Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSP AU 5,000 Pts...no hope :(

tag
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: CSP AU 5,000 Pts...no hope :(

@09Lexie wrote:
I am assuming you are all kidding ; correct?

Correct - I was Lexie... Cat Very Happy  just baffles me what some folks would go through just for points (or whatever) though.

Message 11 of 30
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:
I am assuming you are all kidding ; correct?

Correct - I was Lexie... Cat Very Happy  just baffles me what some folks would go through just for points (or whatever) though.

Like churn cards? Smiley Happy

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 12 of 30
enharu
Super Contributor

Churning cards might not be as bad since you can just sit at home and do it within a minute or two. Then again, it depends on how good / bad the rewards are as well, I suppose.

Manufactured spending on the other hand is too troublesome, at least for me. Just too much running around, waiting in line, and then having to run to a bank again, etc.... I would rather just dedicate a few more hours to work and I get better returns for the same amount of time invested. Not saying MS is a complete waste of time or anything. To some it can be worthwhile.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 13 of 30
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Does every AU get you 5k points for CSP? My agreement didn't say anything like that.. is this account specific? Smiley Happy Sad for OP.. wondering what this is about though.
Message 14 of 30
enharu
Super Contributor

The AU promo is only for accounts opened recently. You can only get the 5k bonus once.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 15 of 30
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@enharu wrote:
The AU promo is only for accounts opened recently. You can only get the 5k bonus once.

thanks enharu! Smiley Happy Secure messaged Chase regarding my account hoping that I can get this added to my account.. easy points since I already have an AU added who hasn't used the card yet.

Message 16 of 30
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@enharu wrote:
Churning cards might not be as bad since you can just sit at home and do it within a minute or two. Then again, it depends on how good / bad the rewards are as well, I suppose.

Manufactured spending on the other hand is too troublesome, at least for me. Just too much running around, waiting in line, and then having to run to a bank again, etc.... I would rather just dedicate a few more hours to work and I get better returns for the same amount of time invested. Not saying MS is a complete waste of time or anything. To some it can be worthwhile.

I personally find both distasteful, although I completely understand why some people do it. Like you I'd rather spend a few extra hours at work for the same result, but not everyone has that option.

I think my threshold is a bit lower than yours though, as I don't even like swapping cards in and out from churning. I'd rather find a handful of cards that are keepers, and then hold on to them until something better comes along. At that point, I'll replace one for another.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 17 of 30
enharu
Super Contributor

To be honest I do like your approach better; everything just seems a lot neater and easier to manage, and the wallet is also not filled with unnecessary cards.

I debated about whether I should close out some of my accounts, such as Wells Fargo and Barclays, since I practically don't use them at all. The only cards in my wallet are Amex Plat, cash+, CSP and a citi TYP. I rarely bring the other cards along, unless I have to present the card in person, such as upon checking in, and so I just use them mostly for online purchases / reservations.

There are some cards I do regret getting as well. It seemed interesting, but the interests died out pretty shortly after.

Message 18 of 30
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Which cards do you regret getting, and are you planning to cull these anytime soon?

Also how do you find the Amex Plat vs. Ritz?
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
Message 19 of 30
enharu
Super Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:
Which cards do you regret getting, and are you planning to cull these anytime soon?

Also how do you find the Amex Plat vs. Ritz?

The Citi Prestige is probably my biggest regret. Even though they waived the AF, I probably should have gotten something else from Citi instead or not even bother with anything. Everything just seems pretty medicore. Maybe I'll eventually find more use for it. I just bought some air tickets using this card so I'll see if I do get the bonus flight-miles for travel that isn't done by me. I don't plan to renew the card and will either try to consolidate my CL or change it into something else if possible. Otherwise I'll just close it.

The other 2 cards are the Barclay Arrival and Merrill+. The Merrill+ isn't a bad card, but I just don't have much use for it right now, and I don't want to dilute my spending across different rewards program as well. The Barclay card has a nice sign-up bonus, and they pull TU, which was why I went for it. But until now I have yet to redeem any of those miles since I just end up using my other cards for travel purchases. I'll probably use up the rewards during a weekend trip to vegas or something and then close the account. I also haven't used my Bloomingdale's card since Feb'13. They close accounts after a year of inactivity, so I'll just let them close the account on its own. There was a use for the card when Bloomingdale's required purchases to be made on their card in order to get any sales discount, but they have loosened up on their policies now.

I think the Ritz and Amex cards are both nice to have and they can complement each other. If I can only choose 1 out of the 2, I probably will go with the Ritz though, since the other Amex benefits, minus lounge access, are also available on other Amex cards. 

Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.