Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CREDIT CARD Approval likelyhood.

tag
yomellamoFICO2013
Regular Contributor

CREDIT CARD Approval likelyhood.

I am working on rebuilding my credit, which is at 620 FICO.

What's the likelyhood of getting approved for the below credit cards at this score ?

Among the recommended cards from myFico are

Discover IT -

Citi Forward® Card

Citi® Dividend® Card

Anybody with a similar recent experience ? I read that I might be able to get approved Walmar GEBank, which other cards should I consider.

FYI - I am not planning on spending, just keeping my debt ratio in a lower level.

I have prior ChargeOffs, Collections, but nothing current. (Average account 7 years or later).

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond.

CURRENT TLS:

AMAZON $2K/ WALMART $2K /DCU $3K DELTA AMEX $1K
DISCOVER $1.2K/ PAYPALEXT $2K /COSTCOTU $1.2K

UPDATED 8/1
EQ
8/1/13 EQ 694 - (myfico) -
7/26/13 EQ 694 - (DCU)
9/10 EQ 701 - (myfico)

EX
9/8 - EX 707 (usaa/EX)

TU
6/18 TU 690 (myfico)
7/2 TU 694 (Walmart)
8/8 TU 676 (Walmart)
9/6 TU 676 (Walmart)
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
charleeislegend
Regular Contributor

Re: CREDIT CARD Approval likelyhood.

Imo u need at least 680+ for those PRIME cards. U should go for a secured card, credit union card if ur eligible like NFCU. But with that fico and ur history I would say ur wasting inquiries
Credit Karma (TU) : 810 Discover FICO (TU): 805 Credit Sesame (EX): 805 myFICO (EQ) - 791
Amex Simplycash Business - $15000 Citi Costco - $12000 Citi Double Cash - $10000 Discover IT - $12000 Chase Sapphire Reserve - $32000
Message 2 of 17
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

the Discover It will requite a 670-680, the other two will require a 700 minimum and probably closer to 720 for a sure approval

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 3 of 17
nickn86
Contributor

I'd give Discover a shot.  I think people here think they are harder to get approved for when they actually are.  They approved me with little credit history (granted, not bad credit), and there seem to be a lot of "surprise" Discover approvals here.

What is your utilization now?  If you can raise your score by paying down some debt, do that first if possible.

Chase Sapphire Preferred - 5.6k (3/13) | Amex Premier Rewards Gold - NPSL (1/13) | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Visa Signature - 9k (1/13) | Amex Delta Gold - 6k (9/12) | Citi Forward Visa - 10k (10/12) | Discover It - 2k (2/12) | Chase +1 Visa - $300 (2/11)
Message 4 of 17
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

I personally would not waste the inquries on those cards... maybe discover it but im not sure what the criteria is for that card. 

id say you have a good shot at walmart, and maybe even discover walmart (with the aaoa)    they exclusively pull tu. 

do you have any recent baddies? seems like your score is pretty down there. 

what's you r util? 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 5 of 17
yomellamoFICO2013
Regular Contributor

Thank you for your advice.

CURRENT TLS:

UPDATED 8/1
EQ
7/26/13 EQ 694 - (DCU)
9/10 EQ 701 - (myfico)

EX
9/8 - EX 707 (usaa/EX)

TU
6/18 TU 690 (myfico)
7/2 TU 694 (Walmart)
8/8 TU 676 (Walmart)
9/6 TU 676 (Walmart)
Message 6 of 17
OptimasPrime
Frequent Contributor

@charleeislegend wrote:
Imo u need at least 680+ for those PRIME cards. U should go for a secured card, credit union card if ur eligible like NFCU. But with that fico and ur history I would say ur wasting inquiries

I'd agree wih this for the most part although I've seen posters with scores in the 660's sneek in with discover. You might have chance with Gemb but even that is iffy with your current scores. As suggested above, a secured card or a credit union would probably be the best way to go in the short term.

I played around a bit with the card finder feature on this site that the op referenced, and I have to say that I find it to be extremely misleading. In no way, shape, or form should a citi forward be listed as a recommended card for someone with ficos between 540-640 (disregarding the fact that there are questions as to whether or not it has been discontinued). Yet under the cardfinder on myFico, this is the case. I encountered several other questionable recommendations as well. I would advise people to take the results they receive under this feature with a grain of salt, and suspect that paid advertising is likely the root cause of the problem. 

Note- I'm certainly not trying to bash myFico and think that the site as a whole is excellent, I just think that this one particular service could be improved upon.

EQ 778 | TU 776
Barclay US Airways WMC 7.5k | BCE 5.8k | BofA Travel Rewards 9.1k | Chase Marriott Premier 13k | Citi TYP WMC 6.5k | Freedom Visa Sig 8k| Discover it 10k
Message 7 of 17
yomellamoFICO2013
Regular Contributor

I am certanly taking every reply as a grain of salt  and learning how to manage my score is my biggest priority. I am in for progressive credit score, which I know it takes time to achieve.

Needless to say, I have learned from my past financial mistakes, and now considering more careful options, so I can bring my score and credit reputation to the positive side.

I will let you all know the result of my decision.

CURRENT TLS:

UPDATED 8/1
EQ
7/26/13 EQ 694 - (DCU)
9/10 EQ 701 - (myfico)

EX
9/8 - EX 707 (usaa/EX)

TU
6/18 TU 690 (myfico)
7/2 TU 694 (Walmart)
8/8 TU 676 (Walmart)
9/6 TU 676 (Walmart)
Message 8 of 17
dodgeball
Established Contributor

I got approved with dicover with a 637 transunion score, I am the exception not the rule. 

NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

Other Cards - Citibank AAdvantage, Chase Slate, Barclays Rewards,

IN THE GARDEN UNTIL APRIL 2014

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 9 of 17
ednajen
New Contributor

I got the Discover more with a TU around 630, probably a little lower.  I noticed that when I was approved they told me I didn't qualify for their best interest terms so they adjusted the advertised apr.  It didn't matter to me as I PIF each month. I hope that helps.

EDIT, I pc'd to an IT last month.

Go to cards: Amex BCE , CSP, Discover IT, Amex Gold NPSL
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.