to new applications and the introduction of the Active Cash Visa.

My guess is the co-branded Hotels.com card will also be kept, based on Wells Fargo's recent announcement that it plans to expand its co-branded credit card line.*  Assuming that's the case, the discontinued cards would include the Cash Wise Visa, the Cash Back College Visa, the Signature Visa, and the Rewards Visa.  They'd join the WF Propel Amex card that was closed to new applications in mid-April 2021.

This potential change would be consistent with WF's announcements regarding the introduction/impending rollout of the Active Cash Visa (which would replace the Cash Wise Visa) and its plans to introduce a new rewards card line next year (which would replace the Signature Visa).

*UPDATE: The Reddit poster LA-and-SF responded to a question I posted on Reddit regarding the Hotels.com Visa card and indicated that card will NOT be discontinued.

Playing the credit card rewards game since early May 2020.

Current credit cards:
American Express: Hilton Honors
Bank of America: Customized Cash Rewards Visa
Capital One: SavorOne MC
Chase: Amazon Visa, Freedom Unlimited Visa, Freedom Flex MC
Citi: Sears/ThankYou Rewards MC, My Best Buy Visa, Custom Cash MC
Comenity: AAA Travel Advantage Visa
Discover: Cash It
Elan: S&T Bank Max Cash Preferred Visa
FNBO: Amtrak Guest Rewards Platinum MC
PSECU: Founder's Visa
U.S. Bank: Cash+ Visa
Wells Fargo: Autograph Visa
Store cards: Kohl's

Next target credit cards: Wells Fargo Bilt Mastercard (probably), Truist Enjoy Travel Visa (maybe)
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: RUMOR (DoC): WF to discontinue all cards except Platinum & Active Cash

WF doesn't really offer than many in the first place, compared to others, so it would be a major hit to eliminate them all. And I honestly don't see them doing it as they pretty much have their bases covered with core cards and the Hotels.com card, so why would they?

Message 2 of 14
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

I wonder if WF is going after the Amazon card 😏

Message 3 of 14
FormerCollegeDJ
Frequent Contributor

@ChargedUp wrote:

I wonder if WF is going after the Amazon card 😏

When I saw the Amazon/Chase parting ways announcement, one of my first thoughts was Wells Fargo might go after that portfolio.

Current credit cards:

Next target credit cards: Wells Fargo Bilt Mastercard (probably), Truist Enjoy Travel Visa (maybe)
Message 4 of 14
sjt
Senior Contributor

Does this mean they will convert all current accounts? If so, will they close the accounts and open new ones?
American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 5 of 14
FormerCollegeDJ
Frequent Contributor

@sjt wrote:
Does this mean they will convert all current accounts? If so, will they close the accounts and open new ones?

I would guess all cards that are discontinued will be grandfathered in for current card holders.

Current credit cards:

Message 6 of 14
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@sjt wrote:

Discontinuation of WF products simply means new or direct applications will no longer be available, except via referral process or PC (if account is eligible). There are still several WF legacy products that are no longer available and still in circulation.  So, if the rumour becomes a reality (again still a rumour), then it's likely those products will stay as is for a long while -- unless WF decides to consolidate or unify their CC product family. 

FWIW, I still have the Propel World AmEx from 2015 long after being publicly discontinued (AF has been waived for a few years).  It's still available via referral (branch), IIRC.  Not sure if it can be PC'd these days though.

Message 7 of 14
370Z
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the heads up. Much appreciated.

EQ8 817 (2/24) EQ9 850 (1/24) EX8 837 (3/24) EX9 842 (3/24) TU8 819 (3/24)
Chase_Hyatt|10k|15.24%|6/13 * Amex_Hilton|10k|13.99%|8/13 * Chase_IHG|10k|15.24%|1/14 * Chase_Ink$|12k|13.24%|5/14 * NFCU$|46k|9.65%|12/14 * Amex_ED|10k|12.99%|1/16 * Citi_Custom$|45k|15.24%|4/16 * Merrill+|68k|12.99%|2/17 * Amex_BB+|10k|15.24%|3/18 * PenFed_Pathfinder|29.4k|12.74%|9/18 * WF_Autograph|25k|16.99%|7/19 * AODFCU_VS|22k|7.49%|4/20 * Chase_Ritz_Carlton|48.5k|15.99%|10/21 * Amex_BB$|42k|13.24%|8/22 * Redstone_FCU_VS|10k|12.00%|6/23 * C1_VX|30k|14.74%|1/24
Gone: CSP, AA x3, Ink+, Premier, CSR, CFU, CF, AARP, Limitless
Message 8 of 14
FormerCollegeDJ
Frequent Contributor

As @FinStar noted in the Wells Fargo Active Cash introduction thread, the four cards identified in the first post above - the Cash Wise Visa, the Cash Back College Visa, the Signature Visa, and the Rewards Visa - have all been pulled from the Wells Fargo site.

Try to keep discussion about the four "closed to new applications except through select channels" cards in this thread and the discussion about the new WF Active Cash Visa in the thread dedicated to that card.

Current credit cards:

Message 9 of 14
RootDet
Established Contributor

I would take anybody but Barclays. Tired of this HP cli BS. My CL on the amazon card has never changed regardless of heavy usuage spend. 

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.