Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSP-Freedom Combo?

tag
kwinks
Regular Contributor

CSP-Freedom Combo?

Hello,

so I've read on this site that having a chase checking, the freedom, and csp is a great combination and what not, but I don't understand why or how? Anyone willing to elaborate. I have all three but don't see what is so great about having the 3.

on a side note don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE chase!

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Omri
New Contributor

Re: CSP-Freedom Combo?

The Freedom has great earning potential with the 5x points on category purchases. With checking, you get more out of that, with 1.1x UR points for all purchases and 5.1x for category purchases AND if you were grandfathered in, 10 points per transaction. You can then transfer those points over to the CSP to transfer to airline rewards miles.

In short, the Freedom allows you to earn lots of points, the Chase Checking increases the amount of points you earn with Freedom, and CSP improves the value of the points by allowing you to turn them into airline miles (typically United).

Recent FICO scores: TU - 755 (mortgage lender pull)
Message 2 of 18
kwinks
Regular Contributor

O thanks! But that really only works if buying through ultimate rewards mall right? Sucks, because the prices there are kind of high.....

-___-

Message 3 of 18
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

@kwinks wrote:

O thanks! But that really only works if buying through ultimate rewards mall right? Sucks, because the prices there are kind of high.....

-___-

No, this is on any purchases.

So a $1.00 of coffee will earn you 1% of that $1, 10 cents, and 10% of those points at the end of the year which totals out to $0.121 in rewards

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 4 of 18
kwinks
Regular Contributor

Sorry I wasn't clear. 

I meant that I can only buy discounted airfare through ultimate rewards, which is always more expensive than say orbitz...figures

Message 5 of 18
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

1% of a Dollar is .01  so it's 1 cent not 10

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 6 of 18
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@kwinks wrote:

Sorry I wasn't clear. 

I meant that I can only buy discounted airfare through ultimate rewards, which is always more expensive than say orbitz...figures

You can transfer your points directly to the airlines FF program, there is typically more value doing that then there is buying the airfare with points

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 7 of 18
kekrre
Contributor

@kwinks wrote:

Sorry I wasn't clear. 

And on top of what ryanbush said, you can buy airfare through other discounted providers through the rewards mall.

I bought tickets through Travelocity at 1 point/dollar (base), 1 point/dollar (travel bonus), plus 2 points/dollar (UR Mall through Travelocity) for a total of 4 points/dollar spent.

Right now, bonuses for discount travel providers are:

Expedia - 1 extra point/dollar

Hotwire - 2 extra point/dollar

Priceline - 1 extra point/dollar

Travelocity - 2 extra point/dollar

Orbitz - 1 extra point/dollar

I don't know if all of these qualify for the base 2x for travel, but Travelocity did.

|||||||
Message 8 of 18
Omri
New Contributor

@kwinks wrote:

Sorry I wasn't clear. 

You are right that you only get the 25% bonus on points if you book travel with points through UR. So, say, if you have 40k UR points, you can book $500 through UR.

What I'm doing, however, which is frequently better, is transferring a ton of points to United frequent flyer miles through the "points transfer" option with CSP. My 60k UR points become a free round trip ticket to Europe (well, I have to pay like $60-70 in airport fees and such) that would normally cost at least $1,200 if I paid cash. So I essentially am getting 2 cents value for each point. Points transfer to partner airlines is definitely the way to go with CSP!

Recent FICO scores: TU - 755 (mortgage lender pull)
Message 9 of 18
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

Is there a newer version of the trifecta?  Or is it completely gone if you aren't grandfathered in?

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.