Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSP NSF after opening

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CSP NSF after opening

Recently opened a new CSP card and already hit my sign up bonus mark. I submitted a payment before my first statement cut but linked the incorrect checking account and therefore it returned the payment. Chase does not see it as returned yet on their side (but will probably by tomorrow). I called and spoke with a rep to see if the payment will be resubmitted but she did not know. Has anyone had experience with this? I've transferred the necessary funds to the correct checking account now but unsure if I should submit another or just wait for Chase to retry the returned payment? Also want to make sure this does not affect my sign up bonus. My first statement cuts in about a 8 days.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: CSP NSF after opening

If it's resubmitted, it will be for the same "wrong checking", so that's the last thing you want, unless you put the funds into that account, but even in that case, I wouldn't wait to see what happens

Some lenders will attempt another ACH, others will not. Ive never been in this situation, so I have no idea what Chase's policy is. 

Pay it now, bring the balance to $0.00 then hope (pray) it stops there. This is pretty serious issue, and probably the worst thing that can happen. 

Message 2 of 6
designated_knitter
Established Contributor

Since this was your first payment on a new card, I wouldn't be surprised if Chase assumed the worst and closed this account.

NSF (as I've personally found out) is a carnal sin in the eyes of even the most forgiving lenders even when you have an established relationship with them.  Many cards actually put holds on your first few payments just because this is a common practice amongst fraudsters... especially if you've already claimed the SUB.

do as @Remedios said and pay it down to zero.  In fact, if you have a branch near you and can pay your bill in branch, walk the certified funds (or cash) into the branch today.  Hope for the best but expect the worst.

Started Over Again after Cap1 Death Penalty:
06/15/2019:
03/02/2021:
04/06/2021:
05/28/2021:
Lesson Learned: DON'T POKE THE BEAR!!! THE BEAR WILL WIN!!!
Message 3 of 6
Kidcat
Established Contributor

Wow no bueno.  I never understand this error...if you are working with more than one checking account I would suggest you push payments directly from your account to the creditor in the future.  Especially since you paid even before statement cut. I hope it works out for you but I wouldn't hold out hope.  Perhaps if you also bank with Chase, or had some prior relationship with Chase that might help.

Last app 09/21/2021. Gardening Goal Oct 2023
Message 4 of 6
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

@Kidcat wrote:

Wow no bueno.  I never understand this error...if you are working with more than one checking account I would suggest you push payments directly from your account to the creditor in the future.  Especially since you paid even before statement cut. I hope it works out for you but I wouldn't hold out hope.  Perhaps if you also bank with Chase, or had some prior relationship with Chase that might help.

I've done it once, though thankfully w/ student loans, who didn't seem to care.  I'd left an account that I'd emptied before we moved on my list and, tho it wasn't the default, somehow accidentally tried to pay with it many months later.  I learned a lesson about clearing out old payment accounts that, luckily, wasn't harsher.  Hopefully this works out for you, OP, and I agree with the posters above that the best you can probably do is get payment on the account as quickly as possible and hope for the best.

Message 5 of 6
Kidcat
Established Contributor

@Slabenstein wrote:

@Kidcat wrote:

I've done it once, though thankfully w/ student loans, who didn't seem to care.  I'd left an account that I'd emptied before we moved on my list and, tho it wasn't the default, somehow accidentally tried to pay with it many months later.  I learned a lesson about clearing out old payment accounts that, luckily, wasn't harsher.  Hopefully this works out for you, OP, and I agree with the posters above that the best you can probably do is get payment on the account as quickly as possible and hope for the best.

Good point.  I was speaking more to a new account that you are setting up.  I get that people change bank accounts and there may be old information on an existing account.  But under that circumstance I suspect the old bank info is a closed account.  But on a newly set up account if you have multiple accounts that you use, you are likely better off pushing payments, or keeping a healthy balance in each account for these such occasions.

Last app 09/21/2021. Gardening Goal Oct 2023
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.