cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CRA Dispute and applying for an NFCU credit card... help....

tag
bbb925
Regular Contributor

CRA Dispute and applying for an NFCU credit card... help....

If one is disputing info on their CR, would that interfere with a credit card application, as in denial? Just curious how that looks to the CC company pulling your credit. ThanksSmiley Happy

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: CRA Dispute and applying for a credit card help....

If the bad info is still there I would wait to apply until resolved.

Message 2 of 8
bbb925
Regular Contributor

Re: CRA Dispute and applying for a credit card with NFCU...help....

My friend wants to apply for NFCU CC as I did and was approved and all. But she is currently disputing accounts that were supposed to be IIB and some still showed a balance and past due amount even though the BK was discharged 7/2008. She has a credit card and student loans in good standing so she wasn't sure if she would be denied because of the disputes currently going on with her credit reports. She has scores in the 640's and 650's and has a savings and checking account opened with NFCU since March 2011. Any ideas what she is in for, for an approval with a CC and Navchek LOC with NFCU? She makes $88,000./year

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bbb925 wrote:

If one is disputing info on their CR, would that interfere with a credit card application, as in denial? Just curious how that looks to the CC company pulling your credit. ThanksSmiley Happy

What happens when you dispute an item on your report (if you're disputing with the CRA) the negative listing stays on your report, but the negative impact of that listing stops to affect your score while it's in dispute.

At least thats what happened the 4 times I've disputed this bogus HSBC CO thats listed on my 3 reports (I'll just use TU as an example to keep it simple) Each time I've disputed with TU my score went up during the dispute, TU score before dispute was 692 I believe and then during the dispute my score went up to 707, then after the investigation performed by TU was concluded my TU score dropped back down to a 694 same util during and after the dispute, no other changes on report during the dispute, I spoke to my Paralegal and she told me about the negative listing stays but the negative impact stops affecting your score during the dispute.

I've gotten back into the 700's by getting my util down to 12% at this point and the CO is still there. Cant wait for it to either drop off Dec 2013 or for HSBC and or the CRA's to figure out, this IS NOT my account!!

Have you checked to see if your score went up during the dispute? And are you disputing with the CRA's or the Creditor? If you're disputing directly with the creditor it will have 0 impact on your score or report at the time of dispute.

Message 4 of 8
bbb925
Regular Contributor

My friend said her score hasn't changed at all. My understanding from her is that these were accounts that were IIB but are not reflecting that. Therefore, she initiated the dispute to make these creditors update the account as closed, IIB, 0 balance, 0 limit. Does that make sense? So the negative info will still be on her report, she is hoping that it will state IIB rather than as a CO still past due.

Message 5 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Some disputes remove the account from scoring, others don't. It's up to the CRA how to enter the dispute.

If I were to apply for a CC (or anything else) with an active dispute on my reports, I would be ready to explain very clearly and calmly (!) why it's there.

That being said, I've had a non-dispute dispute on my reports for 2 1/2 - 3 years, resulting from a GW misread by a computer, and its presence has never been questioned.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 8
creditguy-378
Regular Contributor

after the dispute send them a mov letter 99% of the time they will delete it because if they didn't investigate it thoughly and be able to prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt that it's correct you can sue and win

always use credit wisely and you won't ever feel like you're working just for the task master
Message 7 of 8
notw1031
New Contributor

Re: CRA Dispute and applying for an NFCU credit card... help....

Anyone else know? I'm curious too as I want to apply for Navchek and a CC with NFCU but I am currently disputing stuff. I don't want to be denied or have to do a recon. So has anyone applied while disputing items and been approved?

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.