cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSP better for dining spend than Forward?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CSP better for dining spend than Forward?

@icyhot wrote:
Yeah but I've pretty much used all my TYP.....I have 167 now.....itd be forever to spend to reach a good amount. Plus I have an AF on the CSP, might as well spend more on that one

It sounds like you'd prefer to use the CSP, so in my opinion you may as well. Even if the rewards value is a bit lower, if you prefer the other card and it's redemption then why not use it, I doubt the difference is all that important overall.

Message 11 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

i believe UR points are better! and the worse are the plenti (macys and new amex) .. but that off topic

GL 

Message 12 of 32
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the input! I'll keep my forward in my other wallet
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 13 of 32
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@icyhot wrote:
Cuz you know you gotta get enough rewards to "justify" it, so they say. Lol.

But "they" don't make much sense!

LongTimeLurker Bank offers two credit cards this week, one gives 1% back on all purchases, and has a $10 AF.  We also offer a free card that gives 1.5% on everything.   If you are lucky enough to have both, instead of putting spend on the first to justify the AF, you should in fact close it.   Similarly, if the CSP is either worth the fee or not, don't need to put spend on just to reassure yourself you made the right decision!

Message 14 of 32
icyhot
Valued Contributor

I love the CSP....it's great. I figured it'd just be best to use it for dining since I also use it for travel, my two biggest spends, and they both happen to be bonus categories
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K

Message 15 of 32
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Depends on what you will utilize the points for.

I know a TYP is roughly worth half value when redeemed as cash/statement credit so that would be 2.5% in cash on your 5x dining. But it is worth much more when redeemed towards other things, though you indicated not having the higher level TYP cards. Also, your Forward has no AF.

Your CSP has a $95 AF to come out ahead of, and only earns 2% on dining (cash redemptions). Now if you're constantly using the points to the maximum value, you can overcome the AF and come out ahead but it takes a lot more spend than some people realize.

I'd definitely hesitate to close the Forward. It's no longer available, nor is anything like it. As others mentioned, 2% dining is a common benefit, and you can get it for free from a few cards (or get 2% period free with a Double Cash).

Message 16 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Honestly, I'd keep the Forward and continue to try out the CSP. You can evaluate later if the CSP actually will work for you with it's AF.

Message 17 of 32
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Forward by itself gives 5 points per dollar on dining, amazon, and "entertainment." As a straight statement credit, that's 2.5% back. With travel certificates (IE: Hyatt Gift Cards) you get a full 5% value (1cpp) 

Pair the forward with the citi premier and those 5 points on dining are worth up to 1.25 cents per point (when redeemed for travel), giving you a return of 6.25% on dining, amazon, and entertainment purchases. 

Pair the forward with the citi prestige, and those points are worth up to 1.6 cents per point (when redeemed for AA/US flights) or 1.33 cents per point (when redeemed for travel) giving you a value of 8% back on dining, amazon, and entertainment when redeemed for AA/US flights, or 6.65% when redeemed for other travel. 

the 8% figure is almost impossible to match, as that is on EVERY AA/US (and I've read codeshare flights count too) flight....Whereas if you bank points from a specific program (FF, or hotel programs) you MIGHT find a redemption that will give you 8+ cents per point value, but these points are GUARANTEED that value when redeemed on AA/US flights. 

Message 18 of 32
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Honestly, I'd keep the Forward and continue to try out the CSP. You can evaluate later if the CSP actually will work for you with it's AF.

I understand the intent of what you are saying, but there is no real need to "try out" a card to see if it will work with the AF. Instead, simply do the math. Numbers don't lie. What do you spend every month? On what categories? This will tell you what your rewards total will be. Compare that against the AF and decide if it makes sense over a no AF card.

I just don't understand the whole "try it out" thing when you can simply run the numbers (there are plenty of charts around here as well!) and figure it out without applying. I know OP already has the CSP anyway, but obtaining cards to then decide if they will work for you or not is IMO unnecessary.

Message 19 of 32
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Definitely not closing the Forward! Not by any means. Lol. "Entertainment" is also a category and I get huge rewards when I buy football and concert tickets.

Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.