Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSP & AMEX GOLD

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CSP & AMEX GOLD

Hi, 

I've had both the amex gold and CSP for a while now. I was wondering if anyone can help me out whether it makes sense to use both the amex gold and/or CSP at the same time or close one account? I want to maximize both cards to make the annual fee worth it..

I also have the chase freedom unlimited as I would like to use that along with the CSP to get some major cash back. 

Thanks Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: CSP & AMEX GOLD

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, 

I've had both the amex gold and CSP for a while now. I was wondering if anyone can help me out whether it makes sense to use both the amex gold and/or CSP at the same time or close one account? I want to maximize both cards to make the annual fee worth it..

I also have the chase freedom unlimited as I would like to use that along with the CSP to get some major cash back. 

Thanks Smiley Happy

Think you just answered your own question there. Drop the Gold and keep the CSP/FU combo you have. MR points are horrible for cash redemptions unless you have the Schwab Plat. With UR points they're a flat 1ct/pt if you redeem for cash. Just use CSP for dining/travel and FU for everything else.

Message 2 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, 

Thanks Smiley Happy

Think you just answered your own question there. Drop the Gold and keep the CSP/FU combo you have. MR points are horrible for cash redemptions unless you have the Schwab Plat. With UR points they're a flat 1ct/pt if you redeem for cash. Just use CSP for dining/travel and FU for everything else.

But also, if cashback is really what you want, close both Gold and CSP to remove the AF, and get one of the free 2% everywhere cards.

Message 3 of 11
wasCB14
Super Contributor

And consider the CSR. Depending on your account age, you may be able to PC your CSP to CSR.

Or PC your CSP to a 5x Freedom (not the Unlimited). Some people have reported this as a complex process. You might be eligible for a bonus on CSR as a new account.

CSR offers better rewards and travel protections than CSP for a net AF that is only moderately higher.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I might consider doing that 

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did forget to mention that I do also travel and eat out a lot. So I'll take airline trips sometimes throughout the year, and I always take the subway. 

Message 6 of 11
NRB525
Super Contributor

So, is your reference to “cash back” only generalized, what you mean to say is “travel rewards” ?
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 7 of 11
RicHowe
Valued Contributor

I have both CSP and AMEX Gold as well.

I use AMEX Gold for 4X MR Points for Restaurant/Grocery Spend and Airline credit.

I use CSP for Primary CDW when renting cars, Citi Access tickets and such.

For me, both cards suit their purpose. But I'm also more of a MR person who derives benefit from the AMEX program.

Message 8 of 11
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:
So, is your reference to “cash back” only generalized, what you mean to say is “travel rewards” ?

This. OP is confusing me now.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

calculate your points yourself here https://www.thepointcalculator.com/Home

you are asking people to make a decision for you without knowing how you spend, its usually not a good way to make a decision.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.